• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help - Low Mids / Bass

Paul_

Hey audio people,
I’m looking for experienced input, as I’ve just poured money into a system that I’m unhappy with, and it’s thrown me off.

I picked up a Node III, Rega Aethos, and Sonetto III. In store, I much preferred the big stage of the sonetto III to the Kef r5, which I had narrowed down to.

At home however, the sonetto’s feel devoid of upper bass, or growling low mid.

My room is very weird shaped (photo attached). The roof is high and sloped. I’d like good music in the kitchen and dining area, but it comes over with grating highs and not enough low. The bass is weak even on the couch.

The Node III doesn’t give me much eq control.

(Speakers are the circles on picture.)

My question is;
- do I simply need a woofer to fill out the sound, or
- is the room too big, and I need a different speaker, or
- do I need a dac with more control?

All thoughts welcome. I was hoping to be honeymooning with them, but we’re metaphorically arguing in the lobby of the hotel.

Attachments

• eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1IiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7ImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSIsIndpZHRoI...jpeg
    eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1IiwiZWRpdHMiOnsicmVzaXplIjp7ImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSIsIndpZHRoI...jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 66

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Your first port of call might be to measure, so you can see what's going on and what you're dealing with.

Measuring microphones aren't expensive: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 and the software is free: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

You will need a PC or a laptop for those though and some time to learn how it all works. :)

Surprisingly, some tower speakers don't go much lower than some bookshelf/stand mount speakers and can also benefit from a subwoofer. A measuring microphone will help you determine this and also help you integrate the sub if you end up going down that route.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Comparing speakers in store is a recipe for problems. Room acoustics play a huge role, the KEF R5 would likely sound better in your unusual room due to the more uniform radiation pattern. Particularly above 2000Hz, as there would be no vertical off-axis anomaly in the crossover region.

I would 100% be returning the DAC for something with better EQ capability, like a miniDSP Flex. I would also return the amp, because $4000 for something that only outputs 125 watts per channel into 8 Ohms is criminal. A Hypex NC502MP amp is a fifth the cost and over double the power, with near state of the art SINAD.

Adding a subwoofer is also a good idea. Gives you more headroom for EQ in the bass region, and with proper positioning you can combat room modes. The extra bass extension of tower speakers isn't always useful, as the optimal placement for stereo imaging usually conflicts with bass quality.

OP
P

Paul_

Thanks folks. Really appreciate you guiding me back to the basics of adaptability, and SNR.

@Count Arthur,
Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered a umik-1.

@alex-z,
Agree about the woofer. Do you think Kef R3 give better dispersion / be loud enough paired with a woof, or do I probably need the R5?

Love the look of the EQ software for miniDSP, but need something with streaming. I don't feel volume constrained with 125watts atm. What's your opinion on something like minidsp shd power? https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-power

ozzy9832001

A subwoofer would be my first step. May even want to consider 2 of them...or 4, if you have the $$$$. Odd rooms have odd room mode distribution and that is likely the cause of the missing bass. Multiple subs in multiple places crossed over at different frequencies will help to combat the mode distribution.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@alex-z,
Agree about the woofer. Do you think Kef R3 give better dispersion / be loud enough paired with a woof, or do I probably need the R5?

Love the look of the EQ software for miniDSP, but need something with streaming. I don't feel volume constrained with 125watts atm. What's your opinion on something like minidsp shd power? https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-power
The R3 and R5 are similar in terms of bass extension and output capability. I would personally pick the R3 which you can find for $1200-1400 and use the savings on a good subwoofer, an RSL Speedwoofer 10S perhaps.

125 watts isn't an issue, the $4000 price tag is IMO. That is a lot of money that could be spent on acoustic treatment or better speakers/subs.

SHD Power is a good choice if you want an all-in-one package, particularly because of Dirac Live. I would personally use a cheap PC as an external streamer, and have the standalone DAC + amp. That way you aren't shoehorned if you ever want future upgrades, like surround processing.

Top Bottom