• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

OP
L5730

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'll address the second question first:

The volume pot in most of these headphone amps control both the signal coming out of the headphone socket (obviously) and the signal level coming out of the RCA line outputs on the back. At maximum volume it won't be amplifying the line out signal nor attenuating it, but there could be the tiniest bit of degradation or imbalance or whatever, but that is unlikely at the maximum point on the control.
The amplifiers typically need to be turned on for the whole circuit to work and the line signal to be allowed to pass from input to the headphone amp to the line outputs, even though this signal is not really being amplified.

The A50 is different to the typical headphone amps. When it is turned off the line output is a pass through from the line input. This means that you cannot control the volume of the signal feeding the speakers from the headphone amplifier volume knob, but it also means the signal is preserved with less possibility of degradation. Measurements would confirm or deny how much relevance there is in my point here.

If you wanted similar behaviour (a fixed volume from D10 DAC line out > Speaker line in) as what the A50 offers, then a switch box to bypass the other headphone amplifiers completely would do just that. They would not need to be turned on to let the signal flow to the speakers as they would be switched out of the signal path.

But...if you wanted to use the headphone amplifier as an in-line volume control for your speakers, which it does seem you might, then I do not know if the A50 will actually do that. When powered off it says that it passes line in to line out, but it says that it will disconnect the signal when powered on - so you could not use the A50 as an inline volume control for your speakers whether you turn the A50 on or leave it off. Only leaving it off would let the full volume signal from D10 DAC go to the speakers, and you'd control the volume at the speakers or in software on your computer.

I hope this helps.

renoxd

Thank you for your reply.

So the question is about what degration we are talking about. To be honest i didn't even know that this is a problem. I didn't even know it existed ;)

OP
L5730

L5730

Thank you for your reply.

So the question is about what degration we are talking about. To be honest i didn't even know that this is a problem. I didn't even know it existed ;)
In all honesty, it probably doesn't and I fear I may be making an issue out of something that isn't one.

renoxd

In all honesty, it probably doesn't and I fear I may be making an issue out of something that isn't one.

I'm glad I learned something new. Even if this problem is minor, thank you for hearing about him from you.
Life is about gathering new experiences, isn't it?

Does the use of an amp have any benefits with active speakers?
Could it be that the sound will be better because of the amplifier?
Or maybe a built-in amplifier (in this case class D) in active speakers is always the best option and we should always try to bypass the amplifier during the signal path?

I apologize to everyone for continuing the conversation, not necessarily in the subject

greetings

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the headphones are plugged in the RCA outputs to the speakers are muted, and when the headphones are unplugged it's a straight pass through*.
Unlike the Atom for instance.

But are you sure RCA out is muted when headphones are plugged or is it when the unit is On?

OP
L5730

L5730

Well, the way I see it, if there is channel imbalance (an issue that JDS Labs address wrt their Atom) then it will affect both headphones in the headphone jacks and speakers connected the the line outs, as the volume knob is in the signal path for both.
This is probably more of a small sample issue, and as always if everything is fine people generally don't mention it, so only bad news is the news you read.
Additionally what is in the signal path between line in and line out? What measurable/audible effect does it have, if any?

A headphone amplifier will not amplify the signal on the line outputs, which go to the speakers in your case.
However, the volume knob on most (but not the A50) will allow you to attenuate (reduce) the volume going to the connected speakers. This is desirable to many as it's a single knob to turn which adjusts the stereo signal. Otherwise, with a lot of active (powered) speakers, one has to adjust the volume on each speaker independently, which is a pain in the bum. Not in your case with your speakers as one is passive, the other the powered master with the electronics in.

Sound better because of the amplifier? No. It's not amplifying the line level signal and shouldn't be changing it at all. Shouldn't sound better, shouldn't sound worse - but might if I put on my paranoia hat ;)

The speakers you have had an inbuilt Power amplifier and a pre-amplifier and a DAC (and maybe an ADC from the analogue signal ? ). You are not amplifying the signal with a headphone amp going to these speakers, it is a line level audio signal and only gets quieter if you have the volume knob lower than 100% on the headphone amp. But that might be useful to you.

Unlike the Atom for instance.
But are you sure RCA out is muted when headphones are plugged or is it when the unit is On?

1577312223924.png

"it will switch off this channel after A50 is turned on" / "it can set the speaker muted when A50 is turn on, and resume output when the A50 is turn off".
That's what it reads like to me. A50 powered on = muted RCA line out. A50 powered off = RCA line out signal pass through (no volume control).
Ah, it does not mention the effect when the headphones are plugged in - so it might be saying you can leave your headphones in all the time, and just switch on/off to output on the line outs???

