• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help!! Keep getting static shock when I touch heat sink of my active speaker when I turn it off.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My PC is on it's own socket and power bar(APC surge protector), DAC(Topping DX7 pro) is on it's own socket and power bar(some cheap amazon one), and both my speakers(KH 310) are on the same power bar(Belkin surge protector) on another socket. All of them are grounded with 3 prone sockets and cord.

After putting a voltmeter on the shocking device to see if it is a static charge or something worse, feeding it all from a single wall outlet would be something I'd try (and what I do - except the PC, which is optically connected here)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Yikes. My experience with the grounding mats above, and I use them for computer builds and electronics work, is that the problem the op has would not be solved by them, if they solved your problem with the Soundstream, that proves me wrong, however...
The Soundstream was a special case. It was the digital IC's in the control circuit that were the problem. Back at my day job we found that some of our industrial products used the same series of chips and took precautions. (that was a long time ago on a Mothers Day weekend).

OP
R

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The ground lift is for noise I think? I will test it but that has to be tomorrow, and good idea, I should email them now.

Actully not able t get anything today, maybe because it's only been on for 2 hours? Also raining today.

After turned everything back on for like 30-40 mins I touched the heat sink of left one again and got the faintest of static discharge, almost unnoticeable

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like the groundlift switch may well be the problem.
Set it so the ground is not lifted.
When it still happens in this situation you will need to buy a cheap multimeter (could be less than $ 10.- or so) so you can check if the groundlift switch isn't broken and to measure if something else is wrong.

The only 2 likely scenarios is the groundlift switch, a defect (internal).

When it is on 1 speaker only switch left and right and see if it remains in the same speaker.

zalan.reilly

Last edited:
Top Bottom