• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help!! Keep getting static shock when I touch heat sink of my active speaker when I turn it off.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since I read people have frayed their speaker with static, I'd like to avoid this, what's the best way?

1. Leave it on all the time
2. Use power bar's switch to power it off every night.

3???

Please help, thanks.

HemiRick

static electricity should not hurt the speaker. I think you're worried about nothing. Is the weather where you are dry? the static problem should go away w increased humidity.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If it is static charge - touch something else before you touch the switch.

Or just use the power strip.

OP
R

ReaderZ

I did last night, touched metal window frame, still got the discharge... wtf? It's a bit dry here yes

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
I use a power strip, but that is because I have two of the JBL 305mkii and this gives me just one switch.

Here is a solution that will work: get an anti static wristband, connect it to safety ground. Wear it at all times. You may need to invest in a few miles (1.6 km) of 18 gauge primary wire.

OP
R

ReaderZ

I use a power strip, but that is because I have two of the JBL 305mkii and this gives me just one switch.

Here is a solution that will work: get an anti static wristband, connect it to safety ground. Wear it at all times. You may need to invest in a few miles (1.6 km) of 18 gauge primary wire.

LOL

OP
R

ReaderZ

The real problem is the dry weather and your shoes/carpet are making static. Try taking off your shoes.

Nope, not at all, I do not get shocked with anything else. For past few days I been using a wooden chopstick to do it so nothing happens, and I have not gotten shocked at all for days. Then I touched the back again just to see, and I got the static discharge, so it's definately the speaker building up static and not me, which worries me a bit.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Nope, not at all, I do not get shocked with anything else. For past few days I been using a wooden chopstick to do it so nothing happens, and I have not gotten shocked at all for days. Then I touched the back again just to see, and I got the static discharge, so it's definately the speaker building up static and not me, which worries me a bit.

Try grounding it. Someone with more of a clue chime in here, but I would run a ground wire to it and attach to the heat sink with an alligator clip.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

is a short 'shock' as when you are bothered by static electricity ?
In the dark do you see a spark ?
When you rub the metal parts with your finger does it give a 'bouncing/vibrating' feeling in your finger ?
Is it gone when disconnected from mains ?
Is it gone when the audio cable is disconnected ?
Are you using 3 pin wall sockets/power cords ?

Have you tried to run a wire from the metal parts (put it under a screw) to safety ground (see post #9 above).

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
I have an old media computer case that I spent weeks painting, sanding, and turning into a work of, well not art, but certainly bling.

It had a problem with shutting down every time I touched the aluminum front. I grounded the aluminum, but the problem wasn't fixed. Eventually, I figured out the little VFD display would somehow convert minor static shocks to massive voltage spikes into the USB header.

The case remains unused to this day. Guess I could fix the problem with an isolation dongle.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The Soundstream digital audio recorders had a problem something like that. The control panel switches were connected in a way to the logic chips in a way that static when touching a switch would mess up the logic. Had to remember to touch the panel before the switch.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
The Soundstream digital audio recorders had a problem something like that. The control panel switches were connected in a way to the logic chips in a way that static when touching a switch would mess up the logic. Had to remember to touch the panel before the switch.
Yikes. My experience with the grounding mats above, and I use them for computer builds and electronics work, is that the problem the op has would not be solved by them, if they solved your problem with the Soundstream, that proves me wrong, however...

When you rub the metal parts with your finger does it give a 'bouncing/vibrating' feeling in your finger ?

Oh shit, I see where you are going. Maybe if the AC mains plug can be reversed he should do that?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Oh shit, I see where you are going. Maybe if the AC mains plug can be reversed he should do that?

In some cases you may get lower leakage currents. With SMPS the trick may or may not work.

Firstly OP must find out where it comes from. One would think the speakers and equipment would all be tied together at the same potential level through the signal/ground wires.
That is unless in the offending device the ground is not connected to the casing (as with some Schiit gear).
In the latter case it might simply be solved...

OP
R

ReaderZ

Yes

No

I know what you mean, my old Asus laptop's aluminum shell does it when charging, but no, not in this case.

Going to try today

Going to try today.

Yes

A bit more information, My PC is on it's own socket and power bar(APC surge protector), DAC(Topping DX7 pro) is on it's own socket and power bar(some cheap amazon one), and both my speakers(KH 310) are on the same power bar(Belkin surge protector) on another socket. All of them are grounded with 3 prone sockets and cord. All using stock cable. PC to DAC is USB, DAC to speakers are XLR.

OP
R

ReaderZ

I'd measure the voltage on whatever is giving you a shock .

There might be something weird and potentially dangerous going on.

How to measure that voltage? What tool would I need?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I notice that the KH310 have a ground lift switch (this disconnects the ground on the XLR connection). Have you tried changing the setting to see if it makes any difference? (I don't think it will, but it's worth a try). Also, have you contacted Neumann about this?

OP
R

ReaderZ

I notice that the KH310 have a ground lift switch (this disconnects the ground on the XLR connection). Have you tried changing the setting to see if it makes any difference? (I don't think it will, but it's worth a try). Also, have you contacted Neumann about this?

The ground lift is for noise I think? I will test it but that has to be tomorrow, and good idea, I should email them now.

Have you tried to run a wire from the metal parts (put it under a screw) to safety ground (see post #9 above).

Actully not able t get anything today, maybe because it's only been on for 2 hours? Also raining today.

Top Bottom