• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Measurements for All

ztatic

Technical Expert
In another thread, the off-topic topic of headphone measurements came up, where I declared that I think the standard way is problematic. Someone agreed and someone else suggested I start a thread about how I'd do it differently.

In my work, I have reason to do such measurements. I've had a pretty good think about them and done some tinkering on the bench. I started out accepting the standard way, with a microphone at the bottom of an artificial ear canal in an artificial head. I initially reasoned that, since this appears to be a widely accepted standard, at least the results should be meaningful and comparable.

Due to the prominent measurement artifacts and high data variability caused by sensitivity to headphone placement on the head, I soon decided that it was impossible to get a clear idea of what the differences might be in headphone sound based on frequency response data acquired this way, except for a general idea of broad characteristics. Besides, this approach doesn’t make physical sense.

It seems to me that placing a microphone at the bottom of a tube that's supposed to represent the ear canal and surrounding the exit of the tube with an artificial ear is a wrongheaded convention, so to speak.

The reason the tube makes no sense is very simply that the part of the ear that's struck by sound is on the outside. Whatever wiggles are caused by ear canal resonances are disregarded by the brain, so there’s no reason to [attempt to] record them.

The reason an artificial ear makes no sense is that the pinnae are effectively rendered non-functional with headphones -- the in-your-head sound is proof of that. The pinnae are doing something, in that they are causing wiggles in the top octaves of the frequency response, but since those wiggles are not changing dynamically, they are not providing any dynamic sound location information. The brain thus disregards them.

Lastly, recording the wiggles in the upper frequency response caused by cavity resonances inside an over-the-ear headphone makes no sense because those are rejected like the static pinnae effects.

Furthermore, those wiggles are strongly dependent on how the headphones are positioned on the artificial head. In other words, they’re dependent on the measurement apparatus, so your results on your own personal or artificial head will vary, as they will vary between labs.

When more than one lab publishes data acquired this way on the same headphones, they risk provoking kerfuffles, but I don’t care about that. I care about people having access to easily interpreted data and not only that, but also being able to generate data for themselves that’s reasonably comparable from apparatus to apparatus.

I’ve not developed a finished apparatus yet.

What I've been doing so far is merely determining what a credible apparatus and measurement scheme would be, including that the measurements should be immune to the effects of reasonably sloppy placement of the headphones, so anyone can repeat it at low cost and get comparable results.

Broad strokes, the response from, say, 500 Hz up is measured with the can in open air and the mic a short distance from it, perhaps at about the same distance as an ear would be. This is pretty similar to a free field measurement, e.g., nearly anechoic, not be confused with a diffuse field measurement, e.g., with sound coming from all directions equally, which some labs attempt to simulate by equalizing the standard data.

With large area transducers, there will probably be interference artifacts, because the distance to the diaphragm will vary from the center to the edge. Perhaps simply using a larger measurement distance or measuring from some point other than on axis will keep these minimal. On the other hand, at a greater distance, there may be lobing and thus problematic sensitivity to position relative to the transducer central axis. If such problems are insurmountable by way of microphone positioning without equalization, I’ll come up with a way of compensating them based on the transducer diameter and microphone placement.

Below 500 Hz, the can is sealed to a fixture that has a mic located at about the usual ear distance. The two plots would be combined. If it turns out that two different microphone distances work better, then the levels will be adjusted to make their transition coincide.

The particulars of seating the headphones will depend on whether the headphones are over-ear or on-ear. For on-ear, perhaps an artificial ear surrounding the microphone makes sense for creating a typical amount of bass leakage. In that case, a silicone ear that can be bought cheaply through Amazon or Alibaba will be recommended.

I suppose to get the highest cutoff and simulate the ear canal aperture size, a 1/8" microphone is most suitable to the application in a strict sense. On the other hand, these small capsule microphones are very expensive and generally need better electronics because of their small signal strength, so most people aren't going to want to buy one.

To stick to the goal of making this an Everyman's apparatus, I say an inexpensive 1/2" is the way to go, with an expectation that the measurements may be off by broad dips or rises of a dB or two here and there. It also means a response that will not go much over 20 kHz, so an inexpensive or built-in sound card can be used that can only do 48/16, although most will do 196/24 these days. FWIW, a usable 1/2" mic from Dayton (Parts Express) is $60. An Audix TM1 1/4" [6 mm] from Amazon is $200 on sale ($325 list), and will get you to 25 kHz. A 1/4" [6 mm] Earthworks is $700 and will get you to 30 kHz.

