• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

kopczas

You guys can debate all you want, but the reality is the X16 doesn’t have it, you have to get up to turn it on, and you will have to reach to the back to do it...

I`m just surpriced as it wasn`t cleared at preorder.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
And so? Why you don't buy it?
I have E30. I also have KTB. I got E30 after I got the KTB just for the remote. I like having the remote to turn off the system while sitting over 10 ft away. I actually thought all DAC with remote would have such feature. My previous Emotiva remote did that. My E30 does that.....So this is a surprise for sure... I wonder how durable is the on/off switch at the back of x16....

Frio

And so? Why you don't buy it?
I did and also a x16 it was just the argument that you have to buy more expensive dacs to get that feature. I can live with the point of lifetime made by gustard but the money argument is nonsense

hamanas

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys. Can please someone explain to me if X16 is ok as a "dac-direct-to-poweramp" ?

I want to regulate the volume of the music mostly with X16 connected to https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html

What are these settings -> https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/blog...-bypass-on-purifi-amplifier-module-ampli.html and how to understand them as a noob :)

Tnx a lot. I am really new, reading a lot, but there is a lot of vague things for me. :)

Easy answer: start from the lowest volume on the DAC and work your way up to your typical listening levels. it should be fine..

Complicated answer: Follow the guide below and use the values of your own amplifier.

I'm surprised by the amount of bullshit the other members has spewed after my reply.

Anyway every Amp (without a pre-amp) requires a certain amount of input voltage to reach maximum capacity.

The Gustard X16 outputs 4.16 Vrms via XLR outputs, and 3.3 Vrms via RCA outputs (At max volume or 0 dB).

Now every Amp has an input sensitivity, and if you provide more voltage than that input sensitivity the amplifier will clip, here is a handy equation to use (Pic from Hypex NC122MP amplifier)

View attachment 106829

So in this example, anything above 1.17 Vrms on balanced inputs (XLR) will clip the amplifier, 1.17 will provide the full 125W at 4 ohm, and anything below will be 'just fine'.

so when will the amp clip if its input sensitivity is at 1.17 Vrms? That would be 20log(1.17/4.16) = -11 dB

Anything above that will clip that specific Amplifier.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
You guys can debate all you want, but the reality is the X16 doesn’t have it, you have to get up to turn it on, and you will have to reach to the back to do it...

If you don't like the design, no one is putting a gun to your head to buy it.

The product was designed, manufactured, certified and is shipping. You are late for the feature requests .
I have the X16 and H16 hooked up to a smart powerstrip , matter of fact I have all my equipment hooked up that way.

gustard

Audio Company
So it is or powered up all the time or off with physical switch? No standby mode that relies on input signal?
Weird decision, it`s major inconvenience.

X16 close the physical switch

linger63

4499 is current at 96$ in digikey. The more you order the cheaper it goes but still it`s a lot. 80$ each with minimum 270 order. Even when taken from manufacturer it`s still not peanuts price ;)
9068 last time (in november) was available in mouser , the cost was 7-8$ per piece.

1. Maybe the 4499EQ price went up due to the recent AKM Factory fire affecting supply.
2. Maybe the 9068AS price has gone up significantly since Nov last year.

3. Either way these guys don't seem too concerned about any potential significant price variances between them.....

https://www.techradar.com/news/astell-and-kern-just-released-the-maserati-of-mp3-players

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Easy answer: start from the lowest volume on the DAC and work your way up to your typical listening levels. it should be fine..

Complicated answer: Follow the guide below and use the values of your own amplifier.
My understanding is that a DAC works best within a output level range (SNR etc.). Unfortunately Amir did not publish the sweep for X16. You can see Topping D70s' graph (a sweep to see how the performance varies with output level). Usually it's near the max output level. In your case, 1.17Vrms is no where near the optimal output. Bottom line is that using DAC's volume control works but not optimal.

Last edited:

kopczas

1. Maybe the 4499EQ price went up due to the recent AKM Factory fire affecting supply.

Yes, but as I recall akm4497 was 50$ in November 2019 when I bought one for my dac project. During this time the price was already higher for 4499 for good 15-20$ so still, it (was) is expensive chip.

2. Maybe the 9068AS price has gone up significantly since Nov last year.

It doesn`t matter cause price for x16 it`s the same since first day after release in November.

3. Either way these guys don't seem too concerned about any potential significant price variances between them.....

Every manufacturer is concerned about costs.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that a DAC works best within a output level range (SNR etc.). Unfortunately Amir did not publish the sweep for X16. You can ee Topping D70s' graph (a sweep to see how the performance varies with output level). Usually it's near the max output level. In your case, 1.17Vrms is no where near the optimal output. Bottom line is that using DAC's volume control works but not optimal.

Amir did publish the 'sweep' performance you mentioned, and -10dB looks like 105 to 110 SINAD. that's pretty good.

1611764399613.png

Anyway it depends on the Amplifier, it's not always -10 dB like i explained.

jsm

yep, me too, I find it clearer, maybe there is a protocole to standardized when there is a volume setup capability for the DAC tested.

edit: in fact when I look on the D70 measurement, there is no graphical relation between the intermodulation distortion data and the Sinad vs measured lvl. I don't get it :/

Last edited:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
yep, me too, I find it clearer, maybe there is a protocole to standardized when there is a volume setup capability for the DAC tested.

edit: in fact when I look on the D70 measurement, there is no graphical relation between the intermodulation distortion data and the Sinad vs measured lvl. I don't get it :/
D70 is different from D70s. There are two reviews. DAC direct to power amps may be rare use cases. That's why people don't care.

jsm

D70 is different from D70s. There are two reviews. DAC direct to power amps may be rare use cases. That's why people don't care.
my bad, but still, with the voltage measurement there is 10db of variation between min and max, on the intermodulation distortion there is much much delta. Is there a post to link this graph to the output voltage quality?
I think that more and more people will go with a DAC directly to power amp, on a full digital system, why using pre? And there is no need to use a jack with BT to "occasional friend share". In fact if we follow the credo "reduce the hardware chain for a better sound", it is a (theorically) wised choice no?

Last edited:

catbb67

Interesting, I get OFS when I turn off MQA decoding. So this means that the Gustard X16 can only do the second unfold right? I guess if it doesnt affect the sound quality its not bad right? The 44 seems a bit low for the master tracks but maybe it was just the ones I chose for this small test. Ill try coax as well.

View attachment 108535View attachment 108536
Really dig those knurled feet.

ABall

Forum Donor
Could someone from Gustard please tell me what sort of DC offset I should expect at the output of the X16 during power off because I cannot use it direct with my amps, I get a MASSIVE shutdown thump that is very alarming for me and my woofers. I have measured the DC at the single ended outputs and it ranges from 300-900mv during a power down, one switch off managed just over 1v! Maybe this is ok with 99% of the amplifiers out there but my monoblocks are DC coupled, no capacitors on input or output but they have a DC servo. Im not looking for a work around here, I know how to work around it which for my wife isnt going to work, I just want confirmation that the unit is not faulty?
Alan

Last edited:

ABall

Forum Donor
What are these settings -> https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/blog...-bypass-on-purifi-amplifier-module-ampli.html and how to understand them as a noob :)

Tnx a lot. I am really new, reading a lot, but there is a lot of vague things for me. :)

Basically use Config. 1 if you are using the balanced input, Config 2 if you are using single ended input and Config 3 if your source has an output of around 10v, you will have to look at the specs or just post on the forum with your equipment details. These figures tell you how much voltage is required at the purifi input to drive the amplifier to full power, not that you would ever want to do that but you also would not want to use Config 1 if you are using the single ended inputs and your source had a MAX output of 2v which is pretty standard because you may not be able to get your music loud enough, then again it may be plenty loud depending on the sensitivity of your speakers and you would be using the top end of the digital volume range which gives a higher SINAD if your into that sort of thing, I am.....

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I can see that.

For my part I wish they would show in large letters what you are actually changing with the remote (volume, input, settings) then revert to the composite display after a few seconds of idle. I use the A18 in our living room, directly into a power amp, and it's inconvenient having to get up all the time to see what I am changing.

But no (or few) devices are perfect in every way, and sound quality is awesome on the A18. I am sure it is on X16 as well. I agree it's great value!

+1 +1 and more

The utterly small volume display is really bugging me.
Would be great if the
volume would be displayed in all the
window's height during it's change at least.

Top Bottom