• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Jarlaxle

There are some measurements posted in hifiguides and head-fi comparing the Edition XS to Ananda. Not going to link them here in case it is against the rules, but shouldn't be hard to find them. I don't think there are big reviewers' measurements yet.
are you sure they aren't old edition x v2 graphs

inscythe

Jarlaxle

Found the guy's personal blog, I guess safer to link to it:
Looking very good. Throwing Ananda and HE 1000v2 graphs for reference should be very useful. Like I said earlier though, Sundara 2020, though may not be as technically proficient as these, still doesn't recess between 1k and 3k like other hifimans and most of the planars. In that way, Sundara is still pretty unique.

On another note in @oratory1990 's graphs, neither Ananda nor HE 1000 v2 have this kind of roll-off in the sub-bass area.

Edit: First I thought it was not a standardized measurement rig. But in the site says "all measurements done using a IEC60318-4 compliant coupler with silicon ear and cheek"

inscythe

Looking very good. Throwing Ananda and HE 1000v2 graphs for reference should be very useful. Like I said earlier though, Sundara 2020, though may not be as technically proficient as these, still doesn't recess between 1k and 3k like other hifimans and most of the planars. In that way, Sundara is still pretty unique.

On another note in @oratory1990 's graphs, neither Ananda nor HE 1000 v2 have this kind of roll-off in the sub-bass area.

Edit: First I thought it was not a standardized measurement rig. But in the site says "all measurements done using a IEC60318-4 compliant coupler with silicon ear and cheek"
About the subbass rolloff, I also found it interesting. In Crinacle's site, there were two Ananda measurements, one with the rolloff (measured in 2020) and another one without the rolloff (from 2019). The 2020 measurement matches closer to the blog's measurement tho.

Other publicly available measurements on Ananda are varied too, some with or without the rolloff. Probably there are difficulties is getting proper seals on the Ananda, and that might explain this variation in the results.

That said, most people who tried both seems to feel that Ananda doesn't have the subbass rolloff and XS is only marginally better if not the same ballpark. I recently tried Ananda myself and I agree about the bass. Now I'm looking to try XS...

ngs428

There are some measurements posted in hifiguides and head-fi comparing the Edition XS to Ananda. Not going to link them here in case it is against the rules, but shouldn't be hard to find them. I don't think there are big reviewers' measurements yet.
Thanks for the reply. I think I saw that one.

I am hoping sometime soon Amir or @oratory1990, etc. are able to measure them.

All these reviews stating “punch” and “slam” are killing me . :)

Jarlaxle

@Resolve has measured them. Since the post is on their site I won't post the links but he might share them here as well.

ngs428

@Resolve has measured them. Since the post is on their site I won't post the links but he might share them here as well.
Are they from the unheard audio lab?

Edit: never mind. I see their measurements just came out yesterday.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like the only difference (frequency response wise) tamed 3-4k. It's hot on Ananda. 1.5k scoop is still there. Bass benefits from better seal(better headband and swivel). Also there is more air up top.
Technical performance seems similar. I guess only Arya significantly better. Sundara, XS and Ananda seems same ballpark. Sundara has a different presentation due to design but it should be similar to Ananda technically. Sundara has the best tonality.

I wonder how they achieved that efficiency with Ananda. Sundara, XS and Arya has a low sensitivity. I'm also curious if this stealth magnet thingy really improves the sound or just a marketing.

Resolve

Reviewer
Sure, here are the results I got:

HiFiMAN Edition XS V4.jpg

Channel matching

HiFiMAN Edition XS Channel matching.jpg

Sound signature - smoothed to the same degree as the target
HiFiMAN Edition XS Smoothed.jpg

For those interested in the additional measurements and comparisons, feel free to hit me up. I've also put together an EQ for those who want to get into that.

Last edited:
OP
mr.at

mr.at

OP
mr.at

mr.at

Not sure what you mean by that. They're headphone measurements.
I meant, may I post these on other forums (HifiGuides etc.) if you haven't posted them there already, to help out guys who are considering a purchase and are on the edge about the XS?

Resolve

Reviewer
I meant, may I post these on other forums (HifiGuides etc.) if you haven't posted them there already, to help out guys who are considering a purchase and are on the edge about the XS?
You can post them wherever. For those interested in the resonance frequency behavior and additional graphs and EQ, I posted those here.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

rjley

I bought these to try out while already owning the HEKV2.
Very impressed with them, running them through just the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Am I crazy if I'm considering selling the HEKV2's and keeping the Edition XS?

Jarlaxle

I bought these to try out while already owning the HEKV2.
Very impressed with them, running them through just the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Am I crazy if I'm considering selling the HEKV2's and keeping the Edition XS?
Probably :) and us mortals can get the wrong idea and hype these more than necessary.

Top Bottom