Solderdude and mitchco both mentioned within hours of my original posting that condenser microphones tend to have a lot of 2nd harmonic. I'll have to find an affordable microphone that, when compared to my B&K, has very little. If I don't find one, then I can characterize a decent microphone's distortion and this can be subtracted from the measurement data for a particular SPL or small set of SPL's using a spreadsheet or a little software routine.

A 1/8" [3 mm] mic, however, is a specialty item. The GRAS 46DE is an industry standard, and will measure 6 Hz - 70 kHz, but is listed as "call for price" everywhere. I can guess GRAS charges a lot more for this than for its larger mics, which are in the $1600 - $2400 range. To make the most of spending that much money, you'd also be in for the cost of a calibrator or periodic factory calibrations. I think the thing would be quite a responsibility for most people, including me. Anyway, I’d like to keep the basic parts and software list under $300.

FWIW, I've got a Bruel & Kjaer with all the fixin’s that I rarely take out of its case. I just know Murphy dictates that there's a finite number of times I can set it up before it becomes the first mic I've ever broken. For daily work, I've got two identical, reasonably inexpensive 1/2" mics, one of which I've dropped a few times. Each time it gets whacked, I compare it to the other one to check for damage. If I ever do ruin it, it won't be painful to replace.

Back to the original topic. The measurements will include of course the frequency response, which most people can run, have familiarity with, and can use to help them guess what a headset might sound like. For my part, plots with pink noise and fast sweep excitation will both be run and compared, although it may turn out that they are so similar for headphones that one will suffice for publication. I'd also run a distortion plot for the first few harmonics and a waterfall representation of resonant behavior, plus an electrical impedance plot, of course.

Shortly after I posted this, Amir mentioned that power handling is also a nice thing to know about, but rarely reported. An interesting factor is that to attain a given SPL, low sensitivity headphones are driven with more power than those with high sensitivity. I think finding the SPL where a headset falls apart would combine both factors and be an intuitively understandable metric.

To avoid disagreement over what constitutes falling apart, we could agree on a maximum increase in THD and a maximum deviation in frequency response from what they are at moderate levels. An example might be a 3 dB maximum deviation anywhere in the frequency response or 3% THD. We could call it the 3 x 3 sound disintegration proxy.

A problem when testing some headphones this way is that driver damage could occur when dwelling above a power level that still does not exceed the 3 x 3 criteria. A planar magnetic's diaphragm might melt, a dynamic's coil open up, or an electrostatic arc, even when a fast sweep stilmulus is being used, and I don't wish to perform destructive testing on anything but my fellow man.

For this reason, it may be good to set some maximum SPL that is considered worth achieving without falling apart, like 110 dB, and above which the issue of the sound falling apart becomes intertwined with the issue of causing deafness. In cases where a 3 x 3 was never hit, there could be an entry in the results table that means Good at 110 dB.

Put it all together, and I think the data will give a fair clue about the sound, although I don’t expect it to beat taking a listen for yourself or the word of a trusted advisor.

When I’ve got something done, which might not be until Autumn, I’ll post a complete description and maybe a video of me using it. If it doesn’t go up here, it will at least be in the company newsletter.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The reason an artificial ear makes no sense is that the pinnae are effectively rendered non-functional with headphones -- the in-your-head sound is proof of that. The pinnae are doing something, in that they are causing wiggles in the top octaves of the frequency response, but since those wiggles are not changing dynamically, they are not providing any dynamic sound location information. The brain thus disregards them.

Have a look at the research done by Sam (Rtings) which suggests (and my experiments confirm this) that there is Pinna interaction (actually Concha interaction) depending on driver size, position and angle.
The last part, driver size, position and angle, is my assertion.
I do not share the conclusions Sam draws but the measurements (with and without) Pinna which is the only change so 'ear canal' is always present, is interesting to say the least.

Using an artificial ear canal is 'stupid' (I don't use it) as all changes it makes to the sound needs to be reverted afterwards.

I have discussed the 2 step measurement method with someone a long time ago. He even wrote a paper about it.
It looks like the Pinna is important above 500Hz. Still I don't use a Pinna (by lack of a good one) but am of the opinion the driver output has to be measured under actual conditions thus while sealed with a surface kind of similar to skin.
Removing that part might skew measurements more than it will give representative data.

It's real pioneering in the headphone measurement business. Mostly in coming up with a decent method that correlates well with how they sound. That last part is the difficult part.
For instance there are headphones that one person finds very bassy and others find 'neutral'.
Can't please everyone with 1 compensation/correlation curve.

