• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400se Owner's Thread.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I created this thread to have all the owners and members have a place to discuss these headphones without creating more discussion threads within the official review. Please feel free to post any questions and concerns that you may have regarding these headphones in this thread.

ASR Hifiman HE400se Review

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I don’t own these but thanks for starting this thread. It’ll help to keep the official review thread a little less cluttered.

(Edit: added info)

Reference Info

Specs (per HiFiMan)
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
  • Impedance: 25Ω (verified in Amir's measurements)
  • Sensitivity: 91dB
  • Weight: 390g / 13.75 oz (Amir measured 385g)
  • Cups:
    • Diameter: 61mm
    • Depth: 21mm

PEQ Profile
Amir's PEQ profile as provided by @sweetchaos in the measurement thread:

Preamp: -6.7 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 37 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1950 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 3.0

Last edited:

luxonator

If anyone has any personal experiences or anecdotal opinions, I'm curious on how the HE400se compares to HE-X4 or HE560 v4.

I'm trying to dip my toes on planars for the first time and I have these options atm:

Brand new HE400SE - 170euros
Second hand but "as new" HE-X4 - 130euros
Second hand "slightly used" HE560 v4 - 250euros

There is also the Sundera for 350euros but it's kinda high for my budget right now, so some of those cheaper ones would be more preferable.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perforated pads on the HE400SE is quite phenomenal to be honest.
I have the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for my HE400se and yes they definitely are phenomenal

Timbo2

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call me an audiophool, but has anybody else with replacement pads for their HE400se noticed that perforated pads somehow have opened up the clarity and detail of the headphones? With the stock pads, I noticed details and clarity to be a bit muddled at times, whereas with the perforated pads there is distinct clarity on the same track.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call me an audiophool, but has anybody else with replacement pads for their HE400se noticed that perforated pads somehow have opened up the clarity and detail of the headphones? With the stock pads, I noticed details and clarity to be a bit muddled at times, whereas with the perforated pads there is distinct clarity on the same track.

Pads make a real difference to FR, so nothing audiophool there.

Timbo2

Well, I just had these things apart for third time. This time I had to remove the entire driver as one of the nuts that clamps the driver had fully backed off and was rattling around inside the plastic ear cup housing.

Let me just say I have a mixed recommendation on these. I really enjoy the sound, but the design and quality control leave more than a little bit to be desired.

TinEaredOne

If anyone has any personal experiences or anecdotal opinions, I'm curious on how the HE400se compares to HE-X4 or HE560 v4.

I'm trying to dip my toes on planars for the first time and I have these options atm:

Brand new HE400SE - 170euros
Second hand but "as new" HE-X4 - 130euros
Second hand "slightly used" HE560 v4 - 250euros

There is also the Sundera for 350euros but it's kinda high for my budget right now, so some of those cheaper ones would be more preferable.
From the reviews, it looks like they are quite similar. The key difference appears to be different, "stealth" magnets used in the HE400SE but not in the HE-X4, which uses non-stealth magnets - both are dual sided drivers, though. Here's the main review I found - it's also on YouTube: https://forum.headphones.com/t/drop-x-hifiman-he-x4/12561?u=resolve. I just ordered a pair from Drop for $99. Looks like they're out at the moment on the US site. Very excited to get them. First planars for me, too.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the reviews, it looks like they are quite similar. The key difference appears to be different, "stealth" magnets used in the HE400SE but not in the HE-X4, which uses non-stealth magnets - both are dual sided drivers, though. Here's the main review I found - it's also on YouTube: https://forum.headphones.com/t/drop-x-hifiman-he-x4/12561?u=resolve. I just ordered a pair from Drop for $99. Looks like they're out at the moment on the US site. Very excited to get them. First planars for me, too.
Welcome to the planar bass club. It'd be nice to have those measured and reviewed by Amir since they are entry level and affordable headphones.

