• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

ScofieldKid

Measures great, sounds like ....meh...I bought the S9 and connected it to a 2018 MacBook Pro. Compared it to Chord Mojo, Burson C3R, and DragonFly Red. Sound is flat and lifeless. Headphones used for testing: Grado GS1000e and HD800s. Ears used for testing: 64 yrs old. Maybe that's the problem.
I'd probably call it fairly "neutral" and "resolving". In my case, yeah, I would say the JDS El DAC II beats it (even though they use the same DAC chip). But I think it makes a perfect addition to an iMac, especially because of the form factor. JDS has moved to my main system.

Felippe

My S9 works flawlessly with my iPhone 12 mini (iOS 14.4.1) --- however, the problems with my MacBook Pro 13” (macOS Big Sur 11.2.3) persist, even when connecting via USB-C to USB-A MacDongle, then USB-A to USB-C cable (Belkin). The USB interface with macOS Big Sur appears to be broken.
Customer support from Hidizs is very good: They replied very quickly and I've now downloaded a Firmware updater. However, update is only possible from a Windows PC. Won't have access to one before Monday. Will let everyone know if the Firmware update fixes the problem.

Status now:
- Hardware not defective (works with iOS 14.4.1)
- Incompatible with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3: Stuttering/intermittent sound output
- Sound is great via iPhone: Not flat and lifeless for me at all. Full bodied, goes loud, no hiss if used with in-ear Sennheiser IE-800

jannek

I got a reply from customer support with a link to a firmware update tool and instructions. But my S9 is not recognised by the tool. :confused:
Tried with several PCs and cables.

AudioManNewb

I got a reply from customer support with a link to a firmware update tool and instructions. But my S9 is not recognised by the tool. :confused:
Tried with several PCs and cables.
What was wrong with it that you wanted to update firmware? I did not even know you could update it I do not even have drivers since it does not need any for Windows 10.

jannek

Hi, have had the 9038D for a few days and since yesterday I have the S9. With the 9038 I had problems with clicks when playing audio with my PC (MS Surface Pro 7, Win10). An older driver (2018 version) of the comtrue chipset fixed that.
With the S9 I have permanent stuttering when playing audio from pc. With stock Win10 driver (as said in the manual) and also with the ASIO driver provided at the Hidizs page.

It seems that the E1DA 9038 and the S9 are using the same Comtrue USB Audio Bridge chipset... but using the E1DA installation routine of the 2018 driver fails for the S9.

By the way, on any Android device both DACs run fine.

Wrote to the customer support and got a reply by a technician. Telling me the firmware might be the problem and said way to update it.

jannek

Lets say: What measures great is more true to the music as intended.
Translated to food: a nice meal can taste boring if the cook used too little salt. Then its fine to add some salt yourself. But it would not be smart to add lots of salt to everything before having tried it. If the cook used enough or a little too much salt this would ruin it completely. And you'll never know how it was meant by the cook.

Speaking of headphone dongles this does not mean authority or bass headroom. But this is none of the measured parameters.

On an android tablet USB-C the S9 drives my DCA Aeon2 pretty nice already unbalanced. Looking forward to receive the balanced cable!

Was contacted by Hidizs Customer Support again. There seems to be another more complicated method of updating firmware. Hope that helps...

Last edited:

lordhumungous

My S9 works flawlessly with my iPhone 12 mini (iOS 14.4.1) --- however, the problems with my MacBook Pro 13” (macOS Big Sur 11.2.3) persist, even when connecting via USB-C to USB-A MacDongle, then USB-A to USB-C cable (Belkin). The USB interface with macOS Big Sur appears to be broken.
Customer support from Hidizs is very good: They replied very quickly and I've now downloaded a Firmware updater. However, update is only possible from a Windows PC. Won't have access to one before Monday. Will let everyone know if the Firmware update fixes the problem.

Status now:
- Hardware not defective (works with iOS 14.4.1)
- Incompatible with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3: Stuttering/intermittent sound output
- Sound is great via iPhone: Not flat and lifeless for me at all. Full bodied, goes loud, no hiss if used with in-ear Sennheiser IE-800
I am using the S9 with an Imac and Audirvana and no issues. Sounds phenomenal and can even handle Dan Clark Aeon RT closed headphones.

dskelto

Does anyone see any problems with connecting the S9 to the Topping A90 via balanced 2.5 -> XLR cable? Thanks!

Top Bottom