A good mic and above all pre-amp and ADC as well as dead quiet room to measure in is key to get somewhat meaningful distortion measurements.
Mine are crap... cheap mic (known for higher 2nd order), own pre-amp with correction for the mic itself.
A mic mounted in free air and on a baffle or endless baffle may not measure the same depending on the sensitivity all around it.
Then the UMC204HD I use is great as a DAC but has high 2nd order in the ADC mic section.
Still I find some correlation with what is measured when you know what to discard.

Measuring headphones may be one of the hardest things to do properly. I don't think a HATS is the right way to do this though.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I too am very disappointed in our current state of headphone measurements. I love to see what you come up with.

One thing I like to see more of is power handling. In my recent test of high-power headphone amplifiers, there was massive difference in how much power each headphone could handle, and how it fell apart as it got close to that level and beyond.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In another thread, the off-topic topic of headphone measurements came up, where I declared that I think the standard way is problematic. Someone agreed and someone else suggested I start a thread about how I'd do it differently.

In my work, I have reason to do such measurements. I've had a pretty good think about them and done some tinkering on the bench. I started out accepting the standard way, with a microphone at the bottom or an artificial ear canal in an artificial head. I initially reasoned that, since this appears to be a widely accepted standard, at least the results should be meaningful and comparable.

Due to the prominent measurement artifacts and high data variability caused by sensitivity to headphone placement on the head, I soon decided that it was impossible to get a clear idea of what the differences might be in headphone sound based on frequency response data acquired this way, except for a general idea of broad characteristics. Besides, this approach doesn’t make physical sense.

It seems to me that placing a microphone at the bottom of a tube that's supposed to represent the ear canal and surrounding the exit of the tube with an artificial ear is a wrongheaded convention, so to speak.

The reason the tube makes no sense is very simply that the part of the ear that's struck by sound is on the outside. Whatever wiggles are caused by ear canal resonances are disregarded by the brain, so there’s no reason to [attempt to] record them.

Lastly, recording the wiggles in the upper frequency response caused by cavity resonances inside an over-the-ear headphone makes no sense because those are rejected like the static pinnae effects.

Furthermore, those wiggles are strongly dependent on how the headphones are positioned on the artificial head. In other words, they’re dependent of the measurement apparatus, so your results on your own personal or artificial head will vary, as they will vary between labs.

When more than one lab publishes data acquired this way on the same headphones, they risk provoking kerfuffles, but I don’t care about that. I care about people having access to easily interpreted data and not only that, but also being able to generate data for themselves that’s reasonably comparable from apparatus to apparatus.

I’ve not developed a finished apparatus yet.

What I've been doing so far is merely determining what a credible apparatus and measurement scheme would be, including that the measurements should be immune to the effects of reasonably sloppy placement of the headphones, so anyone can repeat it at low cost and get comparable results.

Broad strokes, the response from, say, 500 Hz up is measured with the can in open air and the mic a short distance from it, perhaps at about the same distance as an ear would be. This is pretty similar to a free field measurement, e.g., nearly anechoic, not be confused with a diffuse field measurement, e.g., with sound coming from all directions equally, which some labs attempt to simulate by equalizing the standard data.

With large area transducers, there will probably be interference artifacts, because the distance to the diaphragm will vary from the center to the edge. Perhaps simply using a larger measurement distance or measuring from some point other than on axis will keep these minimal. On the other hand, at a greater distance, there may be lobing and thus problematic sensitivity to position relative to the transducer central axis. If such problems are insurmountable by way of microphone positioning without equalization, I’ll come up with a way of compensating them based on the transducer diameter and microphone placement.

Below 500 Hz, the can is sealed to a fixture that has a mic located at about the usual ear distance. The two plots would be combined. If it turns out that two different microphone distances work better, then the levels will be adjusted to make their transition coincide.

The particulars of seating the headphones will depend on whether the headphones are over-ear or on-ear. For on-ear, perhaps an artificial ear surrounding the microphone makes sense for creating a typical amount of bass leakage. In that case, a silicone ear that can be bought cheaply through Amazon or Alibaba will be recommended.

I suppose to get the highest cutoff and simulate the ear canal aperture size, a 1/8" microphone is most suitable to the application in a strict sense. On the other hand, these small capsule microphones are very expensive and generally need better electronics because of their small signal strength, so most people aren't going to want to buy one.