Fawzay

Well, the way I see it, if there is channel imbalance (an issue that JDS Labs address wrt their Atom) then it will affect both headphones in the headphone jacks and speakers connected the the line outs, as the volume knob is in the signal path for both.
This is probably more of a small sample issue, and as always if everything is fine people generally don't mention it, so only bad news is the news you read.
Additionally what is in the signal path between line in and line out? What measurable/audible effect does it have, if any?

A headphone amplifier will not amplify the signal on the line outputs, which go to the speakers in your case.
However, the volume knob on most (but not the A50) will allow you to attenuate (reduce) the volume going to the connected speakers. This is desirable to many as it's a single knob to turn which adjusts the stereo signal. Otherwise, with a lot of active (powered) speakers, one has to adjust the volume on each speaker independently, which is a pain in the bum. Not in your case with your speakers as one is passive, the other the powered master with the electronics in.

Sound better because of the amplifier? No. It's not amplifying the line level signal and shouldn't be changing it at all. Shouldn't sound better, shouldn't sound worse - but might if I put on my paranoia hat ;)

The speakers you have had an inbuilt Power amplifier and a pre-amplifier and a DAC (and maybe an ADC from the analogue signal ? ). You are not amplifying the signal with a headphone amp going to these speakers, it is a line level audio signal and only gets quieter if you have the volume knob lower than 100% on the headphone amp. But that might be useful to you.

View attachment 43653
"it will switch off this channel after A50 is turned on" / "it can set the speaker muted when A50 is turn on, and resume output when the A50 is turn off".
That's what it reads like to me. A50 powered on = muted RCA line out. A50 powered off = RCA line out signal pass through (no volume control).
Ah, it does not mention the effect when the headphones are plugged in - so it might be saying you can leave your headphones in all the time, and just switch on/off to output on the line outs???

Am about to place an order for this a50 amp until i saw this.... i hope someone with the a50 could clarify and test that for us that would be greatly appreciated :)
but if that statement is true, then i have to adjust volume from active speaker that will be shag af....

Last edited:

ninetylol

Am about to place an order for this a50 amp until i saw this.... i hope someone with the a50 could clarify and test that for us that would be greatly appreciated :)
but if that statement is true, then i have to adjust volume from active speaker that will be shag af....
Im pretty sure the amp is just a pass through when its turned off. You need a dac with variable volume control.

Fawzay

So with my current d50 which has volume control, if set the volume to 0db, will be very loud?

Last edited:

ninetylol

So with my current d50 which has volume control, if set the volume to 0db, will be bery loud?
Yes you would need to lower that i.e. put speakers to. maximum volume youd ever need and then adjust via dac.

mid_fi_Senpai

Can confirm. The A50 is line out only. As soon as you turn it on it cuts all signal to the outputs. Volume control on the front has no effect. I have a D50s connected to it that I can control volume with.

renoxd

What about op amps? Do they affect the sound when the device is turned off when the signal goes as a line out?

//edit

I got answer from Topping technical support. Op amps doesn't affect RCA outputs

Last edited:

Unappreciated

Just got mine yesterday, this is my first desktop amp, was surprised on how better my hd650 sounds, it was very clean and more open and lively, but i was coming from a fiio A3 so it was expected. Really happy on this purchase.
How much can I improve the sound if get d50s because im just running the amp through my laptop.

Cheers!

bigx5murf

Just got mine yesterday, this is my first desktop amp, was surprised on how better my hd650 sounds, it was very clean and more open and lively, but i was coming from a fiio A3 so it was expected. Really happy on this purchase.
How much can I improve the sound if get d50s because im just running the amp through my laptop.

Cheers!

Likely depends on the recording quality of what you mostly listen to. Probably no improvement of all you're listening to is Pandora for example.

Unappreciated

Likely depends on the recording quality of what you mostly listen to. Probably no improvement of all you're listening to is Pandora for example.
I got a few FLAC albums. Maybe im just playing with more volume than before or its all placebo, all in all the product looks good and pretty well built.

ninetylol

Im still waiting for the Topping A50 to be available in europe. If Topping doesnt want to sell it in europe by the end of the month I will get something else :/

Veri

Master Contributor
Im still waiting for the Topping A50 to be available in europe. If Topping doesnt want to sell it in europe by the end of the month I will get something else :/
Maybe mail audiophonics. They can probably order it for you right away.

ninetylol

I wrote with Shenzhen Audio mid december and they said its gonna be available within 30 days in europe. I dont want to order from. China for vat and warranty reasons.

Audiophonics got that status for weeks now.

escalibur

Top Bottom