• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with 100-130hz null on desktop system

I've been trying to optimize a system on my desktop. I had a pair of Kanto YU6 speakers, ran REW and no matter where I seemed to place them, albeit limited and less than optimal options. I had a notable null. Just to see I put a pair of KEF Q150s I had in the same spots and same null so it's clearly a room function vs a speaker issue. I was doing some reading on SBIR and some said put the speakers as close to the wall as possible to at least move the null up the frequency range but that isn't working here.

Here's the room setup. There's sadly no other place in this room the desk can do so corner is the only option. The panels are some extras I have, yes they diffuse vs absorb. 1/12th smoothing applied to chart.
Red: Left
Green Right
Blue: L+R - the null is amplified when in stereo
1682193955275.png

1682194036707.png

1682194067426.png

1682193724191.png

jonfitch

Do you plug the bass ports when you have them against the wall like that? Otherwise I imagine bass would be pretty muddy. Have you thought about getting sealed speakers?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be absolutely sure it's the room (it's gotta be the room, right?) maybe try moving the speakers and doing another REW measurement.

Realistically the only ways to stop this null are going to be ridiculous amounts of bass trapping, or adding a sub or two. Since it's around 100hz you won't need a really serious sub to take care of it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do you hear it or just see it on the graph?

I have a bottomless pit around 48hz if both speakers are playing during the sweep. I didn't it know was there, until I measured it.

I still don't notice it listening.

Red, left and right
Green both playing

1682471852063.png

Also, it measurably disappears when the bass in that area is stereo and the phase of the signal is different between the two speakers.

Run an RTA while playing stereo music and see how deep your hole is then.

Last edited:
OP
M
To be absolutely sure it's the room (it's gotta be the room, right?) maybe try moving the speakers and doing another REW measurement.

Realistically the only ways to stop this null are going to be ridiculous amounts of bass trapping, or adding a sub or two. Since it's around 100hz you won't need a really serious sub to take care of it.
It’s def the room, tried 3 pairs of speakers and the shifts at different distances and I recently learned about the REW room sim and it predicted tgecsane thing. I do have a sub from my media room setup I’m going to test as tgat sane sim points to that being a solution

OP
M

Yeah I’m gonna test grabbing one of the subs from my media room to see.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have exactly the same null. Deep and narrow.

I raised the crossover to 100Hz and the null is almost gone, but I don't think I hear any difference. And I can switch quickly between 50Hz and 100Hz crossover with a press of a button. :p

OP
M
I have exactly the same null. Deep and narrow.

I raised the crossover to 100Hz and the null is almost gone, but I don't think I hear any difference. And I can switch quickly between 50Hz and 100Hz crossover with a press of a button. :p
Yeah maybe I’m overthinking the null.

PowerSerge

Thats honestly not that bad. Pretty good looking graph actually. I wouldnt worry about the null. My Equator Q10s have a similar null and no amount of eq makes it sound better. I can raise it to look good on the graph but it just sounds off and out of phase.

However I will say Ill bet that left speaker is producing more bass plus the higher frequencies our bouncing right off that wall. The best thing that you could do is focus on symmetry which will drastically change the sound. Would be interesting to see your measurements of each speaker individually like I did mine. If you can move to the right even a couple inches you would notice a difference.
Equator image 2.jpg

OP
M
Thats honestly not that bad. Pretty good looking graph actually. I wouldnt worry about the null. My Equator Q10s have a similar null and no amount of eq makes it sound better. I can raise it to look good on the graph but it just sounds off and out of phase.

However I will say Ill bet that left speaker is producing more bass plus the higher frequencies our bouncing right off that wall. The best thing that you could do is focus on symmetry which will drastically change the sound. Would be interesting to see your measurements of each speaker individually like I did mine. If you can move to the right even a couple inches you would notice a difference.

Thanks for the insight. I ended up ordering a pair of Q acoustic 3020 speakers and they sound/measure even better. Same null but as you noted I'm not sure it really matters. Plugging the left port in the corner def helps balance the bass response. I I have a pair for Q acoustic 5020s coming today just to see if there's a big jump in quality $900 vs $450.

Ricardojoa

The null could be caused from mic position, I had a similar null but slightly lower in hz and it was caused from the mic. When i move the mic at different heights the null moves either up or down depending the height of the mic.

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
Yup, that's why there is the saying - Narrow dips are better than narrow peaks and wide dips.

And ultimately your ears are the one doing the hearing. So go find some video on youtube that plays the notes one by one and see how much dip you're actually hearing.

OP
M
Yup, that's why there is the saying - Narrow dips are better than narrow peaks and wide dips.

And ultimately your ears are the one doing the hearing. So go find some video on youtube that plays the notes one by one and see how much dip you're actually hearing.
So I just did that, thanks for suggestion, i do hear a volume difference at 100-110 for sure but it's not the end of the world and in listening sounds great overall.

Top Bottom