To stick to the goal of making this an Everyman's apparatus, I say an inexpensive 1/2" is the way to go, with an expectation that the measurements may be off by broad dips or rises of a dB or two here and there. It also means a response that will not go much over 20 kHz, so an inexpensive or built-in sound card can be used that can only do 48/16, although most will do 196/24 these days. FWIW, a usable 1/2" mic from Dayton (Parts Express) is $60. An Audix TM1 1/4" [6 mm] from Amazon is $200 on sale ($325 list), and will get you to 25 kHz. A 1/4" [6 mm] Earthworks is $700 and will get you to 30 kHz.

A 1/8" [3 mm] mic, however, is a specialty item. The GRAS 46DE is an industry standard, and will measure 6 Hz - 70 kHz, but is listed as "call for price" everywhere. I can guess GRAS charges a lot more for this than for its larger mics, which are in the $1600 - $2400 range. To make the most of spending that much money, you'd also be in for the cost of a calibrator or periodic factory calibrations. I think the thing would be quite a responsibility for most people, including me. Anyway, I’d like to keep the basic parts and software list under $300.

FWIW, I've got a Bruel & Kjaer with all the fixin’s that I rarely take out of its case. I just know Murphy dictates that there's a finite number of times I can set it up before it becomes the first mic I've ever broken. For daily work, I've got two identical, reasonably inexpensive 1/2" mics, one of which I've dropped a few times. Each time it gets whacked, I compare it to the other one to check for damage. If I ever do ruin it, it won't be painful to replace.

Back to the original topic. The measurements will include of course the frequency response, which most people can run, have familiarity with, and can use to help them guess what a headset might sound like. For my part, plots with pink noise and fast sweep excitation will both be run and compared, although it may turn out that they are so similar for headphones that one will suffice for publication. I'd also run a distortion plot for the first few harmonics and a waterfall representation of resonant behavior, plus an electrical impedance plot, of course.

Put it all together, and I think the data will give a fair clue about the sound, although I don’t expect it to beat taking a listen for yourself or the word of a trusted advisor.

When I’ve got something done, which might not be until Autumn, I’ll post a complete description and maybe a video of me using it. If it doesn’t go up here, it will at least be in the company newsletter.

My (totally unscientific) attempt to measure and EQ headphones was posted earlier:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...headphone-software-correction.3453/post-85246

and a photo of the measurement apparatus, here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...headphone-software-correction.3453/post-85252

This seems to work fairly well for me: I really enjoy the EQ'ed version of the sound over both, HD650's and HE560's that I've so adjusted.

Curious to see what you'll come up with!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Power ratings vary between 20mW and 200mW for most portable headphones. From 200mW to 1W is usually for DJ-type headphones. Higher power ratings seem reserved for Orthodynamics.

The differences in power ratings and efficiency varies a lot.
I made THIS table a while ago where efficiencies, impedances and SPL levels of most headphones are side by side.
It shows the wide variety in specs (as far as I could retrieve them).

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Sounds cool! I was able to achieve repeatable results using binaural in-ear mics from 20 Hz up to about 7 kHz, even when moving the headset and mic's around. You can see the measurement results here.

As mentioned by @solderdude most electret mics have huge 2nd order distortion - this will be the blocker to getting good distortion measurements as it is rare to see published distortion specs on measurement mics.

Have you looked at David Griesingers work on this subject area? Attached is interesting. Also, Accurate reproduction of non-individual binaural recordings without head tracking through individual headphone equalization Very interesting read, plus listening to the samples is a real ear opener.

Good luck, will be interesting to see your results.

Attachments

• Binaural_hearing_and_headphones.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 409
OP
ztatic

ztatic

Technical Expert
I too am very disappointed in our current state of headphone measurements. I love to see what you come up with.

One thing I like to see more of is power handling. In my recent test of high-power headphone amplifiers, there was massive difference in how much power each headphone could handle, and how it fell apart as it got close to that level and beyond.

Edited post to account for your comment. Thanks.

OP
ztatic

ztatic

Technical Expert
Sounds cool! I was able to achieve repeatable results using binaural in-ear mics from 20 Hz up to about 7 kHz, even when moving the headset and mic's around. You can see the measurement results here.

As mentioned by @solderdude most electret mics have huge 2nd order distortion - this will be the blocker to getting good distortion measurements as it is rare to see published distortion specs on measurement mics.

Have you looked at David Griesingers work on this subject area? Attached is interesting. Also, Accurate reproduction of non-individual binaural recordings without head tracking through individual headphone equalization Very interesting read, plus listening to the samples is a real ear opener.

