• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'HiFi Amp PA3S' Portable Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifier

RobertSc

I bought one of these from China off Ebay because of the claimed high specs, all for under $200 delivered to UK - Fully balanced architecture, 4.4mm balanced output, 3 levels of gain independently left and right channels. Notably there is no manual that comes with but it does come with a usb power adaptor (8.4v) and a choice of connection cable. I have the 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced.

Burn-in was about 30-40 hours but Ive only had this a short time and it keeps on sounding better and better - sound has opened up substantially over time and is smooth and powerful. Silences are really quiet. I use a Sony WM1a dap and headphones are Sennheiser HD660s. Low or mid gain seems to be best settings and using the WM1a I found volume of 75-90 is best balance. Seems best not too push through too much gain into the amp which has plenty of power. Sound is powerful, quite forward but spacious with a solid soundstage. Lots of adjustment is needed to find the right gain depending upon music and source. HD660s isn't known for heavy bass, but the amp pushes through plenty. I tested all through the balanced connection.

I love the 'aircraft' style dip switches for gain adjustment. They are very solid, clicking into place firmly. Volume control is smooth and precise. Build quality appears to be very good. Nothing loose. Doesn't get very warm except if you charge and use at the same time. Battery life is excellent at about 7-8 hours.

Claimed specs can be seen here on the screenshot pic. Anyone done any tests on this? If not then I'd be interested to know if there is someone in the UK who'd like to open it up and test it.

I like this amp a lot. I think that the weakest part of it is the supplied connection cable to DAP. Finding a high quality 2.5mm balanced male to 4.4mm balanced male cable with angled connectors is not easy, so Im open to any suggestions.

IMG_20191016_160037.jpgIMG_20191016_160212.jpgIMG_20191016_155224 (1).jpgScreenshot 2019-10-16 at 22.20.15.pngScreenshot 2019-10-16 at 22.30.31.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom