• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

yaki34

when I connect the earphones to the hidizs s9 I only hear the left earphone but the right earphone cannot be heard at all, has this happened to someone? When I connect the headphones to the 3.5 jack of the cell phone, both sides (L and R) can be heard but when I connect it to the hidizs s9 only the left one is heard.

I have already verified that it is well connected, even the light turns on but the right earphone is not heard. (

Veri

Master Contributor
when I connect the earphones to the hidizs s9 I only hear the left earphone but the right earphone cannot be heard at all, has this happened to someone? When I connect the headphones to the 3.5 jack of the cell phone, both sides (L and R) can be heard but when I connect it to the hidizs s9 only the left one is heard.

I have already verified that it is well connected, even the light turns on but the right earphone is not heard.

If it's plugged it in 100% and it's like that, seems like it's defective :(

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's plugged it in 100% and it's like that, seems like it's defective :(

Yup- appears so- if @yaki34 happens to have some 2.5mm balanced phones, maybe try them too- wont fix anything but might narrow down whats broken (failed connection in the 3.5mm socket vs something more fundamental in the DAC/ amp portions)= either way- send it back Yaki

kamui

I have already verified that it is well connected, even the light turns on but the right earphone is not heard. (

As a last ditch effort before returning it, you could email them and ask for the latest firmware for the S9 Pro. If it is a software issue with your OS/software, maybe it was a known issue and was fixed. Worth a try before you ship it back to them.

BuTcHeR

Has anyone been able to get this to work with iphone 12.
all my attempts have failed. This is what I tried (sorry im new to this):
1- My iphone 12 charger cable from hidiz into lightening in phone --> FAILED
2- I had in meantime order a small 10cm one the same --> FAILED
3- I bought a usb c female to lightening in order to use the hidizs cable --> FAILED
4- I went bought a usb camera cable to lightening... connected hidizs usb c to usb A connecter then connected it to camera cable then into phone --> FAILED (BUT first time get the hidizs s9 to light up)

I am running out of ideas. No help from Hidizs i sent them a million emails no answers just smiles and silliness.
is this due to large power draw from this that the iphone refuses to let it work? should i get another camera cable with power output that connects to battery bank? kinda silly

if anyone got this to work please let me know!!!!

Thanks

DavidS

1 and 2 are not expected to work.
The Hidizs cables are one-way (which I think breaks the USB-C standard) and I haven’t been able to make them work consistently with an Ipad Pro (USB-C connector) so didn’t try with a lightening adapter but wouldn’t expect them to work anyway without the camera cable.
However USB camera cable (version without power connector) plus USB-A to USB-c cable works just fine for me. Just a jobbing USB-a - USB-c, not the Hidzs, supposedly non-standard cable. No issues with power draw.

I also bought one of those - https://hifigo.com/products/hidizs-type-c-to-lightning-cable which works just fine and eliminates the camera cable.

kamui

1 and 2 are not expected to work.
The Hidizs cables are one-way (which I think breaks the USB-C standard) and I haven’t been able to make them work consistently with an Ipad Pro (USB-C connector) so didn’t try with a lightening adapter but wouldn’t expect them to work anyway without the camera cable.

Hmm, I've been using the S9 Pro with my iPad Pro without issue with the included cable, their USB C cable is indeed one way so you need to plug in the USB head with the logo into the iPad/Mac. I don't have a cable to try it with my iPhone and I only use the S9 with my iPad Pro or my Mac. For iPhone I use the apple dongle with pretty sensitive IEMs so I don't need the S9 on my iPhone.

DavidS

Ok, checked again. This tine USB camera cable (version without power connector), HIidisz usb c to Usb A adaptor, Hidizx one-way usb-c to usb-c worked for me with logo end into the S9. Clearly we are in YMMV territory

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
yah, AK projects about a year before the fab is up and running again -- they had a catastrophic fire last year.

i know of something like half a dozen companies that have had to abandon new designs using AK chips or change designs mid-cycle. it hit a lot of really small companies particularly hard, because at least in one case, they had to scrap an entire laid out board (months of work) and start again from the chip sampling process (months of work) when they only have a single designer.

some companies like geshelli had enough stock to fab some boards and raise money for their redesign, and other companies have a lot of stock (AKM futures as it were ;)) to keep manufacturing up, eg the topping e30, but these are the exceptions.

there are a few chips left in the channel but they are horrendously expensive. they are practically unobtainable unless you're making a one-off or something.

Bimbleton

Hello, I’m relatively new to DAC/Amps. Was wondering if the S9 would be sufficient to power a ZMF Aeolus. Hoping to have a nice portable setup through my iPhone. Thanks!

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Fenix84

I ordered an S9 a few weeks ago off aliexpress. I hope I actually get one and they don't try and pull a fast one. Probably won't make too much of a difference but would appreciate them letting me know if they did send me something different than what I ordered.

ruytero

I just received my Hidizs S9, but unfortunatly I cannot get it to work using the USB-C connector. Not with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7570) and not with my tablet (Samsung S5e), my older Sonata HD usb-c dac always worked without any problems on these devices.
The S9, does work when I connect it to one of my laptops usb-A ports, using the provided c-A adapter.
But I bought the S9 as a mobile usb-c dac, so connecting it to USB-A is not an option.

Any idea what could be the cause? just not enouh power on the USB-C

Fenix84

I just received my Hidizs S9, but unfortunatly I cannot get it to work using the USB-C connector. Not with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7570) and not with my tablet (Samsung S5e), my older Sonata HD usb-c dac always worked without any problems on these devices.
The S9, does work when I connect it to one of my laptops usb-A ports, using the provided c-A adapter.
But I bought the S9 as a mobile usb-c dac, so connecting it to USB-A is not an option.

Any idea what could be the cause? just not enouh power on the USB-C

You can try switching the direction of the short USB C cable, it does matter in this case.

Also try updating the firmware.

Top Bottom