• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs MP145 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 60 46.9%

• Total voters

Bruno

Can you comment on long term comfort wearing them for extended period of time, especially the MP145 since their shell is quite large to accommodate its driver.
I agree with you that while many IEMs sound decent, only a few sound really, really good and correct, depending upon the drivers and configuration used.
Afraid that long term comfort is quite an extremely subjective matter. It's not only the size but also the weight. On my ears they rest very steady and comfy and I believe to have midsized ears. I also have to say that I wear them exclusively with "audiophile" memory foam tips, therefore they're well planted in my ear canal and the cable has to provide just a minimum support from behind the lobe.
Your mileage may vary.
On the Company's Discord I read all sort of comments ranging from the unlucky guy who had to return them because he has very small ears and couldn't accomodate the nozzles inside his ear canals even with the smallest tips to those complaining about the provided cable quality and shape and were trying to hack/remold it with lighters...
My suggestion would be to wait until they are available on Amazon and then get a pair from there. You like them, you keep them, you don't, you return them with no further annoyances. Buying directly from their site might help you spare some cash but if you don't like them you have to return them at your expenses to China.

As to their sound, paired with my Topping E30 MkI + Beyerdynamic A20 they sound full, balanced and detailed. Paired to the Hidizs DH80S DAC/Headphone amplifier they sound a (tiny) bit airier and detailed but a (tiny) bit lighter in the bass/subbass section.
In any case they are better detailed than the Truthear Zero. However please bear in mind that our ears are different and mine in particular are those of a 60-yrs old man who can't hear anything past 13kHz...

asrUser

It seems amirm used 4 filters. Could someone post them please since he didn't?

I have been using it for a month, and I use it almost every day. Overall, I'm very satisfied with its soundstage and separation.

asrUser

Hidizs MP145 IEM Listening Test and Equalization
Initial impression was one of neutral present for the most part, lacking a bit of emphasis in highs. I could certainly live with this but why not apply some EQ to brighten things up:
View attachment 331077
Could you please share all other filters? I see only 1 band.

asrUser

The only useful and complete EQ comes from
I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 77.0
Score with EQ: 96.7
View attachment 331163

No idea, why Knowles likes the rise above 10k but whatever. I experimented with EQ on MP145 and found the Harman target to be too shouty. However, I like the 14k (at around -10 dB) filter from Maiky to get rid of the unnecessary upper treble spike. This 1 filter combined with the treble nozzles (not tested by amirm) and I get enough mids and treble. This way it's not shouty anymore.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

No idea, why Knowles likes the rise above 10k but whatever. I experimented with EQ on MP145 and found the Harman target to be too shouty. However, I like the 14k (at around -10 dB) filter from Maiky to get rid of the unnecessary upper treble spike. This 1 filter combined with the treble nozzles (not tested by amirm) and I get enough mids and treble. This way it's not shouty anymore.
I believe the Knowles “target” is based on actual research they’ve done—see: https://www.knowles.com/preferred-listening-response
I don’t know how widely accepted Knowles results are, but at least they are based upon some objective evidences, not a random “me-too” target…

Sebby

I also like the increase up to at least 16 kHz

Sebby

This IEM could complement my Sennheiser. Finally an IEM without exaggerated fin boost and without treble roll-off!

CedarX

Forum Donor
A heads up, silent revisions discovered:
Not uncommon, especially for something launched on Kickstarter, but good to know: it may affect the EQ in that area or what the interchangeable nozzles impact.
To me, the FR difference shared in the video is not enough to move the MP145 from excellent/recommended to being the worse thing in the world.

LIΟN

KakaoTalk_20240211_133021794_01.jpg

I got MP145. I didn't expect to feel much change at a certain level of IEM. (I listen to personal HRIR on IEM.)
And only Zero2 at 7hz played intact the impulses I made, clean and tight, even on the big volume (toppingL70 HighGain) I wanted.

But mp145 is more different. The depth of the sound is different. (Not about tone balance. I've calibrated all the IEMs equally to my ears, and I don't listen to the original sound of the IEM. It only serves as a playback device.)
I was very surprised to endure even in harsh playback conditions without shaking at all, and to play deep sounds.

If you know how to do EQ (if you know how to make sound), this would be the best white drawing paper.
IEM is highly recommended as a clean base with 100% purity.

