• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ProAc tabblete eight signiture in desktop system

Dicky

I am in the process of building up a desktop system and have been offered a pair of Proac tabblete eight signiture speakers and it's a three hour trip to pick them up so I Was wondering if they are suitable for this.
Will place them on decent desktop stands and pair them with an Arcam sa20 amplifier and Rel T zero subwoofer taken from my home theater system.
Thanks

OP
D

Dicky

Anyone tried this.
I also have a kef egg center speaker I picked up from a car boot sale it's the larger type with the two small drive units either side of the main driver these can be found on eBay quite cheap.
Would two of these be a good idea.
Thanks.

OP
D

Dicky

Can anyone help.
I can make the trip tomorrow if it's ok to set the ProAcs up on a desktop I will give them a go.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
From what I can find out there, these ProAcs seem to be a pretty sweet little speaker, even with pretty good bass extension for a 4.5" as far as I can tell from samples. Might be just the ticket for what you intend to do. The KEF eggs also have a good reputation if apparently no real bass to speak of by themselves. You always get more excursion from a dedicated woofer vs. a coax.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on the price. Are they cheaper than a really good active speaker with a 4" woofer tested here?

Penelinfi

Well they certainly look very nice. Give them a go I'd say

OP
D

Dicky

Thanks for replying all.
Yes they look good and I can get them at a reasonable price but it's still not cheap.

from reviews I have read they say that they should be on heavy stand's and have plenty of room around them.
They are very small and I am just not sure if they would be suitable for nearfield listening.
If anyone has any other recommendations I would really appreciate them.
Does the kef centre speaker option sound like a good idea as I have one already and can pick another one up for around fifty pound.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As an ex-ProAc acolyte (Studio 100, Response 2s and Tablette Anniversary) I can tell you you pay more for a fair to good quality sound. Some models (Studio 100) degrade the woofer surrounds after about 15 years. The midrange (vocals) sounds very pleasant.

Top Bottom