• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

D

Deleted member 12179

Thanks everyone for the information, I´m also interested on this amp. JDS Atom measures very good, but it's plastic, volume knob is not perfect with L/R un-precision. Also I like a lot the direct output, much better than preamp and volume control. JDS atom volume control is not precise, and apparently gain in the atom also would affect speaker volume: WTF! I really like this topping A50 way, otherwise I was thinking on getting a switch. I'm using a Khadas tone board dac. I already have volume control on iTunes (and itunes remote on the phone), on the operating system of my macbook, I don't need a third volume knob, it actually makes things way more complicated. Already one more volume knob at the active studio monitor; much better this topping A50 way for me, for sure.

If it measures decently well, I think the price is very competitive with the Atom, considering this one is aluminium, better built than the atom and the magni, all controls on the front, digital volume knob, 3x jack types, white led... And available in Europe for just 140€+shipping+taxes... JDS atom from UK costs almost this amount, Magni 3 from Schitt europe, it's just 20-30€ less, with switches on the back... If this one measures good, could be the new budget amp winner, for europe at least, in my humble opinion.

A few questions for people who already got it:

- If the volume is digital: it goes back to minimum volume or a set value after on off, or it remembers the volume? maybe the volume knob is digital but not so much the actual volume knob?
- How do you change the gain? I see no switch. Power button long press maybe? double press maybe?
- How is the power button? an actual button or it's tactile like in the latest JDS EL?
- Can you really tell a difference in a blind test if using that linear power supply thing? how good seems the included power supply?
- What about those interchangeable op-amp chips?? I'm really curious about them, never heard of this option (I'm pretty much a newbie in this field).

All in all, it's a bit over my budget, but if it measures well, I will pull the trigger on one of these. Thanks a lot again!!

Unappreciated

Thanks everyone for the information, I´m also interested on this amp. JDS Atom measures very good, but it's plastic, volume knob is not perfect with L/R un-precision. Also I like a lot the direct output, much better than preamp and volume control. JDS atom volume control is not precise, and apparently gain in the atom also would affect speaker volume: WTF! I really like this topping A50 way, otherwise I was thinking on getting a switch. I'm using a Khadas tone board dac. I already have volume control on iTunes (and itunes remote on the phone), on the operating system of my macbook, I don't need a third volume knob, it actually makes things way more complicated. Already one more volume knob at the active studio monitor; much better this topping A50 way for me, for sure.

If it measures decently well, I think the price is very competitive with the Atom, considering this one is aluminium, better built than the atom and the magni, all controls on the front, digital volume knob, 3x jack types, white led... And available in Europe for just 140€+shipping+taxes... JDS atom from UK costs almost this amount, Magni 3 from Schitt europe, it's just 20-30€ less, with switches on the back... If this one measures good, could be the new budget amp winner, for europe at least, in my humble opinion.

A few questions for people who already got it:

- If the volume is digital: it goes back to minimum volume or a set value after on off, or it remembers the volume? maybe the volume knob is digital but not so much the actual volume knob?
- How do you change the gain? I see no switch. Power button long press maybe? double press maybe?
- How is the power button? an actual button or it's tactile like in the latest JDS EL?
- Can you really tell a difference in a blind test if using that linear power supply thing? how good seems the included power supply?
- What about those interchangeable op-amp chips?? I'm really curious about them, never heard of this option (I'm pretty much a newbie in this field).

All in all, it's a bit over my budget, but if it measures well, I will pull the trigger on one of these. Thanks a lot again!!

-it remembers the volume
-long press to power off, single press to change gain and power on
-it is a tactile button

i'm new to this hobby too, just got mine two weeks ago, loving this unit. I'm interested about how op-amps works too.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where did you see this amp for 140 Euros?

Shenzhen Audio promised me it should be available prime shipped by now multiple times. After about 4 more Mails last months they suddenly dont even know when its available. They said they check back for me and no answer since then. Maybe i should order from somewhere else.

ninetylol

Well now we just need some shops in europe to actually sell these. :/ im really sick of waiting several months for items to bevome available here.

Same thing with the Heresy Btw. The Shop just keeps adding weeks after weeks to the promised shipping date.

