• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 31.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.1%

• Total voters

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you think I would notice an improvement over my Drop HD58x? I notice the sensitivity is lower HE400SE. I use MOTU M4 and with the HD58x the headphone knob is typically set to about1 o'clock.
I have the HE400i, HE4XX and HD58X, I think you will be better off upgrading to something better than the HE400SE if at all. My M2 clips at 3 o'clock, so I'm not sure I would risk it if I were you as well

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Finally, the long awaited HE400SE review. I have had mine since May, and always thought they were a fantastic buy at $149. I suspected that low distortion might be a factor in my liking them so much, and that does appear to be the case.

You have to ask yourself - why pay more? How much more enjoyment will a headphone $1000, $2000, or more likely bring?

My setup for them includes a $25 Rebel 4 TracFone using WiFi and Amazon music, and a three wire OTG always powered USB cable to a $109 Qudelix 5k. And the Qudelix great PEQ facility allows tweaking the fr as I like.

I did spend $42 for a balanced cable for the extra oomph. Definitely worth it.
So, for:
$25 TracFone
$149 HE400SE
$109 Qudelix 5k
$42 balanced cable

Or $300 some odd, I have IMO, a great armchair, desktop, and portable very enjoyable system. What's not to like?

Typed as listening to Masaaki Suzuki Bach Organ Works...

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally, the long awaited HE400SE review. I have had mine since May, and always thought they were a fantastic buy at $149. I suspected that low distortion might be a factor in my liking them so much, and that does appear to be the case.

You have to ask yourself - why pay more? How much more enjoyment will a headphone $1000, $2000, or more likely bring?

My setup for them includes a $25 Rebel 4 TracFone using WiFi and Amazon music, and a three wire OTG always powered USB cable to a $109 Qudelix 5k. And the Qudelix great PEQ facility allows tweaking the fr as I like.

I did spend $42 for a balanced cable for the extra oomph. Definitely worth it.
So, for:
$25 TracFone
$149 HE400SE
$109 Qudelix 5k
$42 balanced cable

Or $300 some odd, I have IMO, a great armchair, desktop, and portable very enjoyable system. What's not to like?
That aftermarket balanced headphone cable does make a good difference compared to the factory one. I have a pair of balanced cables and a pair of Tripowin GrandVia unbalanced 3.5mm which are used with different amps.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While we're all moaning about the "sensitivity" chart, I'll complain that the labels & numbers are out of phase.

half_dog

@amirm Can you tell which version is this HE400se? There are 2 versions, a stealth and non-stealth magnets. Usually the stealth version has a sticker on the box displaying this detail.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Can you tell which version is this HE400se? There are 2 version, a stealth and non-stealth magnets. Usually the stealth version has a sticker on the box displaying this detail.
It does have a sticker saying stealth magnet design. Does it make it "V2?"

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

half_dog

Does it make it "V2?"
I can't tell that means a version 2. What I recall when it was released there was two versions: stealth and non-stealth. The first was suposed to be for international market and the last only for chinese market - I am not complety sure about this information.
BTW, thanks as always for your reviews!

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
These look like a good buy from a SQ perspective. Can anyone weigh in on comfort? My only experience with hifiman were the drop non planar magnetic headphones which i thought sounded really bad and had the most uncomfortable pads and ergonomics i've ever encountered.

I've always wanted to try a planar and HiFiman makes a "few" and this seems like it could be it but this headphone do anything exceptional that would make it stand out against other headphones in the price range (even up to 300ish USD)? I have been leary about their QC and not willing to gamble on anything too expensive.

brandonhall

Forum Donor
This is a prime example of the beauty of this site. The occasional diamond in the rough which is an absolute slam dunk for the money. Granted, this is a popular item but so is a lot of junk that gets tested.

Pugsly

I have these along with the Sennheiser HD6xx on my bedside table, and love them both. It is interesting to compare them, however, as even with eq they have a very different flavour so that I will prefer one on a day, another on the other. Anyone else have these and willing to suggest (a) what kind of difference they hear, and (b) why we would hear them? @amirm since I know you have and appreciate both (or rather 650, but supposed to be the same...) what is your experience and/or explanation (if it matches mine, or do you hear no diff once eq'd?)

Vladetz

Very good results for the price. Enjoying mine for 2 weeks. Also I can say that they feel very comfortable on head.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm since I know you have and appreciate both (or rather 650, but supposed to be the same...) what is your experience and/or explanation (if it matches mine, or do you hear no diff once eq'd?)
I need to compare them side by side which I have not done. So nothing specific to share right now.

Top Bottom