• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD6XX - Schiit Stack - Need More Punch!

AVPM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Love the group of folks on here sharing their passion for great audio! I am hoping that the collective can point me in the right direction.

I currently have the following setup:

Sen HD6XX
Schiit Magni Heresy, Modi 3+, & Loki Mini+
Source - Laptop running local FLAC files and Qobuz streamining

I have adjusted everything I possible can, and there is still not enough “punch”. I listen to mostly classic and alternative rock and everything sounds thin, without substance. I am more the willing to upgrade everything I have to get better sound, but I am not sure where to go next. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Tom C

Major Contributor
My friend, I believe you have come to the right place. Please be patient and allow time for people to see your post and respond. Also important to search the threads here for the information important to you.
Know that there are many members here, some amateur like me, some quite expert.
My two cents wrt your question is that you need higher bass output. Your chosen sources and DAC have the chops. The greatest difference to be had is in the speakers. I have Senn HD650, mostly because everybody does. But these are open back. Closed back will have higher bass output. There are many offerings to investigate. For me personally, I like JBL. But that’s just an anecdote. There are lots of excellent offerings.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@AVPM do you have a PEQ installed on your notebook? Are you operating with Windows, Linux or Mac?

OP
AVPM

AVPM

No sir, I do not. Running Windows 10. I have a Loki which provides some eq. Even with the low end turned most of the way up it’s still pretty dead.

A Crabb

Forum Donor
Just happened to be listening to my 6xx right now. I’ve had a similar dull experience with them until I started to EQ them closer to Harmon as Amir and others here have suggested. Even with the EQ, my best experience has been out of my Jotunheim balanced in high gain; I wish knew the reason why. I have a Schiit Modius and a E1DA 9038D hooked up to the Jotunheim.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As s others have said, welcome and parametric equalization is what you need. As above install an equalizer plug in for your audio player and use it to pump up the bass to your desired listening levels.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Punch and HD6** don't mix. You may need to look for a closed headphone.
You would have to boost the 150Hz band (narrow) or somewhere in that range a lot to get more 'punch' (PEQ) but may muddy the sound at the same time.
Heresy is fine.
Loki is just a wideband 'tone control' and cannot possibly lift the needed frequency band.
I would experiment with some parametric EQ in the mentioned frequency range and play with amplitude and bandwidth settings.

Running Windows 10. I have a Loki which provides some eq. Even with the low end turned most of the way up it’s still pretty dead.

Use VLC player it has a graphic equalizer, free software so costs nothing to try. Play with that. The Schiit stuff should be fine.
Remember to pull the 'pre-amp' slider (on the left) down when increasing bass.

Last edited:

mSpot

everything sounds thin, without substance
That isn't the character of the HD6XX/650. If anything, some people complain that its sound is too warm. As a sanity check that something isn't wrong with your audio chain, listen to the HD6XX plugged directly into your laptop's headphone jack. If it doesn't sound thin, then there is an issue with your DAC or amp.

threni

Major Contributor
No sir, I do not. Running Windows 10. I have a Loki which provides some eq. Even with the low end turned most of the way up it’s still pretty dead.
Something is wrong. Loki with max bass is very bassy!

OP
AVPM

AVPM

I am going to fire up the computer this afternoon and try out some EQ settings. Thank you all for your tips!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

cheapmessiah

EQ might only get you so far, I had the dt770, so called "bass canons" for years and was more or les happy with them, I wanted to try planar magnetic and open headphones so i bought the hifiman he400i 2020, a nice entry level amp and a good dac, started EQing to harman target and the results are the DT770s can only produce so much volume before distortion happens and the he400i just destroy them on bass response and output volume, sub bass is great too.

One of my internet friends did a similar change, he went from DT990 to sundara with more or less the same experience as me.

So if you are unable to get the results you want with the 6xx, nowadays the entry level for planar magnetics is quite affordable and high quality, you can get sales of the he400i 2020 every now and then since its getting discontinued, you can also get the he400se wich is more or less the same headphones but price reduced to be more competitive on its price braket. I think both these sets are great taking EQ, and have exceptional performance once EQed, specially when you factor in the price.

EDIT: you seem to have found what you needed eqing the 6xx as i was writing my post, thats great!

mSpot

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!! I downloaded VLC, set the EQ to oratory1990's settings for the HD650 and BAM...MIND BLOWN!!!
In that case, the bottom line is that the stock HD650/6XX sound signature is not agreeable to you. If you want to address the root cause, it would be to get a different headphone.

Top Bottom