• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ArturoKiwi

As I already wrote, the strange thing about the x16's chip is that after more than 3 months, no other brand is out with their own ES 9068AS unit.
The Amirm measures seems perfect

Veri

Master Contributor
As I understand it, these unit need ASIO drivers to work in windows.
I think I saw somewhere that the units use generic drivers and they are not simple to install.
On Windows 10, OSX, Linux, the general purpose UAC 2.0 driver works plug-and-play.
Driver is only necessary if you are on windows 7/8, and/or need ASIO support.

fabriciom

On Windows 10, OSX, Linux, the general purpose UAC 2.0 driver works plug-and-play.
Driver is only necessary if you are on windows 7/8, and/or need ASIO support.

Does windows 10 and audio production software need drivers? Say studio one or reaper?

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor

boblinds

If MQA approval is holding up the release, I'd be pretty cheesed off if I were a Gustard exec. But I'm merely a consumer who pre-ordered this long ago, so I'm just plain old p*ssed off. :) Happy New Year everyone!!!

A Surfer

Major Contributor
On the USB cable page:
"The sound performance is characterized by a marked improvement in the bass range, which acquires depth, and by a better separation in the mid-high range, which gives brightness and detail to voices. The greater control makes the listening more airy and fresh. Certainly the best result is obtained with lossless source files, but the general improvement is perceivable also in PCM". Err. PCM is lossless. Marketing dude dropped the ball

Sorry to say but this is utter nonsense, snake-oil pandering. Hate to say you probably wasted some good money.
No, they definitely wasted some good money, there is no doubt at all. I can't understand how people get taken in by these cable scams.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
As for the shipping, I will be shocked if this happens anytime before middle of January. Clearly the MQA listening team (eyes rolling) is off until January the 4th, most likely, and the message from Gustard clearly said the new year so not sure why people were interpreting this as anytime in December after Christmas? So let's assume that by January the 8th the green light from MQA is given, we are probably looking at a shipping date of January 11th-15th.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha sorry, I was just joking. Shenzhen Audio announced a shipping date "in december". I've ordered, I am waiting, but frankly speaking, this is the first time and the last time I order a product in a pre-order gambling.

Now I am waiting, I miss the product for Christmas, and I hope it will be send before the Chinese New Year.
Hello @renaudrenaud

I would be interested to know how much tax & vat you will have paid once you get it.
Merci !

dmac6419

Major Contributor
If MQA approval is holding up the release, I'd be pretty cheesed off if I were a Gustard exec. But I'm merely a consumer who pre-ordered this long ago, so I'm just plain old p*ssed off. :) Happy New Year everyone!!!
ESS is in the mix too, it'll be here before you know it.You sound like you're in pain.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
ESS is in the mix too, it'll be here before you know it.
How do you know that? Gustard clearly said the MQA approval team was off for the holidays, and maybe even with the lockdown due to the pandemic testing might be further delayed. Mid to late January at the earliest I will bet. Maybe even first week of February.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@gustard are drivers already available for download? Perhaps ShenzhenAudio support has them for download somewhere?
Edit: @fabriciom they are available here for Windows, just search gustard and it'll be at the top of the results.
https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all
Most Gustard's USB drivers are common to their dac's
See their now working (& well made) web site http://www.gustard.cn/?page_id=8956
You can dosnload the X16 manual too, in Chinese, but the pics show the adequate USB driver.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
How do you know that? Gustard clearly said the MQA approval team was off for the holidays, and maybe even with the lockdown due to the pandemic testing might be further delayed. Mid to late January at the earliest I will bet. Maybe even first week of February.
Listen it'll be here,got word from MQA about the chip in this DAC, just relax and don't stress yourself out, when it comes treat it like you won the lottery and be surprised.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1609284768468.png

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Listen it'll be here,got word from MQA about the chip in this DAC, just relax and don't stress yourself out, when it comes treat it like you won the lottery and be surprised.
I'm not stressed out, I have a DAC in place now that is audibly transparent anyway so when I use the X16 I am not going to hear any difference anyway. Ultimately I went with the X16 as it is SOTA and will be audibly transparent, but really it was that it came in silver to better match my integrated amp. I still think we are talking about a mid January shipping window, but this is one time I would love to be wrong!

Top Bottom