• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 Review (headphone amp)

Svperstar

So I was thinking of getting an original Gilmore Lite for the nostalgia but instead I decided to just get the Golden Reference Power Supply(GRPS). It just got delivered. I've had a good year and already maxed out my Roth IRA :)

As Amir said the "basic" power supply is .25 an amp:
A massive and beefy AC transformer provides +-15 volts AC but at just 1/4 of an amp. This means low impedance loads may provide some limitation.

I was talking to HeadAmp this week and they said that the GRPS provides 1.2 amps vs the basic power supply which is 1/4 of an amp.

Anyway I realize this is not scientific in the slightest but I put on my Sennheiser HD6XX and I loaded up a song I have heard 1,000 times. Nirvana - Lounge Act. I have been using this song to test audio gear going back 20 years.

At :45 Kurt says "prove I still......." and all the instruments come into the chorus. I have listened too this section so many times I have lost count:

Anyway I maxed out the volume on the Gilmore Lite and turned the volume way down on YouTube to listenable level. I am then turning off and on the Gilmore Lite mk2 and swapping between the "basic"power supply I have been using since I got it in 2019 and the GRPS.

Too my ears the base is louder on the GRPS. I realize this is 100% non-scientific and may be a placebo. "It says the power supply is an upgrade so you hear an upgrade you idiot!" I know I know. It really does sound like the bass is louder with the GRPS hooked up.

I wonder if I had a crazy hard to drive headphone at home if I would hear a difference.

GRPS - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom