• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR-Research "Little Giant Killer 2.0"

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Well -- I mean -- R/S did sell various versions of Fostex's FE-103 for decades.
I... umm... uhh... I might have a pair or two here someplace. In reserve, you know. Just a pair or two... or eight (pair)... or so... maybe a few more ... umm... plus a pair of R/S "Solo 103" loudspeakers...

View attachment 198819

View attachment 198820

source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1967_radioshack_catalog.html

ahem

View attachment 198822

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Electronics-Illustrated/Electronics-Illustrated-1965-11.pdf

(yeah, yeah... I know... I need a hobby, or somethin'...)
Just think of the billions saved if CERN had only read this old magazine. Tells them how to build a particle accelerator way back then. The things we waste money on, I say close all the particle accelerators down until they can justify themselves versus this article!

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just think of the billions saved if CERN had only read this old magazine. Tells them how to build a particle accelerator way back then. The things we waste money on, I say close all the particle accelerators down until they can justify themselves versus this article!
1649599744809.jpeg

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Much easier to be a keyboard warrior jack wagon, isn't it?
Suggest you dial way back this type of insulting and inflammatory language. Demonstrate civility and respect for other members or don’t post.

Thank you for your understanding and compliance.

77SunsetStrip

Suggest you dial way back this type of insulting and inflammatory language. Demonstrate civility and respect for other members or don’t post.

Thank you for your understanding and compliance.

How about applying that standard across the board? Inflammatory terms like 'snake oil", BS, Charlatan, or other mudslinging from the ASR faithful is acceptable I guess.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Repeating my point, both parties own some responsibility for the outcome.

While I agree with that sentiment generally, the both-sider-ism is out of place.

Here, people who should have known better (and likely did) made the mistake of extending the presumption of good faith to someone with a long track record of abusing that presumption, with the foreseeable outcome. IMO it’s preferable not to engage with such people. Talk about them if necessary, but direct engagement is rarely useful.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about applying that standard across the board? Inflammatory terms like 'snake oil", BS, Charlatan, or other mudslinging from the ASR faithful is acceptable I guess.
I understand your thinking when you use the term "ASR faithful," but that's an oxymoron. "ASR heretics" seems more accurate. Faithful indicates a leap of faith... not much of that in evidence here. Heretical indicates a lack of belief or faith, questioning every nail hole. I count myself as a zealous heretic in all matters of faith, veils, oils and liars. Is the term "Lies" acceptable and less inflammatory? What do you call it, without sugar coating those things proven false? (No, I'm not going to take that next step...)

Abe_W

84 dB sensitivity!?! :(

It is meant to be a desktop speaker for a nearfield application. 84db sensitivity is just fine. You could go deaf before you run out of power.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I agree with that sentiment generally, the both-sider-ism is out of place.

Here, people who should have known better (and likely did) made the mistake of extending the presumption of good faith to someone with a long track record of abusing that presumption, with the foreseeable outcome. IMO it’s preferable not to engage with such people. Talk about them if necessary, but direct engagement is rarely useful.
... Socrates, Cicero, Nero, Cesare Borgia, Savonarola, Edward Teach... Santayana (no, that's not Carlos... lol)... the lessons are there.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
It’s about your comments being directed personally at another member. The terms you mentioned above are used in a general sense and not directed at a specific ASR member. Another words you can attack someone’s statement of fact/opinion, but not the individual directly. I.e., Your statement is full of crap, versus You are full of crap. One is personal one not. But there is always a nice way to say your facts might need to be reassessed or your full of sh_t!

If I missed a post that you feel violates the above. Please go to that post and report it. You will find we are quite fair about this sense of civility.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Inflammatory terms like 'snake oil", BS, Charlatan, or other mudslinging from the ASR faithful is acceptable I guess.

Consider relaxing, my dude. It's just a hobby.
Check out this laughing dinosaur.
1619919321833.jpg

It is meant to be a desktop speaker for a nearfield application. 84db sensitivity is just fine. You could go deaf before you run out of power.
I think it would take a long time to go deaf at that rate :cool:
But agreed, 84 is fine.
I wonder how much of the speakers efficiency the filter eats.

