• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones with great soundstage under 1000$

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never ever once heard a headphone with a *great* sound stage. Even the best I heard had just an adequate sound-stage placed inside your head - and yes, that includes binaural recordings (why do they bother?).

Both my Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro and Shure 1540s sound super resolving (and I love them), but I only get a realistic wider sound stage in front of me with my 2:1 setup.

Hckd

AKG K702 have a nice soundstage, very light and comfortable too. Very nice presentation (for my taste). Not too far from the HD800S tbh…

The only gripe I have with them is the build quality of the cables inside the cups (they break easily), but nothing that can’t be fixed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG K702 have a nice soundstage, very light and comfortable too. Very nice presentation (for my taste). Not too far from the HD800S tbh…

The only gripe I have with them is the build quality of the cables inside the cups (they break easily), but nothing that can’t be fixed.

Biggest problem with the FR on the 702 is bass roll off so OP needs to take into account.

Personally I think the OP has some compromises to make, which might well include considering Hifiman. If I were them I would obtain some Edition XS from a reliable vendor that will accept returns easily. Or possibly order a range from Amazon and have a few days comparing and send back the duds- what I would sample:

Edition XS
Senn 560S
AKG K702

OP
T

TBsq

I tried the K712 pro and really disliked it

Hckd

Biggest problem with the FR on the 702 is bass roll off so OP needs to take into account.

Personally I think the OP has some compromises to make, which might well include considering Hifiman. If I were them I would obtain some Edition XS from a reliable vendor that will accept returns easily. Or possibly order a range from Amazon and have a few days comparing and send back the duds- what I would sample:

Edition XS
Senn 560S
AKG K702
Yes, with EQ they became quite good tho.

I tried the K712 pro and really disliked it

Never tried them unfortunately…

Peterinvan

How does the Meze 109 compares to the HD800 ?
i bought the HD800 a couple of years ago, but had to return them as they exacerbated my tinnitus (which rings about 7KHz). It took a few days for my ears to return to “normal”
They are very light and comfortable. I recall that the tuning is “neutral” with good soundstage.

The 109 presents a fun, deep bass that the Senns doesn’t have. The 109s are mid forward, much like the Grado house sound. And the highs are present, but not bothersome.
The 109s are very comfortable. My other headphones are feeling neglected :)

hope that helps.

Last edited:

Mowz

A lot of gamers like the dt1990s Soundstage. I have them, aeon and sundara and it is my preferred for games with positional stuff but I always use equalizer for music as they are a bit bright for me.

Top Bottom