• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help needed on Gustard DAC setup without Receiver

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I currently have the XLR output of the Gustard DAC going to a Buckeye amp and it works well. The way I integrated the sub is with high level (speaker wires) since I don't have a receiver with LFE output and DSP room correction and speaker volume adjustments. I have the sub crossover dialed in at about 80kHz (Speakers are KEF LS50 and the sub is KEF KC62).

What I do initially is set the sub and speakers both at 70dB using a stereo speaker setup CD. Then I use the Room EQ Wizard (REW) with a miniDSP UMIK mic for room correction and then use the convolution feature of Roon with the result.

So, it's a lot of work to do all this and I'm wondering if I'm doing this right? The DAC has simultaneous output of signal through RCA and I was thinking of routing it to the sub (although it is only 2V) instead of the high level speaker wires. I tried this before and the sub doesn't easily wake up with the lower voltage and softer volume levels and I have to turn the volume up a bit (the DAC outputs are 4Vrms for XLR and 2Vrms for RCA unbalanced).

So --- I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a receiver or is my current setup OK?

Or maybe a miniDSP would do the trick (although I am not sure what I would need for this)

Last edited:
Top Bottom