• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Kino

Hi, these sound really interesting. Just wondering if someone who owns these can tell me the approximate dimensions of the ear pads and particularly the recess? It's always the case but for something you have to wear on your head (and your ears) it's surprising how hard this information is to find sometimes!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, these sound really interesting. Just wondering if someone who owns these can tell me the approximate dimensions of the ear pads and particularly the recess? It's always the case but for something you have to wear on your head (and your ears) it's surprising how hard this information is to find sometimes!

Dekoni aftermarket pads provide the dimensions at the bottom of the product page for each of their products.

So you won't get the depth of the pads, as that could be different. But look for the pads for the Edition XS on their website to find out the size of the recess.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Has anyone owned both the Edition XS and HE6SE V2 (with grill mod)? Their price points are not far from each other.

Jmm22

Has anyone owned both the Edition XS and HE6SE V2 (with grill mod)? Their price points are not far from each other.
They’re not similar headphones in application.

The HE6 is supposed to be a phenomenal headphone if it has enough power; whereas the XS is easier to drive and Mikey fine with a portable amp. Most comparisons are between the Sundara, Ananda and XS.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
They’re not similar headphones in application.

The HE6 is supposed to be a phenomenal headphone if it has enough power; whereas the XS is easier to drive and Mikey fine with a portable amp. Most comparisons are between the Sundara, Ananda and XS.
Thanks. I am aware of the difference. I am looking for sound impression from those who have owned both. I am interested in the XS because it is the latest. I am interested in the HE6SE just because I want to use the high gain option on my amp, lol.

Carlo2AC

Thanks. I am aware of the difference. I am looking for sound impression from those who have owned both. I am interested in the XS because it is the latest. I am interested in the HE6SE just because I want to use the high gain option on my amp, lol.
Why? high gain is usually worse in most setups in regards to SNR, THD, etc

BHazard

I have both (grill modded v2 too). I prefer and reach for the XS 9 times out of 10.
The biggest draw of the V2 is the substantial bass impact... but the XS can match it and physically rumble the housing with enough subbass. The XS wins at just about every other area (Soundstage, Imaging, etc), especially if you boost the mids a bit via EQ and cut the peak in the highs a bit.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I have both (grill modded v2 too). I prefer and reach for the XS 9 times out of 10.
The biggest draw of the V2 is the substantial bass impact... but the XS can match it and physically rumble the housing with enough subbass. The XS wins at just about every other area (Soundstage, Imaging, etc), especially if you boost the mids a bit via EQ and cut the peak in the highs a bit.
Ah, that's good to know because I have already ordered a XS. I like when a company put out a new product that outperform more expensive older products.

DavidCondit

@mr.at can you advise how to remove the ear cups from the band? I just bought the XS a couple days ago and find the band to be uncomfortable. I'd like to remove the cups and swap the band, but I'm not 100% sure if I just press them off or what. Also, would you happen to know what kind of band I could buy to replace the stock band? The suspension bands look interesting... they seem like they'd be more comfortable on my head but introduce more clamp on my ears.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This one looked too promising - ordered one for below 400 bucks at AliExpress. I hope it works for my ears as it does for so many others. And not seeing horrible distortion and group delay plots later on from amirm...

ngs428

This one looked too promising - ordered one for below 400 bucks at AliExpress. I hope it works for my ears as it does for so many others. And not seeing horrible distortion and group delay plots later on from amirm...
I am with you on that. I just purchased mine direct from Hifiman. $480 usd. Plus an extra 6 months warranty for free.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As much as I would love to try these, owning both the Sundara and Ananda, do I really want another set of mid-fi Hifiman's? what's next shirts and hats?

rjley

As much as I would love to try these, owning both the Sundara and Ananda, do I really want another set of mid-fi Hifiman's? what's next shirts and hats?
You could sell both and just have 1 pair of the XS. Worth it!

Resolve

Reviewer
Nothing I have seen. Maybe @Resolve took them already? Don’t see them in his review.

IMO THD is a bit of a red herring, as has been demonstrated by multiple papers on the subject (the Temme & Olive paper, or the Geddes & Lee to name a few important ones). But there are times when it's worth noting it, like if it's bad enough to be audible or cause problems for important EQ adjustments for a given headphone.

For the Edition XS, no such issues showed up, but with that said, here's a result around 95dB:

1644289379161.png

You see some 2nd and 3rd harmonic stuff there but again, not at all audible.

Edit: You could expect it to be higher with higher volume level of course, but as mentioned, you'll never hear that with music. For those who are seeking the lowest THD they can find, you can certainly find better out there, it's just not a windmill I'll be tilting at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom