• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs MP145 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 60 46.9%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It absolutely is enough. They aren't the easiest to drive iem ever but the 9038s (I still maintain the single ended D is better as you don't have to recable) is one of the most powerful dongles ever. Assuming nobody is adding any large eq peaks to the Red (or using the bass adapter).
Just to update- I just plugged in this exact combo. I already have the 9038S capped for safety at -13dB using their Tweak app.

Then using UAPP on Android - I get plenty loud enough (EQ disabled) at -5 dB when playing some EDM type music.

So for me, on "normal" recordings without EQ I have somewhere between 15 and 20 dB of headroom. Really quiet recordings, desire to add big EQ peaks etc should really all be do-able with this set up.

FWIW I have successfully run the Red with the EU voltage hobbled version of the Apple USB C dongle - but am not a particularly loud listener. I would probably want more than that for the Red given any of the above considerations.

Toni Mas

Overpriced for an IEM of this performance, but I suppose there are some who prefer a more mid-focus tuning.
Yes totally overpriced performance. Look and feel also overpriced compared too the new versión of moondrop chu II, for example.

All these cheapo iem acheive the same trick matching the politically correct target curve and do the job till almost the last top octave, but sound disappointing from 5khz and Up. Not really worth spending more than 20$ on these... They all SOUND like pretty much the same unrefined highs.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It might be there but would not count that it is looking at the graph. That is what 15, 16K? Do you think the measurement rig used can accurately measure what you are going to hear up to 16K?
Quite certainly, easy to test for yourself, get the IEMs and generate tones on a site like this one:

Plenty of IEMs have this huge top octave spike and it's pure pain, unusable, the worst offender is probably KZ PR2
Screenshot_20231203_134544_YouTube.jpg

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Look at that lack of distortion!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It absolutely is enough. They aren't the easiest to drive iem ever but the 9038s (I still maintain the single ended D is better as you don't have to recable) is one of the most powerful dongles ever. Assuming nobody is adding any large eq peaks to the Red (or using the bass adapter).
The 9038D drives the Red to ear-splitting volume. Trust me.

dogmamann

Even if finding a "SOTA" DAC/amp for 100 $ may be hard, that's essentially correct, because more or less everyone already has at least one of the many digital signal sources.
So, at least the informed headphone listener can get top quality on the cheap.
Maybe the "good old days" of hi-fi are right now?
There was hardly a “good old day”. That’s just a good nostalgic feeling. The good days are now. Was never in the past.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite certainly, easy to test for yourself, get the IEMs and generate tones on a site like this one:

Plenty of IEMs have this huge top octave spike and it's pure pain, unusable, the worst offender is probably KZ PR2
View attachment 331443
I don't think we understand each other. I am not disputing whether you can hear 16KHz or not. I am disputing the accuracy of measurement data at 16Khz.

The example you gave, the PR2, does not have a peak at the same range this IEM does. It is however ca 5dB louder at 5K, and ca 10dB from 8K onward from an IEM that is already too bright. No wonder it sounds super bright.

Last edited:

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Quick side question on Roon EQ…Amir , u mostly test one speaker , do we use procedural EQ in Roon when we have 2 speakers….i have not used the Procedual feature yet…. so far I have been averaging the results of my 2 speakers on my RTA and going from there.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I see Amir has reviewed many IEMS and I wonder if he would provide an overview of products covering the price range spectrum? I mean from the cheapest - Truthear to the most expensive. I see he reviewed the 64 Audio and didn't recommend them (I wonder if any of the Obravo offerings would get the same treatment?). Such a review could be the ultimate myth buster!

TK750

I see Amir has reviewed many IEMS and I wonder if he would provide an overview of products covering the price range spectrum? I mean from the cheapest - Truthear to the most expensive. I see he reviewed the 64 Audio and didn't recommend them (I wonder if any of the Obravo offerings would get the same treatment?). Such a review could be the ultimate myth buster!
You can kind of do this already with the review index in case you weren't aware:

1701632684067.png

You could also add filters (e.g. in-ear for your question above) to narrow things down to what you are interested in more precisely.

