• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR-Research "Little Giant Killer 2.0"

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you. Other audio forums seem to be able to maintain a higher standard of behavior. Interesting that this forum does not.

Other audio forums seem to be able to maintain a higher volume of audiophool nonsense in the guise of positivity and 'tolerance', mainly because it's good for business. Thankfully this forum does not.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Thank you. Other audio forums seem to be able to maintain a higher standard of behavior. Interesting that this forum does not.
If this bothers you so much, I wonder why then you keep coming here. It appears that a disconnect is present between your behavior and your words. I have engaged in faithful conversation with you and it is now clearly apparent, you just wish to continue to taunt and insult the Site. I now am certain that you are here with hostile intentions only. Take a few weeks off and reconsider why you are here.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If this bothers you so much, I wonder why then you keep coming here. It appears that a disconnect is present between your behavior and your words. I have engaged in faithful conversation with you and it is now clearly apparent, you just wish to continue to taunt and insult the Site. I now am certain that you are here with hostile intentions only. Take a few weeks off and reconsider why you are here.
"Take a few weeks off and reconsider why you are here." I've been pondering that for the last 50 years and can't say that I've moved the needle at all... no matter which avenue that I pursue, I keep butting up against Boltzman and Maxwell... entropy is a foregone conclusion and derails any progress past Descartes' "I think therefore I am"... which is no real progress as to why. If 77SunsetStrip comes up with an answer in just a couple of weeks... put him on the short list for the Nobel. (and IMHO let him be a moderator of this forum... otherwise... give him as much time off as he needs to answer the question of "Why"... subject to ASR peer review.)

1649685256987.jpeg

Pogre

If it is folklore, it is up to your break the $20 crossover than $230 grade components myth. Certainly you have deal with manufacturers that refused to flatted frequency just by crossover. JBL and Wilson Audio only allow you adjust little on their crossover in their flagship models only.

You have already review one of the kit from Danny. Why not break the myth you or someone can achieve better with much cheaper and flattening crossover? Even with miniDSP crossover.

All I have suggest are big topics and mythbusters.
I don't recall anyone saying a $20 crossover is better. Just that a $230 crossover isn't necessarily better and measurements bear that out. You have it backwards. It's not "prove me wrong". You need to prove you're right.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can also make a very successful (selling in huge numbers) speaker using 9 small full-range drivers and some active EQ.

Pogre

He is not obligated to send any for reviews.
Maybe not, but wouldn't it be a nice feather in his cap and a great selling point if his speakers pass measured muster?

The truth has nothing to fear (or lose) from inquiry.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Maybe not, but wouldn't it be a nice feather in his cap and a great selling point if his speakers pass measured muster?

The truth has nothing to fear (or lose) from inquiry.
He got nothing to hide. Just buy his finished speaker and send for reviews anytime anywhere. Just like my previous replies.

Pogre

He got nothing to hide. Just buy his finished speaker and send for reviews anytime anywhere. Just like my previous replies.
I don't want his speakers, and I have nothing to gain doing it. On the other hand I'd think if a guy is making truthful claims he would welcome inquiry and testing. A third party test backing all of his claims sure would shut a lot of people up wouldn't it?

Why don't YOU buy some finished speakers and send them to Amir? You're the one who seems convinced of the truth of the claims

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can also make a very successful (selling in huge numbers) speaker using 9 small full-range drivers and some active EQ.
1000 yard stare caused by Bose is a thing.

To that i say just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Behold, the Yamaha Sound Projector:
Yamaha_SYP5600_Bestueckung.jpg

kongwee

Major Contributor
I don't want his speakers, and I have nothing to gain doing it. On the other hand I'd think if a guy is making truthful claims he would welcome inquiry and testing. A third party test backing all of his claims sure would shut a lot of people up wouldn't it?

Why don't YOU buy some finished speakers and send them to Amir? You're the one who seems convinced of the truth of the claims
I never claim anything about his finished speaker. All my reply is about his mods, and he is not obligated to send his finished speaker for reviews.

Pogre

I never claim anything about his finished speaker. All my reply is about his mods, and he is not obligated to send his finished speaker for reviews.
I never said he was obligated, nor did I say you made a claim. Just that he would have much to gain by doing so. That goes for his mods too.

Much to gain if the claims are true that is... if untrue then I can understand why he's so hesitant...

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My standards are the same across all and multiple suppliers. Whether GR or Dayton or other suppliers - if you supply a kit without parts or complete specifications, you get the results as they were supplied. Despite being built to an incomplete supplier specification (EDIT), sometimes the speakers reviewed fairly well. You can whine all you like, but the results do not support and you offer no specific case to support your accusations.

In the GR case, the lack of complete specifications for the X-LS Encore was admitted to publicly on AudioCircle. When Danny clarified acceptable speaker damping, Amir and I complied (with full transparency of the change). My build standard is comparable to what Consumer Reports does when they test a product as supplied. The goal is to impartially test a product under consistent conditions. This is may not be how the supplier or others prefer, but is fair IMO, as this standard also makes sense for a science-based forum.

My speaker builds are done transparently and to scientific standards and are not targeted to please or displease ASR members period. If you have some constructive criticism, please offer it. Otherwise, you are wasting my time and others.
Rick you didn't leave out the famous "tube connectors" and the "No Rez" did you? Without those two, any speaker is almost reduced to junk. Even Amir's Revels have the life sucked out of them with out those two additions. (sarcasm)

kongwee

Major Contributor
I never said he was obligated, nor did I say you made a claim. Just that he would have much to gain by doing so. That goes for his mods too.

Much to gain if the claims are true that is... if untrue then I can understand why he's so hesitant...
I dig his past, he did send his speaker for review way way back.

At the bottom of his website, you can see how much reviews/award he bagged in the past. He just don't need reviews as an influencer now.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lmao.
I just looked that thing up.
46 built in Speakers.
All squeezed into a ~43.5x8.5x5” 26# cabinet.

And all I can think of is Bart saying ,”Ay caramba.”
Wave field synthesis -- possibly something we'll see more in the coming years.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gearspace, audio production forum. Your Genelec, RME are frequently mention.
You are quite wrong. I have been a member for 15 years there. Get in an argument and all kinds of insults are thrown at you. And worse.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kongwee

Major Contributor
You are quite wrong. I have been a member for 15 years there. Get in an argument and all kinds of insults are thrown at you. And worse.
I been there since 07 or 08, nobody insult me. The worst I encountered was around DAW. Protools monopoly, all those summing laws, who earn better. I still go there to find out what new. I don't subscribe to SoundonSound, so I visit there regularly.

Top Bottom