Abe_W

Some more clarification from my records...
  1. Amir contracted me to build the GR X-LS Encore(s). After I ordered and built the first very basic one, we discussed using the more premium parts for the second one. As the build thread mentions, I had minimal contact with Danny except for requesting a missing capacitor for the crossover. Later he also wrote with clarification on the damping material and, after checking with Amir, he agreed to add.
  2. The basic unit got shipped, measured and Amir's review even recommended it (even without rounded edges, upgraded caps, tube connectors and No-Rez damping). I supplied Danny with a summary of suggested improvements to the speaker and he thanked me.
  3. Since building the more premium speaker was hundreds of dollars more, I approached Danny to supply a sample. He offered to supply a premium pair that he built. Danny agreed to do this in late July 2020 but by early August had reneged citing Amir's room inadequacies and mono listening. Although Amir conceded to listen to the stereo pair, Danny had made up his mind. Despite his reservations, he still agreed to help supply the upgrade parts for my premium build. I did them all except for tube connectors as the box already had a terminal cup installed. A few more rounds ensued as the crossover parts changed midstream, but the premium speaker was eventually completed and shipped to Amir.
At this stage, Danny had already admitted that the premium speaker would likely measure the same as the basic one. So, there was not expectation from either Amir or Danny of a different result and so the second review was shelved. Amir paid me in full and that was the extent of my involvement.

So despite some conjecture over lack of agreement from the start, the dialog was very cordial initially. Unfortunately, differences emerged along the way. Nobody is entirely impartial ofc, but I can prove all I have stated to date. All of the major points can be confirmed from 2020 postings here and on AudioCircle. :)
I remember this from another thread. You built that speaker in the shttiest possible way so you could try and prove to your cronies here that the speaker sucks. Carry on with your crap.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s about your comments being directed personally at another member. The terms you mentioned above are used in a general sense and not directed at a specific ASR member. Another words you can attack someone’s statement of fact/opinion, but not the individual directly. I.e., Your statement is full of crap, versus You are full of crap. One is personal one not. But there is always a nice way to say your facts might need to be reassessed or your full of sh_t!

If I missed a post that you feel violates the above. Please go to that post and report it. You will find we are quite fair about this sense of civility.

Here's a thread that I feel violates the above but was left up.

So much civility in wishing someone would be slapped lol. Reported it, was told to chill out? I think you guys have some strange interpretations of things sometimes.

No endorsement of sunstrips sillyness, but there's some hypocrisy in this sites moderation.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not according to Danny. He was grilling me on my 2-channel listening setup which he considered not acceptable to him. He also said in his video that he paired it with subs and it was amazing as such.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So much civility in wishing someone would be slapped lol. Reported it, was told to chill out? I think you guys have some strange interpretations of things sometimes.
No we don't. We tolerate more from members that contribute to the forum than individuals who are only here to complain. You can complain but just be sure that you stay on best behavior as your loss to the forum would not be something we shed a tear for.

We have had senior members here that stomped on our feet, called us every name and we literally tolerated for years before banning them.

This is basically real life social norm that we apply here.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No we don't. We tolerate more from members that contribute to the forum than individuals who are only here to complain. You can complain but just be sure that you stay on best behavior as your loss to the forum would not be something we shed a tear for.

We have had senior members here that stomped on our feet, called us every name and we literally tolerated for years before banning them.

This is basically real life social norm that we apply here.

You tolerate more from members that contribute? In what way, financially or discussion wise?

What do you consider a contribution? Money? Gear data? I won't give you any money ever, but I have provided data on speakers that previously had none. I consider that a contribution. Sorry I don't pay you.

I would agree social norms apply here, hypocrisy and all :)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You tolerate more from members that contribute? In what way, financially or discussion wise?
Discussion wise. Money makes no difference. Indeed members that donate get nothing extra over other members (although they can edit their posts longer). In other sites, donating members get early and exclusive access to content for example which we do NOT do here.

What do you consider a contribution?
Technical contribution to the topics at hand. They contribute to the substance and knowledge base of the membership so we tolerate a lot more of their bad bedside manner. Mind you, there are limits and if they go too far, we will discipline them include banning. And we do cringe when they step out of the line. It is simply the fact that we look at the value for the entire community in the context of the bad act.

I would agree social norms apply here, hypocrisy and all :)
There is no hypocrisy seeing how I am at the receiving end of such protests more than everybody else combined. There is not a review that members don't get upset over and complain. I get called every name from incompetent to biased -- just like you just did. Yet I don't take action. I focus on the more important things so I suggest you do the same.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do know. I've built a TON of speakers over the course of my life.
Building a single pair of DIY speakers, vs running an assembly line for building many speakers are totally different things and the cost components are vastly different as well.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes and no. He does measurement, if there is irregularity beyond his tolerance, he will modify it.
His measurements are gated so lack precision. And they are very limited in scope in general.

Top Bottom