In terms of myth buster I think we are already very aware that price has pretty much zero correlation with performance/recommendation!

ndis

Look at that lack of distortion!
One of the advantages of using Planar. One more that people tend to forget is the level of detail they provide (especially in comparison with the blues and reds).

I see this as a an attempt to upgrade 7hz timeless for less money. For me there is value here.

Bruno

I would respectfully point out that the MP145 can be tuned by replacing the noozles tips (see https://www.hidizs.net/cdn/shop/files/HIDIZS-MP145-9.jpg?v=1690184528&width=800) and that therefore their frequency response slightly changes, making their response in the mids/high mids more or less airy.

This said, I have either them and the original Truthear Zero (which I bought after reading the review on this very same site). Whilst I appreciate the Truthear providing a terrific value/price ratio, in absolute terms I found the Hidizs slightly better sounding in my ears.
Adding that they are a purely resistive load thus easier on whatever headphone amp they're plugged in, that they have a very low distortion and that they're planar and very detailed I find they're definitely good and worth the price I paid (got them on Kickstarter).

Ra1zel

I don't think we understand each other. I am not disputing whether you can hear 16KHz or not. I am disputing the accuracy of measurement data at 16Khz.
Yes you are indeed not understanding me correctly, I can hear for myself whatever measurements are accurate by generating 16khz on this website and hearing whether it appears boosted/louder over neutral reference.

I hope it's clear enough now.

Paweł L

I would respectfully point out that the MP145 can be tuned by replacing the noozles tips (see https://www.hidizs.net/cdn/shop/files/HIDIZS-MP145-9.jpg?v=1690184528&width=800) and that therefore their frequency response slightly changes, making their response in the mids/high mids more or less airy.

This said, I have either them and the original Truthear Zero (which I bought after reading the review on this very same site). Whilst I appreciate the Truthear providing a terrific value/price ratio, in absolute terms I found the Hidizs slightly better sounding in my ears.
Adding that they are a purely resistive load thus easier on whatever headphone amp they're plugged in, that they have a very low distortion and that they're planar and very detailed I find they're definitely good and worth the price I paid (got them on Kickstarter).
Can you comment on long term comfort wearing them for extended period of time, especially the MP145 since their shell is quite large to accommodate its driver.
I agree with you that while many IEMs sound decent, only a few sound really, really good and correct, depending upon the drivers and configuration used.

asrUser

The 9038D drives the Red to ear-splitting volume. Trust me.
Isn't that the case for many dongles? SHIO is also able to make you deaf if you're not careful.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that the case for many dongles? SHIO is also able to make you deaf if you're not careful.
depends on many variables-For instance using P2 IEM's the 9038D can only drive them to moderate levels due to their poor sensitivity. Most IEM's I have can be powered to painful levels w/ the 9038D but you might be surprised how much power some IEM's require for loud listening levels. I was at Costco the other day listening to my phone>9038D>Blessing 2 and noticed my phone volume was near 90% volume at a level I was satisfied with but I probably listen louder than some/most/many.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to get one to give it a try as I liked the low distortion, flat impedance characteristics. I thought I will check the physical dimensions before I do so as I had a few bad experiences with fit and seal. While going through the official product page, I came across this:

Is there a recommended burn-in time?
It is necessary to burn-in, and a 100-hour burn-in time is recommended. According to the uninterrupted burn-in time, record and experience the changes in different burn-in periods. You will find that the feeling and experience are very different every time you burn-in. The more you burn it, the more you can experience the charm of MP145.

Goodbye, Hidizs.

asrUser

Is there a recommended burn-in time?
It is necessary to burn-in, and a 100-hour burn-in time is recommended. According to the uninterrupted burn-in time, record and experience the changes in different burn-in periods. You will find that the feeling and experience are very different every time you burn-in. The more you burn it, the more you can experience the charm of MP145.

Goodbye, Hidizs.
Why so butthurt? It's your choice to burn-in or not burn-in.

Top Bottom