OP
L5730

L5730

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/sede...lanced-headphone-amplifier-black-p-14256.html
€169 inc. taxes + shipping (€140.83 ex. tax)

Looking like Topping A50 is £160 with bank fees etc. to UK.
JDS Atom varies between £110-120 (free shipping in UK).
Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy are £110 (+£9 shipping) in UK.

It may be possible to get a little cheaper from outside of the EU, or a lot cheaper if it's missed by customs (doubtful).

The volume control on the A50 is not implemented digital like in a DAC, it's more a rotary encoder controlling a chip via it's physical position.
There is clearly a mark on the volume knob on the A50, and if the volume was not remembered between power cycles, it'd be a right mess.
JRC1195 looks like an interesting little chip. 0.5dB stepped ladder resistors?
https://www.njr.com/semicon/products/NJW1195A.html

As for channel balance issues with a stereo analogue pot, well it seems that JDS are being honest and trying real hard to sort that. If it's working people aren't going to be complaining are they? It's equally true that if it works most people aren't going to be coming to a forum to say "yes, it works". A couple of members here have stated that the volume control is perfectly fine, 0.1dB imbalance over normal range - basically nothing.

DLS79

Forum Donor
As for channel balance issues with a stereo analogue pot, well it seems that JDS are being honest and trying real hard to sort that. If it's working people aren't going to be complaining are they? It's equally true that if it works most people aren't going to be coming to a forum to say "yes, it works". A couple of members here have stated that the volume control is perfectly fine, 0.1dB imbalance over normal range - basically nothing.

Wasn't this only an early production run issue, that's has been fixed for a while now? My atom had no issues when i purchased it a few months back.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also I like a lot the direct output, much better than preamp and volume control. JDS atom volume control is not precise, and apparently gain in the atom also would affect speaker volume: WTF!

The pre-amp out on the Atom works well and I get to use the same volume control for both headphones and my active monitors. The volume control is precise and I have no issues with channel imbalance at normal listening levels.

The box is plastic and it does move around when plugging and unplugging headphones. I have replaced the volume knob with an aluminium one and blu-tacked the Atom to the side of my D50s which has solved the moving around issue.

OP
L5730

L5730

Wasn't this only an early production run issue, that's has been fixed for a while now? My atom had no issues when i purchased it a few months back.
Certainly it seems like it has been solved, in so far as (1) no one is complaining (2) only newer models must be around as the Atom sells fast!

I ordered my Atom after emailing JDS about the channel imbalance issue, to which they said it's been improved. I can say that other than the lowest volumes (which I don't use), the channel balance is superb. I've recorded a loopback of a 1Khz tone and it's right on the money, only off by 0.1dB in some spots. Pretty happy with that.
It's unlikely the forums will be littered with posts like this, from someone checking and confirming there is no real issue.

I was making the point about a pot in general and trying to point out that the imbalance issue is much less of an issue than it may seem.
However, those two Schiit amps tested recently didn't show spectacular and consistent balance, did they? Both Magni 3+ and Heresy use the same volume pot as far as I am aware.

index.php

Anything past 0.2 dB is too much IMO. This sample unit showed 0.5 dB in the middle of the range!

index.php

Better, but I can't help but think someone should have offset the channels a little to get the balance more in the middle - at the expensive of the maximum position having a slight imbalance.

Blur

Forum Donor
Ordered one. Here's hoping it sounds good with those cans, or at least better than the Magni 3. Thx.
Better than the Magni 3? The Mangi 3 is already a great sounding amp. If you level match and do a quick A/B I will be surprised if you hear any difference at all. It will be more about power and noise on the volume pot more than anything. Objectively there may be differences, but there is a good chance they will be inaudible.

D

Deleted member 12179

Yes, of course, the Atom volume unbalance thing was something extremely minor, it's the best amp for the price at the moment, there is like a general consensus. They must have sold a lot of them, rarely ever you read anyone complaining about it.

