• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Barry_G

Anyone in here prefer Sundara over XS?
In a word, no. I bought them both at the same time to compare them. I did like the Sundara, but it wasn't close. XS is in a completely different league.

Last edited:

frankh

I was very happy with my Sundara until I received the Edition XS. The Edition XS is definitely an overall improvement compared to the Sundara. I'm not saying that the Sundara is bad....In fact for the price, the Sundara is a fantastic headphone but the Edition XS is way better in every way.

TechEnthusiast

Anyone sample Sundara vs ED XS vs Ananda vs Arya? I have and Edition XS is the KING....for me because it sounds great and fits my head! There is very little difference between Arya and the XS, whereas the XS blows the other 2 away in my opinion. Sundara is worth half what the XS is priced so it comes closest. Arya is just a waste of money, it just fits better "for some" over the XS. The Ananda Stealth should be placed somewhere between the Sundara and XS. FWIW I never heard the original Ananda and heard that was a gem.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The EDXS, is not that perfect, but, it is the best value for money in Hifiman range, and possibly among many other brands.
Frankly up to £600 I wouldn't buy anything else.

oceansize

Forum Donor
The EDXS, is not that perfect, but, it is the best value for money in Hifiman range, and possibly among many other brands.
Frankly up to £600 I wouldn't buy anything else.
This. I might spring for something like Dan Clark's if I have too much spare money lying around, but I'm not sure I'd get too much benefit from such a purchase, other than pride of ownership. But these (Edition XS) are seriously good value for money.

I do. I prefer Sundara comfort and build wise (round earpads give me a better fit than the eggshaped ones, and while Sundara headband is nothing special, the XS headband is absolutely hot garbage). Biggest difference sound wise, Sundara sounded punchier(?) than XS, this can be good or bad depending on your preferences. XS sounded a smidge more detailed, but not as much as the price difference would suggest. Still, both offer probably the best sound for the money, but at the cost of compromises and quirks regarding build/materials/QC.

Volikovvv

Hello! I am an owner of Edition XS with powerdac v2.1, but currently i'm very interested in fiio btr7 product and use cases. Somebody have experience with btr7? This amplifier will be enough for edition xs on balanced?

DrFlimFlam

got both

sundaras sounds worse and are also much more uncomfortable. The pads of the XS are so big that any ear can be inside comfortably. I would prefer the xs for that reason alone, but on top of that, they sound much better specially the bass.

cheapmessiah

Went on a work trip for a month, i come back and my 3rd EDXS unit, that didnt have a problem, now has the same problem as the other 2 units, membrane rattles against the magnets, from 60 to 165hz, then again at 180hz, and at 220hz, rendering the whole bass spectrum unusable, and not nly that, now the same side also has pinging, menaning that even listening to videos on low volume makes the membrane either hit the magnets just a litle bit or the trace is separating from the membrane at some point and i can hear the adhesive releasing tension onto the membrane.

This set is great when it works, but i find it insane that a 550€ product can have such preposterous quality control, this it outrageous even for hifiman.

poxymoron

Went on a work trip for a month, i come back and my 3rd EDXS unit, that didnt have a problem, now has the same problem as the other 2 units, membrane rattles against the magnets, from 60 to 165hz, then again at 180hz, and at 220hz, rendering the whole bass spectrum unusable, and not nly that, now the same side also has pinging, menaning that even listening to videos on low volume makes the membrane either hit the magnets just a litle bit or the trace is separating from the membrane at some point and i can hear the adhesive releasing tension onto the membrane.

This set is great when it works, but i find it insane that a 550€ product can have such preposterous quality control, this it outrageous even for hifiman.
I feel for you. I was thinking of buying these headphones in the coming weeks, but I was concerned about the build quality. Don't think I could even consider them now, with so many horror stories on their build quality.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One also has to make sure to buy these locally at a reputable dealer. Hifiman's warranty conditions suck big time. I bought mine at AliExpress and the day they fail I will be screwed. Simply didn't knew about their stupid warranty regulations before.

cheapmessiah

I bought mine on amazon, and in Spain we get 3 years of warranty by law, the problem is that i suspect amazon wont replace them a third time, and even if they did it might be the whole batch thats compromised, the alternative would be to get my money back but I dont want that, I want these headphones workng properly.

Veri

Master Contributor
I think HD580 Precision/HD600 fully deserve their cult status :D

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Anyone compared xs vs hd 600?
Honestly - if it's between the HD6XX and the XS - the XS, hands down. That's what I'll say.
So as not have had any experience with the HD600 - I don't think my opinion would land any different.

okok

One also has to make sure to buy these locally at a reputable dealer. Hifiman's warranty conditions suck big time. I bought mine at AliExpress and the day they fail I will be screwed. Simply didn't knew about their stupid warranty regulations before.

wow wow wow, Manufacturer opens fire, that's rare and historic, actually they are famous for their qc, the $7000 susvara can be just like that any day

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wow wow wow, Manufacturer opens fire, that's rare and historic, actually they are famous for their qc, the $7000 susvara can be just like that any day
Infamous is more apt ;).
Their warranty conditions, may have something to do with it.
Ali (anything but)express dealers may be selling QC failures, and the good ones may be going to Amazon, or to dealers in Europe or USA.

Top Bottom