• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Luke Lemke

Thanks for the response and for checking! Here is another example - just the first 10 secs with that pulsating bass. I absolutely don't suggest you should torture and stress test your pair, but the tone generator cleared all the doubts I had. I started at 270 Hz and went down in 20 Hz intervals. With songs I had to crank the 887 to ~1 o'clock in mid gain (XLR), but with pure tones, in the 220-200 Hz region the resonance was clearly audible at 11 o'clock.

As said in my post, I tried two pairs, both had the same issue. Just before the weekend, I went to the dealer and the salesman gave me an Arya Stealth to audition. The resonance was there too, with both of us hearing it in the above song (I took my Tone2 Pro with me, so it was near max volume in high gain).

So I'd say it's a design thing. Made me remember the discussions here about Focal drivers (see the Clear Pro review). Another option is the dealer got an entire batch of faulty Hifimans...

As I already wrote, I'm far from hating on the headphone. I know it's perfectly competent with most material at normal volume levels. And on top of that, it has some outstanding qualities I listed in my previous post. At low to moderate levels, the sub-bass was indeed impressive. But If my $150 cans can handle all I throw at them and then some, I expect the $500 ones to do the same, and excellent performance in other areas just can't make up for that in my opinion.

EDIT: could I be hearing the reasonances @amirm caught when measuring the Aryas? It would match his observation of the effect extending up to several hundred Hertz:

View attachment 240089

The THD and group delay graphs in the review seem to confirm this. There is a spike to >1% distortion @200 Hz. No idea if I reached 114dBSPL when testing, but maybe it's just a tad more pronounced with the XS?
I trust you've heard the resonances and this bothered you. In my case, I can't really hear it. I have a headphone collection and the edition XS brings a lot to the table in terms of soundstage and the unique feeling of having "two speakers" around my head, as Amir stated. It's a keeper in my book.

Moderate Dionysianism

@Moderate Dionysianism ok do one thing here. I have the Tone2Pro as well - even when maxed out (especially when maxed out), it actually distorts my XS. The Tone2 I use primarily as a DAC for my SH-9. Alone, it cannot take the XS (even balanced out).

Try the low-end with a more powerful amp. These Hifimans draw a lot of current in the lows. Make sure you have enough. On my Tone, I was hearing distortion as well, in some other track, and wasn't even sub-bass.

I don't think all the XS, Aryas, Anandas are kaput.

These are some rare instances you're having. I mean, I'm not vouching for Hifman - their quality can be shit sometimes (never for me though, third pair of Hifimans, all going strong). But that is a general sentiment, so I will not defend Hifiman.

Still, for those who generally have a pair that is fine and free from any inherent flaws, it shouldn't have any issues and should play okay. Plenty of folks own all these large Hifimans from $400 right up to $2000 and beyond... The higher priced ones CAN piss one off, using cheaper materials still, with minimal difference, and sometimes even the same $50 headband and even shittier cables, but the incidents you're having are isolated, trust me.

Pls re-read my 1st post. The initial test (2 pairs of the XS) was with the Monolith 887, I just didn't take it with me to the dealership. The effect was exactly the same with the Aryas + T2P (once again, resonance, an "additional" sound, not clipping).

And for the 3rd time:) I'm not bashing the headphone or anyone who's happy with it. @Luke Lemke is spot on quoting that 'speakers on both sides of your head' characterization.

It just looks like I stumbled upon the subtle issues that Amir's measurements hinted at, thanks to my quirky musical choices:) That makes the XS not a pair for me. Wanted to share the experience and I guess this is all I have to say here. IMHO only thorough objective testing could take us further.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Pls re-read my 1st post. The initial test (2 pairs of the XS) was with the Monolith 887, I just didn't take it with me to the dealership. The effect was exactly the same with the Aryas + T2P (once again, resonance, an "additional" sound, not clipping).

And for the 3rd time:) I'm not bashing the headphone or anyone who's happy with it. @Luke Lemke is spot on quoting that 'speakers on both sides of your head' characterization.

It just looks like I stumbled upon the subtle issues that Amir's measurements hinted at, thanks to my quirky musical choices:) That makes the XS not a pair for me. Wanted to share the experience and I guess this is all I have to say here. IMHO only thorough objective testing could take us further.
Hmmm oh I see. Okay, yeah could be something wrong there - yes of course it's fine (you insisting on it I mean). Not everything for everybody, and not everyone hears things the same.

No, I'm not taking it as a bash at all - you're hearing it, so somethings definitely going on there. I'm just trying to isolate the problem. I'd do that for any pair of headphones that I have if someone reports they're hearing something, and I'd check and not hear it. I'd just be a bit curious as to what's really going on.