TinEaredOne

Welcome to the planar bass club. It'd be nice to have those measured and reviewed by Amir since they are entry level and affordable headphones.
Thanks. Listening to them right now - just came today. Not finding them very hard to drive. Eager to hear them through proper amplification, as good as they are through the DAC and amp on my Gigabyte motherboard and my MacBook Air. I don't listen very loud and I'm at about 40% on both to drive the headphones to my preferred listening volume, which is the point at which I can hear all of the music. My AKG K612 Pro's are harder to drive.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those HE-X4 look good, the distortion measures lower than the HE4XX according to the graphs on Drop and likewise the frequency response looks smooth (especially for a planar). For $99 they seem excellent, I'd like to see them measured by both Amir & Oratory. (I have the HE4XX as my only planar headphone)

TinEaredOne

Those HE-X4 look good, the distortion measures lower than the HE4XX according to the graphs on Drop and likewise the frequency response looks smooth (especially for a planar). For $99 they seem excellent, I'd like to see them measured by both Amir & Oratory. (I have the HE4XX as my only planar headphone)
I'm enjoying mine. The only thing that has surprised me at this point is how warm they get. My open AKG headphones allow a bunch of air through and that's not the case with the HE-X4. I suspect it's due to the fact that the entire thing is taken up by the planar driver. No real air flow, even though they let in sound. That said, I'm finding them quite musical. My limit for wearing them is based on the amount of heat building up. I don't find them uncomfortable at all otherwise, though I don't think I'll ever not notice the added weight.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm enjoying mine. The only thing that has surprised me at this point is how warm they get. My open AKG headphones allow a bunch of air through and that's not the case with the HE-X4. I suspect it's due to the fact that the entire thing is taken up by the planar driver. No real air flow, even though they let in sound. That said, I'm finding them quite musical. My limit for wearing them is based on the amount of heat building up. I don't find them uncomfortable at all otherwise, though I don't think I'll ever not notice the added weight.
If you live in the US you could consider sending them to Amir to be measured. On a further plus side you'd be able to use his frequency response measurements to EQ them better.

TinEaredOne

If you live in the US you could consider sending them to Amir to be measured. On a further plus side you'd be able to use his frequency response measurements to EQ them better.
Tough ask. I haven't even broken them in yet. Still, maybe at some point...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tough ask. I haven't even broken them in yet. Still, maybe at some point...
I know, just a thought, doing your bit + getting something back in return.......see how it goes, and I guess if you're interested contact Amir to see if he's receptive to more headphones at that point.

rolloj

I just received the HIFIMAN 400SE headphones from Amazon, and fulfilled by Hifiman as the seller. The box was not sealed ( the tape on the sides of the package was slit open ) and the seal was broken of the cellophane bag that contained the cable. I could not really determine if the headphones had been used or worn. I placed a call to HIFIMAN in New York and questioned them, but could not really explain why the seals would have been opened. They suggested I return the phones and try to get another pair.

My question is, has anyone received these headphones recently from Amazon with the seals broken.

Naturally, I am sending the headphones back to Amazon and am not happy.

Thanks for reading.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received the HIFIMAN 400SE headphones from Amazon, and fulfilled by Hifiman as the seller. The box was not sealed ( the tape on the sides of the package was slit open ) and the seal was broken of the cellophane bag that contained the cable. I could not really determine if the headphones had been used or worn. I placed a call to HIFIMAN in New York and questioned them, but could not really explain why the seals would have been opened. They suggested I return the phones and try to get another pair.

My question is, has anyone received these headphones recently from Amazon with the seals broken.

Naturally, I am sending the headphones back to Amazon and am not happy.

Thanks for reading.
That’s really unfortunate that you received a pair that are questionable. Good thing is you have Amazon to save the day.
I ordered my pair directly from Hifiman and they came with no compromises.

luxonator

Just a quick follow up to my previous post regarding the ear cup size and comfort compared to Sennheiser HD598/599.

The ear cup diameter on the HE400se is a lil bit too small for my liking. I don't have symmetrical ears (right ear shape is inherited from my mother's side and left is from my father's side).

So my left ear's earlobe gets constantly squeezed under the pad which causes mild annoyance and discomfort when wearing these headphones. On the other hand my right ear sits (or rather feels) perfectly fine. I really can't explain what is different as my ears are not *that* different.

People said that (for them) the ear cups on the HE400se are plenty enough, for me this sadly isn't the case and the shape/size of the Sennheiser cups is perfect for me.

Note. The annoyance/"discomfort" isn't big enough to make me send these back, maybe just limit longer listening sessions.

I also notice the weight difference and the HE400se also make my ears feel hotter than while using the Sennheisers. I'm sure my head/neck will get used to the extra weight, will have to see if the heat is going to become a problem or is it also just something I need to get used to.

Besides those little issues I'm loving the HE400se! A clear upgrade from the HD598/599

Last edited:
Top Bottom