• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Solved: Believe it or not. It was the stock cable causing the distortion. I did not yet cut it open, but it must have been short-circuited at least by a hairbreadth somewhere inside. With a replacement cable (TRS to dual TS) now it works as it should, free from distortion even at very loud level. Stock cable made a poor impression instantly when I saw these meaningless dual TRS plugs on a single-ended cable.
I reviewed the EDXS in Dec 21 I believe, and I declared that the bundled cable was shit! I think I said "chuck it out of the window".
Many objected to that, accused me of this and that.
Time vindicated me.
Best ready-made cable I ever used with EDXS, was the bundled short cable that came with a pair of Focal Clear!

1657799060612.png

pickyAudiophile

I reviewed the EDXS in Dec 21 I believe, and I declared that the bundled cable was shit! I think I said "chuck it out of the window".
Time vindicated me.
Best ready-made cable I ever used with EDXS, was the bundled short cable that came with a pair of Focal Clear!
That corresponds with my subjective evaluation very well. I went for this one here (from vendor's site: https://1010music.com/product/35mm-m2m-breakout), it's priced below 9 Euros, just a little short at 1.4m (for UK pricing see https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/1010-Music-Breakout-3-5-male/art-SYN0008160-000 ). It's a night-and-day difference compared to the creepy stock cable, so much more fun to listen to these headphones right now. However I did not manage to find Focal cables anywhere as spare parts available to non-owners of Focal headphones.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However I did not manage to find Focal cables anywhere as spare parts available to non-owners of Focal headphones.
You wouldn't!
Unless someone sells a used one, and that would be expensive.
The Clears are a £1000 pair of cans, very well-made throughout.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Time vindicated me.

View attachment 218256
We need to differentiate "shit" from "broken"/"faulty"

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We need to differentiate "shit" from "broken"/"faulty"
Shit means, I don't like them, they don't work, they are ugly, they mess with the sound . . .
All of the above!
I suppose faulty comes under the banner of shit in my book.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

pickyAudiophile

You wouldn't!
Unless someone sells a used one, and that would be expensive.
The Clears are a £1000 pair of cans, very well-made throughout.
Focal IMO designed to fit small to medium size auricles best and unfortunately (french design: sleek and 'sexy'). Had these (MG version) on my head and which was a really constricting and therefore short experience, likewise e.g. Denon D9200. Oddly enough a chinese company like Hifiman consistently builds large ear cups which come close to my old AKG K812 in matters of liberty to head extremities.

Baron

Hello, men! Could you please advise if Chord mojo enough to drive XS or full-size amplifier is required?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, men! Could you please advise if Chord mojo enough to drive XS or full-size amplifier is required?
Yes it is enough!
Not enough to rattle your skull, or if you are a head-banger.
I did have both Mojo1 and 2, I used them for good few months with an EDXS.
I perhaps maxed out the volume on some softer recordings, but not as a routine.

Pawlakbest

Stock cable from my 1st and 2nd pair of Edition XS had problem with contact in 3,5mm jack. I would lose sound in left or right cup even if I didn't do anything. I had to replug or move cable a little to restore the sound. Today I ordered a new cable as there seems to be no fix to the stock one.
My source is Topping L30, so no balanced output. I bought these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacemen...connector-Headphones-dual-3-5mm/dp/B08CXP6L1X and they are from Ablet, same as these:
Is this what you got from Amazon:
If yes, then take this:
I actually tested a few cables for resistance, inductance and capacitance. The non-balanced version of this cable was the worst! it actually shared the ground wire to the Y split !
Of all the silly things to do to save a penny.
The cable had the highest resistance, specially on ground wire, and highest capacitance.
Of all the ready-made cables that I tested at my disposal, one cable stood out.
That being the bundled cable with Focal Clear headphones I had at the time, and equally sounded the best.
The science says, the lowest resistance, the lowest capacitance and lowest inductance cables, should in theory be the least problematic.
Some amps and/or headphones may be sensitive to some cable parameters, if that would be the case, then the above cable should be chosen.
Do you think I should return them or the unbalanced cables(these in particular) from this company are ok? Any other cables that are not too expensive and are 1,5m long(1,5m is perfect for me)? Preferably from Amazon or Aliexpress.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stock cable from my 1st and 2nd pair of Edition XS had problem with contact in 3,5mm jack. I would lose sound in left or right cup even if I didn't do anything. I had to replug or move cable a little to restore the sound. Today I ordered a new cable as there seems to be no fix to the stock one.
My source is Topping L30, so no balanced output. I bought these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacemen...connector-Headphones-dual-3-5mm/dp/B08CXP6L1X and they are from Ablet, same as these:

Do you think I should return them or the unbalanced cables(these in particular) from this company are ok? Any other cables that are not too expensive and are 1,5m long(1,5m is perfect for me)? Preferably from Amazon or Aliexpress.
If you are asking me, I wouldn't know, but the cable looks suspiciously similar to the bad cable I had tested.
I know it is cheap, but the one I had tested had cheapened out on material badly.
You have a lovely pair of cans, if I were you, I get something better.

Pawlakbest

If you are asking me, I wouldn't know, but the cable looks suspiciously similar to the bad cable I had tested.
I know it is cheap, but the one I had tested had cheapened out on material badly.
You have a lovely pair of cans, if I were you, I get something better.
Still needs some recommendation as I don't know anything about cables and what makes one better than the other.

Golgoth

Hi guys,

I received my XS last week. I really love them sound-wise but comfort-wise they are absolutely atrocious, my worst headphone so far on the comfort aspect. I m rather tall and thin (thin face) and the headband was causing a pressure spot on the top of my head forcing me to remove the headphone after 15-30min. I had to order some Dekoni audio nuggets to solve this issue (Dekoni, get an official French reseller!). I would have returned the headphone if those nuggets didn't worked. Sadly this is just the first comfort issue. The second one is that the Edition XS earpads feel like ovens! Wearing them in summer feels like cooking your ears. When i remove the headphone the area that was covered by the Edition XS earpads is sweaty.

So all in all If the Edition XS didn't disappoint sound-wise, comfort-wise they are a huge disappointment on my side.

frankh

I bought my Edition XS today and I'm very impressed with it's amazing sound quality. It out performs my Sudara in every way and the Edition XS is definitely one of the most comfortable headphones that I've owned to date. Anyone who finds the Edition XS uncomfortable should go try the Audeze LCD-X and maybe that might change their mind ;)

Last edited:
I bought my Edition XS today and I'm very impressed with it's amazing sound quality. It out performs my Sudara in every way and the Edition XS is definitely one of the most comfortable headphones that I've owned to date. Anyone who finds the Edition XS uncomfortable should go try the Audeze LCD-X and maybe that might change their mind ;)
That's funny. I found LCD-X comfortable despite the weight, it's well distributed by the headband and the pads are very thick and comfortable. On the other hand, the egg shaped HifiMan models, XS included, are not comfortable at all to me as they reach too low over the jaw (much prefer Sundara/HE6 round cup fit). I also found the XS's headband style to be the worst of HifiMan's, their suspension strap headbands feel more comfortable to me.

frankh

That's funny. I found LCD-X comfortable despite the weight, it's well distributed by the headband and the pads are very thick and comfortable. On the other hand, the egg shaped HifiMan models, XS included, are not comfortable at all to me as they reach too low over the jaw (much prefer Sundara/HE6 round cup fit). I also found the XS's headband style to be the worst of HifiMan's, their suspension strap headbands feel more comfortable to me.
It's pretty obvious you have a very small head then.

Top Bottom