But of course I respect your every bit of your opinions. So I guess my takeaway here is - I'm still curious as to what's really happening, or why I'm not hearing it lol. :p

Anyhow, best of luck finding the right cans for you to be the successors to this one.

antyman

Hi all, apologies if this is off topic. I'm interested in purchasing the Edition XS and was looking up Crinacle's rankings, and wasn't able to find it. Does anyone know if the Edition X V2 in his ranking is the Edition XS? It looks like he has it listed at $1300 which threw me off. Is it possible he just hasn't added the XS to his rankings?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, apologies if this is off topic. I'm interested in purchasing the Edition XS and was looking up Crinacle's rankings, and wasn't able to find it. Does anyone know if the Edition X V2 in his ranking is the Edition XS? It looks like he has it listed at $1300 which threw me off. Is it possible he just hasn't added the XS to his rankings?
Edition X V2 is not the same as EDXS.
Go buy one, for the money you would be hard pushed to find better.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Edition X v2 is a different headphone. Likely just not updated the rankings.

Georgeadv

I am old-school! to whom Eq is sacrilege .
Having said that, Yes I did use Eq, but ever so slightly .
Both Sundara and EDXS sound good out of box, Eq is an option and not a must.
On EDXS , I boosted 1650Hz a little and used a gentle roll off after 10kHz.
That was just for taste.
Thank you
Whatever i get i plan to fully eq :p

ajkun

Mine arrived today, very impressive. Might be recency bias but rate em better than the omega 2s I used to have. Likely due to a weaker chain, flac > concero w/usb filter > srm-001 > omega 2, and at the moment it’s ALAC > macbook air > magni 3 > edition xs. Yes, I’m saying the new MacBook Air is comparable to a concero to my ears. (No I will not send my MacBook Air in to get measured)
My XS arrived with March 2022 serials and a non-recycled graphic box. No driver issues (knocking furiously on wood)
They don’t have the airiness I miss from my old Sr-202s after listening the Intro by the XX but that’s an apples and oranges comparison. More forward than my hd58X but not grado or W5000 intimate. I have a big head don’t any soundstage complaints or non center imaging. 3 clicks each side of the headband decent seal, maybe lightest at my temples and where my jaw meets my neck, but the cups and headband to have minor amounts of twist to help with that, and the clamp is just right.
The XS keeps up on Hunter by Bjork clean. Was expecting her voice pierce the ears but guess not today (or I’ve lost hearing).
Bad Guy by Billie Eilish sounds better on these than the hd58x, just does bass better, more extension and punchy? The clicks and claps have this crispness to them and I guess it was a detail I never noticed. This is the Dolby atmos spacial audio lossless version so that could be a factor too. The spacial audio version of Billie Jean sounds a bit weird, Michael sounds a few rows back whereas the chorus is front and center, maybe a bit too much artistic liberty taken by whomever mastered it, because Human Nature played after it sounds perfect in comparison.
My Favourite Things by Coltrane sounds as good as ever, maybe a touch bright. Definitely won’t be listening to Coltrane for long periods with this, high notes are a bit much. Maybe that’ll change after burn in or EQ.
With The Wolves (Act II and III) by Bon Iver, I feel like I’m missing the timber that all the dynamic headphones I used to have had. It all sounds great but in gaining speed, bass extension, detail and soundstage, the trade off is timbre, smooth treble and overall warmth.
Wish You Were Here sounds perfect can’t fault that recording or the headphones here.
Red Bone by Childish Gambino feels organic and just right. The XS maybe better suited to pop/rnb/rock where it’s qualities shine.
Switching directly to the HP output of the MacBook, volume isn’t an issue I’m not at max 95/100 and it’s playing to my usual loudness. There’s definitely noticeable difference, not worse maybe different. I’d say 5% about less bass extension and quantity but now the treble isn’t as piercing but likely isn’t being driven as thoroughly as the Magni 3 but at the same time it is less fatiguing. No hiss and no crackle that the Magni at times has.
Heck this wasn’t supposed to be any sort of review or impression of anything but I guess I let the ADHD take over . I was tossing up between these Arya’s, Clears, HD800s’, I’m happy with the purchase, those are both at least 250% of the cost.

antanast

I have the Sundara and thinking to upgrade. Im between the XS and Ananda Stealth. Any thoughts appreciated!

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The more forums and reviews I read the more I see that they perform better than the Ananda's and better than the Sundaras. Is that the real case in your opinion?
Better than Sundara, for sure.
Better than Ananda, it is better in some areas , but Ananda is very good too.
XS is cheaper, so it is better value.
Unless one does not that much power to drive them, then efficient Ananda wins.

Nasalmirror

I've got the Edition XS and I really am enjoying my headphones.
I wanted to complete my setup with a different dac for connectivity and features reasons and stumbled upon a used Topping DX7 pro (non plus). I read that it has a high impedance ouput but I don't know much about the topic. Will it be okay to use with the edition xs, since it's on the lower end of impedance? I don't plan on using a dedicated amp.

Top Bottom