Good luck, will be interesting to see your results.

Edited post to partially account for your comment. Will check out the papers you cite. Thanks.

OP
ztatic

ztatic

Technical Expert
Have a look at the research done by Sam (Rtings) which suggests (and my experiments confirm this) that there is Pinna interaction (actually Concha interaction) depending on driver size, position and angle.
The last part, driver size, position and angle, is my assertion.
I do not share the conclusions Sam draws but the measurements (with and without) Pinna which is the only change so 'ear canal' is always present, is interesting to say the least.

Using an artificial ear canal is 'stupid' (I don't use it) as all changes it makes to the sound needs to be reverted afterwards.

I have discussed the 2 step measurement method with someone a long time ago. He even wrote a paper about it.
It looks like the Pinna is important above 500Hz. Still I don't use a Pinna (by lack of a good one) but am of the opinion the driver output has to be measured under actual conditions thus while sealed with a surface kind of similar to skin.
Removing that part might skew measurements more than it will give representative data.

It's real pioneering in the headphone measurement business. Mostly in coming up with a decent method that correlates well with how they sound. That last part is the difficult part.
For instance there are headphones that one person finds very bassy and others find 'neutral'.
Can't please everyone with 1 compensation/correlation curve.

A good mic and above all pre-amp and ADC as well as dead quiet room to measure in is key to get somewhat meaningful distortion measurements.
Mine are crap... cheap mic (known for higher 2nd order), own pre-amp with correction for the mic itself.
A mic mounted in free air and on a baffle or endless baffle may not measure the same depending on the sensitivity all around it.
Then the UMC204HD I use is great as a DAC but has high 2nd order in the ADC mic section.
Still I find some correlation with what is measured when you know what to discard.

Measuring headphones may be one of the hardest things to do properly. I don't think a HATS is the right way to do this though.

Edited post to partially account for your comment. Thanks.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
here.

I've published distortion data on several mikes (e.g., Earthworks, PCB Piezotronics) and can test anything that any of the forumites would care to send me. I'm equipped for phantom, constant current, and dynamic/ribbon.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For this reason, it may be good to set some maximum SPL that is considered worth achieving without falling apart, like 110 dB, and above which the issue of the sound falling apart becomes intertwined with the issue of causing deafness. In cases where a 3 x 3 was never hit, there could be an entry in the results table that means Good at 110 dB.

Have measured headphones that 'fall apart' around 80dB SPL. AKG K500/K501, Some Superluxes, Pro-82 and quite a few others.
I have even blown a 40mm driver by applying 50mW.
Finding a microphone with low distortion (< 0.01% at 1kHz) at 110dB SPL will be a daunting task.
SIY could well be of assistance here.

OP
ztatic

ztatic

Technical Expert
Are you affiliated with Janszen?

Didn't realize how to create a profile. Just added a short posting. Yeah, I'm David Janszen. My father was Arthur. Electrostatics are in my blood, you could say. I'm happy maintaining the family restriction to developing electrostatics, because I'm pretty sure they're the highest fidelity means for making sound, at least if you don't count plasma transducers for treble. I'm an engineer with physics and engineering design degrees, and a little too much experience to mention among young people.

OP
ztatic

ztatic

Technical Expert
Have measured headphones that 'fall apart' around 80dB SPL. AKG K500/K501, Some Superluxes, Pro-82 and quite a few others.
I have even blown a 40mm driver by applying 50mW.
Finding a microphone with low distortion (< 0.01% at 1kHz) at 110dB SPL will be a daunting task.
SIY could well be of assistance here.

How would you define falling apart?

OP
ztatic

ztatic

Technical Expert
I've published distortion data on several mikes (e.g., Earthworks, PCB Piezotronics) and can test anything that any of the forumites would care to send me. I'm equipped for phantom, constant current, and dynamic/ribbon.

It would save me some time to see that data. How do I find it? (Thanks. )

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

So you think there are headphones that need to handle more power? Have you come across headphones that were not loud enough for you? Do you EQ headphones?

garbulky

Major Contributor
Didn't realize how to create a profile. Just added a short posting. Yeah, I'm David Janszen. My father was Arthur. Electrostatics are in my blood, you could say. I'm happy maintaining the family restriction to developing electrostatics, because I'm pretty sure they're the highest fidelity means for making sound, at least if you don't count plasma transducers for treble. I'm an engineer with physics and engineering design degrees, and a little too much experience to mention among young people.
Well, hi there! Welcome!

Top Bottom