• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
still no reviews about this amp??
I really dont know why either. Maybe Topping fuxked up its marketing witht this amp. Also still not available anywhere but from China. Its even gone from amazon (shipped from China) for good since today.

bboris77

I really dont know why either. Maybe Topping fuxked up its marketing witht this amp. Also still not available anywhere but from China. Its even gone from amazon (shipped from China) for good since today.
It’s been available in Canada via amazon for a few weeks. I am interested to see how it measures compared to a stack of awesome cheap amplifiers that have come out within the last year. I did notice that the output impedance is a bit high. I am also not sure at all about the need for a 2.5mm balanced out.

mid_fi_Senpai

It’s really weird. This thing is a ghost online. Almost like it never existed. If you Google Topping A50 review, this chat is the number one site. The closest thing I have come across is a picture of the A50 and P50 on Zeos Instagram.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can someone show the electrical safety markings on the AC-DC power adapter?

Just want to see if can be used in Australia.

And also, does it come with international wall plug adapters?

mid_fi_Senpai

Pics of A50 wall adapter. Mine only came with US prongs, but its a twist on design. Probably depends on what your destination address is.

Attachments

• 2DF34999-F172-4C97-9BCA-4EBC1EFCE30B.jpeg
    2DF34999-F172-4C97-9BCA-4EBC1EFCE30B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 326
  • C924E805-6555-4DF0-9D54-D54267BA93E7.jpeg
    C924E805-6555-4DF0-9D54-D54267BA93E7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 230

mid_fi_Senpai

Also P50. It has a 115/240v switch on the side.

Attachments

• 38E37BAB-FC80-4EFF-B152-272F850E1DF7.jpeg
    38E37BAB-FC80-4EFF-B152-272F850E1DF7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
  • CE3A4366-CFAF-40D8-BD80-28C52DACCFF2.jpeg
    CE3A4366-CFAF-40D8-BD80-28C52DACCFF2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156

mid_fi_Senpai

One last one of the entire rear of the D50s/A50/P50 stack.

Attachments

• 18C0E6C8-032A-4D64-8453-BAB0108E7C6B.jpeg
    18C0E6C8-032A-4D64-8453-BAB0108E7C6B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 370

ninetylol

Lucky canadians. Available, prime shipped, and even discounted. While All of europe still never even seen one :/

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One last one of the entire rear of the D50s/A50/P50 stack.

So let me get this straight, that is a power supply, a D/A converter and a headphone stage in THREE separate boxes? Seriously?

Let's take it to another stupid level and have dual mono- you could have six boxes... :facepalm:

ninetylol

So let me get this straight, that is a power supply, a D/A converter and a headphone stage in THREE separate boxes? Seriously?

Let's take it to another stupid level and have dual mono- you could have six boxes... :facepalm:
Because all in ones are always better, like integrated TV speakers for example.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

You're missing the point, @restorer-john. This way three different products are sold :p
(I'm fine with separate dac/amp, just wouldn't buy the power supply myself)

saturnaal

Performance and functionality for all three devices together is comparable to all-in-ones at a similar price point. I don't see how more options is worse, or 'stupid'.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Performance and functionality for all three devices together is comparable to all-in-ones at a similar price point. I don't see how more options is worse, or 'stupid'.

I'm sorry, I just find these dinky little boxes hilarious.

I've got vintage integrated amplifiers here with onboard D/A converters, phono stages both MM and MC, tone controls, passive volume controls, headphone stages, speaker switching, multiple inputs, pre/power loops etc.

The "modern, break each thing into a little box and sell it for a ton of money" would mean the example I'm looking at right now, would become 9 (nine!) separate boxes, with massively limited capabilities.

Whatever floats you boat I guess, these makers of let's face it, grossly overpriced, single task boxes are laughing at you all. The latest being external power supplies instead of the sea of wall warts on your powerboards... :facepalm:

Anyway, let's see some actual testing of the power supply. 5V x3@1A. Load it down and let's see the regulation, ripple and noise. Let's see how much better that is (or not) than a 7805 2" away on the PCB to performance...

Last edited:

ninetylol

I'm sorry, I just find these dinky little boxes hilarious.

I've got vintage integrated amplifiers here with onboard D/A converters, phono stages both MM and MC, tone controls, passive volume controls, headphone stages, speaker switching, multiple inputs, pre/power loops etc.

The "modern, break each thing into a little box and sell it for a ton of money" would mean the example I'm looking at right now, would become 9 (nine!) separate boxes, with massively limited capabilities.

Whatever floats you boat I guess, these makers of let's face it, grossly overpriced, single task boxes are laughing at you all. The latest being external power supplies instead of the sea of wall warts on your powerboards... :facepalm:

Anyway, let's see some actual testing of the power supply. 5V x3@1A. Load it down and let's see the regulation, ripple and noise. Let's see how much better that is (or not) than a 7805 2" away on the PCB to performance...
You dont have to use the Power supply its optional. For ripple and noise See Youtube, its actually comparable to a power bank (=very very good)

More empty arguments mate?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For ripple and noise See Youtube, its actually comparable to a power bank (=very very good)

More empty arguments mate?

A power bank. Right.

You do know what's inside a "power bank" don't you? Lithium Ion cells and a noisy, cheap little buck converter to provide 5V. They are pretty nasty little supplies as they are only meant to be an emergency charger for your phone. Go look at the noise on your scope and lack of regulation on a typical power bank and compare it to even a bog standard 7805 derived supply and report back with your findings.

And citing a Youtube video as a source? Come on.

Top Bottom