• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
RCA direct to Parasound A21. Parasound A21 to Paradigm Persona B. In a big room (5000+ cubic ft), sitting about 10 ft away from speakers.
My voltage measurements in post #1277 confirms my observations were not just "imagination" like many here like to say.
Still, not even a 3% difference at the extremes right?

gofry

RCA direct to Parasound A21. Parasound A21 to Paradigm Persona B. In a big room (5000+ cubic ft), sitting about 10 ft away from speakers.

My voltage measurements in post #1277 confirms my observations were not just "imagination" like many here like to say.
Other than the top-end , how does it sound? Separation, tonality, etc? If my memory is correct the A18 was already a more linear sounding dac, with less top end extension so I'm not surprised about that.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Still, not even a 3% difference at the extremes right?
No idea....As mentioned, my multi meter is not the correct one for accurately measuring small voltages. The measured voltages should not show so much downward slope if using correct voltage meter. Mine just shows a trend.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Other than the top-end , how does it sound? Separation, tonality, etc? If my memory is correct the A18 was already a more linear sounding dac, with less top end extension so I'm not surprised about that.
It is still nice. I still get large 3D kind of sound stage with nice separations, etc. But I still miss that E30 extra sparkles...E30 extra sparkles are very enjoyable in my room with my stereo setup.

bkrmar

Try some other cables, silver or silver plate IC and speaker cable. I am suppried as I was under impression that E30 would be inferior in all aspects. You mention 3D soundstage. Compared to E30, E30 should be more flat /2Dlike?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Try some other cables, silver or silver plate IC and speaker cable. I am suppried as I was under impression that E30 would be inferior in all aspects. You mention 3D soundstage. Compared to E30, E30 should be more flat /2Dlike?
The 3D I mentioned is more like electronica music kind of artificial 3D, not real acoustic music kind of 3D. In that regard, E30 can also do artificial 3D stage.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@gustard , when have a choice to use either coaxial or toslink, which is the best? Or it doesn't matter? Thanks!

gustard

Audio Company
So I re wired my XLR's to float pin 3 and it's even worse at switch on, my woofer would not stand for me forgetting to switch things on in sequence for very long, it looked like it was going to extend out of the enclosure even though the voltage was reduced to .2v . I tested it on my bluetooth speaker and there was a very light crack at turn on and music plays fine so no apparent problem, just an annoying routine if I want to use it direct to my amps.

How do you connect? It is recommended to connect xlr 1 to the rca shell, 2 to the rca center, and 3 to the rca shell.

Attachments

• XLR to RCA.png
    XLR to RCA.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 921

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Coaxial is better than optical, for reference only
I have been using optical only so far and found that it is not as satisfying as using optical on E30. I will try coaxial tomorrow. Thanks!

ABall

Forum Donor
How do you connect? It is recommended to connect xlr 1 to the rca shell, 2 to the rca center, and 3 to the rca shell.
No because in your previous post you said float pin 3, now it should be basically shorted to ground via the return path, as I originally had my XLRs terminated.

gustard

Audio Company
This may be caused by poor language communication, please follow the 1290# accessory icon to connect.

ABall

Forum Donor
I bought my X16 on @SHENZHENAUDIO november 26, and the unit is not ship. Very long time to wait .........
Have you contacted them? Purchased mine on 11 November and received it last Monday 25th January, seems you have about another week to wait going on my dates but send them an email. To be fair we got a great deal if you got it at the discounted price and then another $40 dollars refund as I did.

ABall

Forum Donor
This may be caused by poor language communication, please follow the 1290# accessory icon to connect.
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more,
Depends on.
From the manual:
View attachment 109591
To be fair it doesn't matter which format is selected, neither accounts for telling me in one post "3 No connection (open circuit)" then in another to connect pin 3 to RCA shell aka ground then blaming a language communication problem. The 2 ways they have told me to do it are contradictory in any bloody language! Sorry just getting frustrated now. Im not going to bother with this any further. I am in two minds now, considering I saving for a preamp I might sell the x16 and get a Benchmark DAC3L along with an input switcher.

Top Bottom