Now, thing is, we are splitting hairs here. And splitting hair, is splitting hair, no? certainly not digital knob in the topping, it has a mark indeed, and it is not motorised either obviously. Thing is, there are cheaper amps out there too, and I would notice little or no difference as I have pretty much zero experience with these things. If the A50 sounds well after the experts test it, equal to the Atom in a way, I would happily pay the extra cost for the build quality and options. Seems to fit my needs better. In any case, this is just guessing of course, not easy to match jds atom results, not at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no shortage of excellent and affordable headphone amplifiers these days. JDS Atom, Geshelli, Schiit Magni Heresy and the venerable O2 is still an excellent product. And that is before considering less available stuff which you can still buy like the VMV VA2. An embarrassment of riches for people wanting good amps on a budget.

will.b

Forum Donor
First post.

I received the A50 between Xmas and New year so have had a reasonable time with it. Bought it from Shenzhenaudio. It was dispatched from Singapore to get to me in Hong Kong according to the tracking - was expecting China.

Mainly ordered it for the occasional headphone listening at my desk and I wanted to complete this range of Topping devices:

Setup 1: (Dell) XPS 9560 -> USB + (iFi) iDefender3.0 -> (Topping) D50s+A50+P50 -> (IK Multimedia) iLoud MTM + (Sennheiser) 660S balanced

Sound wise I think it’s OK and drives the 660S reasonably well.

The A50 in comparison to my other setups using the 660S:
Not as much power as the SMSL SP2000 or Darkvoice 336SE.
Clearer sounding than the Darkvoice which is a bit muddy in comparison (using the original tubes).

I have the A50 on max gain and max volume using D50s for volume control - this matches the volume level with the way my monitors are setup i.e. no loud surprises when switching.

The issue I have with it or this setup, is the laptop USB noise that is introduced when the A50 is switched on. I can hear a very low clicking on the headphones (with no music playing) and some PC noise from the monitors when I listen up close on them (when I move the mouse or scroll the browser etc).

I added the iDefender to the USB and it removed a lot of this noise, but it’s still there just a lot lower. Moved the stack away from under the monitor reduced it as well but it’s still there ☹.

I don’t think it’s the A50 as I did try another headphone amp previously in there (336SE) and that had a similar issue with the monitors.

It does seem a bit strange though as when it’s off the noise completely disappears i.e. no noise on the monitors, like when the monitors are directly connected to the D50s.

Not sure what else to try although I’m thinking of getting an Intona isolator, but it does seem a bit over the top ($369).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the ASR A50 review as well.

ninetylol

First post.

I received the A50 between Xmas and New year so have had a reasonable time with it. Bought it from Shenzhenaudio. It was dispatched from Singapore to get to me in Hong Kong according to the tracking - was expecting China.

Mainly ordered it for the occasional headphone listening at my desk and I wanted to complete this range of Topping devices:

Setup 1: (Dell) XPS 9560 -> USB + (iFi) iDefender3.0 -> (Topping) D50s+A50+P50 -> (IK Multimedia) iLoud MTM + (Sennheiser) 660S balanced

Sound wise I think it’s OK and drives the 660S reasonably well.

The A50 in comparison to my other setups using the 660S:
Not as much power as the SMSL SP2000 or Darkvoice 336SE.
Clearer sounding than the Darkvoice which is a bit muddy in comparison (using the original tubes).

I have the A50 on max gain and max volume using D50s for volume control - this matches the volume level with the way my monitors are setup i.e. no loud surprises when switching.

The issue I have with it or this setup, is the laptop USB noise that is introduced when the A50 is switched on. I can hear a very low clicking on the headphones (with no music playing) and some PC noise from the monitors when I listen up close on them (when I move the mouse or scroll the browser etc).

I added the iDefender to the USB and it removed a lot of this noise, but it’s still there just a lot lower. Moved the stack away from under the monitor reduced it as well but it’s still there ☹.

I don’t think it’s the A50 as I did try another headphone amp previously in there (336SE) and that had a similar issue with the monitors.

It does seem a bit strange though as when it’s off the noise completely disappears i.e. no noise on the monitors, like when the monitors are directly connected to the D50s.

Not sure what else to try although I’m thinking of getting an Intona isolator, but it does seem a bit over the top ($369).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the ASR A50 review as well.
Use optical

will.b

Forum Donor
Top Bottom