• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help selecting components for audio processing solution ?

mamba76

Hi all. This might be an unusual question but Im looking for a new audio processing system for my car. Im tired of using miniDSP and trying to get anwsers from them but in the digital audio world this is my only experience. I can't get the solution I want easily with their hardware, as great as it is so it makes me wonder how someonewho does know the really technical stuff would approach it.

Its a USB streamed system Im dealing with and Id prefer to avoid spdif and maintain the use of the i2s bus. I believe this is doable from what Iv read but I have no experience with i2S yet. This is the solution Id like -

- USB stream in
- PEQ processing of this input (at least 10 bands)
- Split this proccessed signal at least 7 ways
- Processing on EACH of the 7 channels to include -
PEQ proccessing (a total of at least 12 bands)
delay (at least 35ms)
input / output gain
crossovers

Using the miniDSP products the plug and play way Id need to buy a really expensive 2 x 8 kit just to split the signal and that requires conversion to balanced inputs, it just seems totally uneccessary. So now Im open to other products from other manufacturers or a DIY solution that could match the quality of miniDSP(?) If someone could outline a more streamlined approach to achieve the above capabilities without throwing money at products that would not be fully utilised. If a DIY solution is needed Im prepared to learn I just don't know where to start.

Thanks

OP
M

mamba76

I'm afraid MiniDSP is your only option.
Ok. I knew MiniDSP were different back in 2015, even tho practical usage of there plugins is very verbose on the windows platform (they are not interested in android at all). I was hoping other manufacturers might have similar or better hardware. Wouldn't a modular system be cool!

MCH

Major Contributor
Why not a raspberry pi? You can power it in a car with a usb charger.
Ps: no clue about the delay though. Edit: yes, also possible

Last edited:
OP
M

mamba76

Ok. I knew MiniDSP were different back in 2015, even tho practical usage of there plugins is very verbose on the windows platform (they are not interested in android at all). I was hoping other manufacturers might have similar or better hardware, a modular system be really cool! Just out of interest whats the most efficient way to turn a USB stream into 8 balanced signals ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why exactly is MiniDSP not working for you at the moment?

What about the car audio specific MiniDSP products?

OP
M

mamba76

Why not a raspberry pi? You can power it in a car with a usb charger.
Ps: no clue about the delay though
Hi. Yes Iv been considering pulling the trigger on one of these devices for a while, don't know why I havn't TBH. I have recently bought a 'Black Pill' and am using ST cube to learn about it. I am slowly forcing myself into electronics and am in the process of creating my own workshop. Probably because, like most, the products I want don't exist!

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi. Yes Iv been considering pulling the trigger on one of these devices for a while, don't know why I havn't TBH. I have recently bought a 'Black Pill' and am using ST cube to learn about it. I am slowly forcing myself into electronics and am in the process of creating my own workshop. Probably because, like most, the products I want don't exist!
Well, if it is going to be your first project with a pi it might not be the easiest one. You would need also a multichannel usb sound card, but there are cheap ones.

OP
M

mamba76

Why exactly is MiniDSP not working for you at the moment?

What about the car audio specific MiniDSP products?
There are a handful of small nuances but mainly not being able have full control of each speaker independently, because of the routing available it always means comprimising the input PEQ, like having to mux the midbass on the input or split the input PEQ for the front components between the component woofer and the tweeter. Its hard enough using the verbose plugins let alone needing to remember not to put a too lower Q on the input for component woofer because the other half of the input is used for the tweeter. Its hard to explain but a simple approach would be what I described above.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would definitely not use a pi in a car. They need time to boot, and don’t deal very well with interrupted power supplies.
There are a handful of small nuances but mainly not being able have full control of each speaker independently, because of the routing available it always means comprimising the input PEQ, like having to mux the midbass on the input or split the input PEQ for the front components between the component woofer and the tweeter. Its hard enough using the verbose plugins let alone needing to remember not to put a too lower Q on the input for component woofer because the other half of the input is used for the tweeter. Its hard to explain but a simple approach would be what I described above.
So basically you have to few PEQ’s. Possibly experiment with FIR filters then if your particular hardware supports it?

On the other hand, why would you need more than 10 PEQ’s to flatten an individual driver?

OP
M

mamba76

Well, if it is going to be your first project with a pi it might not be the easiest one. You would need also a multichannel usb sound card, but there are cheap ones.
Thanks, my projects never are! I jump in the deep end and tend not to finish. Too many projects at once can make your brain boil, but with electronics I think the results are more rewarding. Shame my eyes are getting worse! I program in javascript and some C language so Im not afraid of bits and bytes its more not knowing about the hardware and tools available because I don't work in that enviroment but protocols I can learn.

Reactions: MCH
OP
M

mamba76

I would definitely not use a pi in a car

So basically you have to few PEQ’s. Possibly experiment with FIR filters then if your particular hardware supports it?

On the other hand, why would you need more than 10 PEQ’s to flatten an individual driver?
No 10 would be enough, 6 isn't but they must be soley responsible for one speaker only, its just simpler and more practical this way.
Actually your right, the first PEQs on the input are for a sort of master EQ shape of the entire system response (yes, this will affect my timings slightly)
I currently have one 2x4HD for streaming which feeds a CDSP6x8 (first one I bought) with LComp, RComp, Midbass(muxed) and Sub, you can see the problems Im getting from this.
But if I get another 2x4HD, like Iv been contemplating for a while, lll have my 8 independent 10 bands of proccessing on the outputs and I can lock the input channels and apply the same settings for both DSPs and voila.
I think Iv answered my own question here!!
Ill just use the MCHStreamer and optical splitter(unpowered type) for the inputs,

OP
M

mamba76

I actually have two CDSP6x8's, looks like they'll be going up for sale soon!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
C-DSP 8x12 V2.0 will do 10 PEQ’s for inputs and outputs.

OP
M

mamba76

C-DSP 8x12 V2.0 will do 10 PEQ’s for inputs and outputs.
I cant afford that ATM. Besides I have a big gripe with that (not the old hiss problem lol) it only has 25ms delay, honestly I need 35ms

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you need 35 ms for in a car? That’s like 12m distance..

OP
M

mamba76

The 13 inch jl sub in my spare tyre location of my Audi A4 avante fires throught the floor, bounced of the ceiling several times before it meets with the mids. This one thing has been the biggest improvement I ever made, I could not do it till I got the 2x4HD. On the rising front slope of the sub impulse is where I timed the rest of the system including the JL ZR800s in the rear doors. In my case impulse does work for subs. The attack is excellent and prooven when playing complicated bass lines (rap usually) like 2pac's trapped / whats ya phone number even rob base's it takes two. Try it.

Reactions: MCH
OP
M

mamba76

I appreciate all your replies. This will be my first choice for audio questions in the future as minidsp forums are a bit slow plus no one here will avoid hardware specific tinkering questionsand assume anyone who doesn't know stuff cant learn to do things the right way themselves and that they use a hammer and crowbar to work on their equiptment that you own and paid for!!

Webninja

Forum Donor
I’m not sure it will fit your exact application, but I’ve used Helix DSP in my last audio install and that along with Morel speakers was probably the best system I’ve heard (in a car).

OP
M

mamba76

That actually does look pretty decent and Iv already spent more with minidsp over the years. All the nuances I have with them seem to be addressed and some. Look at the software -
- does that look like a slide EQ too! very impressive, don't know how it can suggest phase without a measurement but its very cool. Iv heard of the Helix before TBH they seem leaps and bounds better than miniDSP, will look into more!
Can anyone vouch for it?
What can miniDSPs 8x12 do that this can't? Any limitations ? Is digital intergrity maintained ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom