• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great music - but recording unfortunately is "meh"...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but if you don't then you're listening to the wrong band ;)
Or the original band....didn't care for them much after Perry came on board (altho they were good customers).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I like it! It's pretty hard to improve a full mix without access to stems... the original was already pretty processed with the tools of the day. Filling in the bass is a huge improvement though, that was always the tragedy of this track... now fixed! Very cool work sir.

yea, it was already bad quality in the 70ies lol....and then I take it from a CD and try to fix it...impossible lol. A pro would never accept this task, and when/if I go pro I won't either hahaha (unless they know what to expect).

but lend me your ear for the very last time (I swear). What about this version? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r5FBoJb70lQPeYPjDx6GM5CS2E-_IdpL/view?usp=sharing

Multicore

Major Contributor
My example fits the title of your topic but isn't an album and isn't a problem of mastering. It's simply a low quality recording of a superb performance.

The etudes of Leo Brouwer have had a big impact on contemporary solo guitar and I play both of these. While learning I listened to many recordings and YouTubes and this is the best. It's so frustrating to see that mic in front of the guitar but to have only this crummy audience cell phone recording. All the same, it's still the best. Tempo, rubato and phrasing in Omaggio a Szymanovsky are wonderful. He does things to the Omaggio a Stravinsky that are unusual and stunning.

Note how he swings the first 3 bars and even more so when it repeats, and the palm mute right before the ending, and at bar 11 he throws in a gratuitous repeat of half a bar stretching it to a 6/4. His CD recording of the same work is almost boring by comparison.

These aren't technically the hardest etudes for guitar but in the published book Brouwer wrote "This collection is for beginners or children." I'm not sure what to make of that.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yea, it was already bad quality in the 70ies lol....and then I take it from a CD and try to fix it...impossible lol. A pro would never accept this task, and when/if I go pro I won't either hahaha (unless they know what to expect).

but lend me your ear for the very last time (I swear). What about this version? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r5FBoJb70lQPeYPjDx6GM5CS2E-_IdpL/view?usp=sharing
I just moved so my good headphones are packed away, will be a few days before the setup is back... ping me next week if you remember. :D

MRC01

Major Contributor
Or the original band....didn't care for them much after Perry came on board (altho they were good customers).
I like the instrumentals on Journey's first album: Of a Lifetime, Kohoutek, Topaz. But the rest sounds like filler to me. The next 2 albums had more of the shorter more pop-influenced songs, which went in the wrong direction for me. In those albums they sound like a band that walked away from what was most interesting about their first album, yet couldn't find their identity. Then Steve Perry came along and they found that identity. They doubled down on pop-influenced music which I normally would not like. But they did it so well, and Perry had such a whale of a voice, I thought it actually worked.

Then again Infinity was such a part of my growing up as a kid and teen, it's so tied with great memories and experiences, I can't separate it from that and give it a meaningful musical assessment.

Top Bottom