KakaoTalk_20240211_133021794_02.jpg

KakaoTalk_20240211_133021794_04.jpg

InfiniteJester

Well, the low measured distortion and the claims of them having a huge soundstage have convinced me.

I'm buying these.

How many euros has Amir cost me in the short span that I have been here?

PD: They have charged me €143,80, which is not bad at all.

Last edited:

Blorg

I like the fact that it is toned down at the ear gain area. Full ear gain sounds way too bright to me. Bump at 200Hz - not a big fan.
The bump at 200Hz is a resonance from Amir's GRAS 45CA pinna, it's not there on pinna-less 711 measurements. It's the IEM moving in the test pinna from the test signal. It's more free to move in this as the only thing supporting the IEM is the tip in the silicone pinna. You will also see this resonance on Crinacle and Headphones.com's B&K 5128 measurements, again due to the use of a pinna, it's not specific to this one. You also see it in most of Amir's other IEM measurements. Exactly where it happens is quite dependent on seating, if you move the IEM it will move a bit. Tips will influence it as well to the extent they affect fit stability.

It can be argued that this is more accurate, that humans have pinnas and an actual human ear will also get a similar resonance. But that's why it's there, the bump is coming from the test fixture's simulation of a human ear, not the IEM's actual FR. To the extent it does exist it will be variable with different people's pinnas (it will vary even on the test fixture depending on seating) and so isn't really something you can EQ with measurements, or address with IEM tuning, as it's simply not there in the tuning.

You can get a similar resonance on 711 measurements if you don't support the IEM while measuring it, this is an example, supported by the foam of my coupler box, it's totally smooth:
DSC04410.JPG
1709203839697.png

But if I hang if off the side where the tip is the only thing supporting the IEM, I get the resonance:

DSC04411.JPG
1709203859571.png

It's just bigger again with a pinna, I guess because the support point is also flexible silicone, vs a rigid metal tube.

markanini

Major Contributor
The bump at 200Hz is a resonance from Amir's GRAS 45CA pinna, it's not there on pinna-less 711 measurements. It's the IEM moving in the test pinna from the test signal. It's more free to move in this as the only thing supporting the IEM is the tip in the silicone pinna. You will also see this resonance on Crinacle and Headphones.com's B&K 5128 measurements, again due to the use of a pinna, it's not specific to this one. You also see it in most of Amir's other IEM measurements. Exactly where it happens is quite dependent on seating, if you move the IEM it will move a bit. Tips will influence it as well to the extent they affect fit stability.

It can be argued that this is more accurate, that humans have pinnas and an actual human ear will also get a similar resonance. But that's why it's there, the bump is coming from the test fixture's simulation of a human ear, not the IEM's actual FR. To the extent it does exist it will be variable with different people's pinnas (it will vary even on the test fixture depending on seating) and so isn't really something you can EQ with measurements, or address with IEM tuning, as it's simply not there in the tuning.

You can get a similar resonance on 711 measurements if you don't support the IEM while measuring it, this is an example, supported by the foam of my coupler box, it's totally smooth:
View attachment 353165View attachment 353172
But if I hang if off the side where the tip is the only thing supporting the IEM, I get the resonance:

View attachment 353166View attachment 353173

It's just bigger again with a pinna, I guess because the support point is also flexible silicone, vs a rigid metal tube.
Excellent write up, bookmarked.

MayaTlab

We don't have enough in situ measurements of IEMs to my taste, but so far from the ones I've seen (ex : CSGlinux, Harman/Sean Olive, some patents, etc.) or the ones I've done on my own, I haven't seen a single instance of this phenomenon occurring in real human ears so far. So for now I think that it's best to try to control for it if possible as you already do.

Your new best friend :D :
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 13.24.21.png
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 13.24.40.png
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 13.26.05.png

(just be careful to avoid blocking the vents)

InfiniteJester

These just arrived today. First impressions are extremely positive. They fit better than any other IEM I have, they sound spacious and I hear nothing wrong with them, something very unusual, because I always need to adapt to a new headphone or IEM when I buy them before they stop sounding kind of strange (brain-burn; you know, the only real kind of burn [although I admit that sometimes fit improves with time on a headphone and they sound better due to that]).

NielsMayer

The only problem with this IEM is the mention of "driver flex" found in one review

Pros: Sound terrific. Decent cable. Sound noticeably alters depending on ear tips used. Bass is very good and treble is not harsh in the least. Comfort and stability are good. Cons: Driver flex, especially right away when inserting them; infrequent (so far) later in the session. IEM's a relatively weighty vs. others (have a metal enclosure). One of the ear tips came apart as I was trying different varieties. Nozzles are on the bigger size and might be too much for some ears. I was tempted to return these to see if an exchange would bring a set with less driver flex, but once dialed in for my preferred sound signature, I didn't want to be without them during an exchange period. The bass impact and dimensionality/presence are top-notch. Immersive and addictive. Unique.

In my case, I was wearing my MP145's for extended period. I guess I'd built up ear pressure, maybe from eating while listening, and eventually I heard one of the drivers "pop"... afterwards, sound was distorted from the popped driver, and I was very sad as these sound amazing.

Fortunately the driver breakage happened within my amazon return window, so I got a replacement.

I will definitely be more careful with these in the future, making sure I don't eat or do anything that could build up pressure and pop the driver on my replacement.
Plus, insert more slowly and carefully, as sometimes you can hear a "crinkle" from the driver (flexing) during insertion.

Note that I'm using Comply T-600 foam eartips with these. Perhaps they are giving too-good a seal, but that's also what makes these MP145s sound so awesome. Maybe that's why only silicon-style tips were included with the IEMs -- they don't seal as well and probably generate less pressure on the driver.

BTW, I've tried some of the various EQs for this IEM such those in the "wavelet" preset. To me, these sounded better and clearer un-EQd. Maybe I need an EQ specific to using the Comply T-600 tips?? Maybe I don't like what EQing does to phase....

Last edited:

InfiniteJester

The only problem with this IEM is the mention of "driver flex" found in one review

Pros: Sound terrific. Decent cable. Sound noticeably alters depending on ear tips used. Bass is very good and treble is not harsh in the least. Comfort and stability are good. Cons: Driver flex, especially right away when inserting them; infrequent (so far) later in the session. IEM's a relatively weighty vs. others (have a metal enclosure). One of the ear tips came apart as I was trying different varieties. Nozzles are on the bigger size and might be too much for some ears. I was tempted to return these to see if an exchange would bring a set with less driver flex, but once dialed in for my preferred sound signature, I didn't want to be without them during an exchange period. The bass impact and dimensionality/presence are top-notch. Immersive and addictive. Unique.

In my case I was wearing my MP145's for extended period. I guess i'd built up ear pressure, maybe from eating while listening, and eventually I heard one of the drivers "pop"... afterwards sound was distorted from the popped driver, and I was very sad as these sound amazing.

Fortunately the driver breakage happened within my amazon return window, so I got a replacement.

I will definitely be more careful with these in the future, making sure i don't eat or do anything that could build up pressure and pop the driver on my replacement.
Plus insert more slowly and carefully as sometimes you can hear a "crinkle" from the driver (flexing) during insertion.

Note that I'm using Comply T-600 foam eartips with these. Perhaps they are giving too good a seal, but that's also what makes these MP145s sound so awesome. Maybe that's why only silicon style tips were included with the IEMs -- they don't seal as well and probably generate less pressure on the driver.

BTW, i've tried some of the various EQs for this IEM such those in the "wavelet" preset. To me, these sounded better and clearer un-EQd. Maybe I need an EQ specific to using the Comply T-600 tips?? Maybe I don't like what EQing does to phase....

I have also been trying different EQs but settling again and again for not EQing them, I prefer their sound signature more, which have never happened to me before with any other product.

I haven't detected any flex yet, but I will be paying attention to that possible issue (I also ate while wearing them).

At this point, they deserve a resounding "Great" from me, but I will refrain my judgement until later. It is true that changing the tips is a hassle and I'm sure that you can break them while doing so.

InfiniteJester

Do we have more data points for confirming a change in tuning? If yes, by much of a change is it from the initially released units?

If I have to speculate, I would bet that they tamed the highs, because every EQ out there dramatically tries to reduce them.

The one @Maiky76 shared has -14,3 dB at 14,9 kHz.

For my ears that is completely senseless.

Every EQ I have tried for this worsens the sound. Even Dolby Atmos, which I generally use, worsens the sound.

Top Bottom