• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR-Research "Little Giant Killer 2.0"

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
*Pant-pant-fume..

:p:p
You wouldn't believe how often i feel the same.
In most cases i remember to turn away and say nothing, let someone else deal with it. In the few cases where i forget this, it ends bad for everyone involved, including me.

Problem here seems to be automatic translation of some sort.

Reactions: Zvu

Pogre

You wouldn't believe how often i feel the same.
In most cases i remember to turn away and say nothing, let someone else deal with it. In the few cases where i forget this, it ends bad for everyone involved, including me.

Problem here seems to be automatic translation of some sort.
I'm normally pretty level and measured. Sometimes tho, when it's rrriiiight there, hanging low... :p

billyjoebob

That's right, now i understand what you meant.
The filter also removes lower frequencies the tiny wideband driver can't reproduce anyway.

But this and fixing the frequency response could be done better with a MiniDSP.

Not really, no. Tiny wideband speakers can be fun as a first project, but they are very much limited in every metrik. High distortion, bad frequency response, bad dispersion, low max SPL.

Add the price for the filter. Add the case. You are now at several hundred bucks. The entire proposal is a bad deal, only one winner, which is Danny. Hence his aversion to DSP ;-).

Step back from the keyboard if it all gets a bit much. Simple as. But i feel your pain. ;)
I understand now......
I thought that you had bought these speakers and was enquiring about the crossovers.
THAT is what was not making sense.
Why trust them on the speaker and not the crossover.
My apologies!!

Pogre

I understand now......
I thought that you had bought these speakers and was enquiring about the crossovers.
THAT is what was not making sense.
Why trust them on the speaker and not the crossover.
My apologies!!
I may have misunderstood your line of questioning and jumped the gun a little bit... apologies.

It's not about the necessity of a filter altogether. It's about whether the unsubstantiated claims that replacing what's already there with some high dollar expensive filters offer any real, tangible improvements.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can I doubt what you did in Gearspace?
No because I have evidence of their atmosphere. You do not. You can start by reading this: https://ethanwiner.com/forums.htm

"Wait, it gets worse

Much worse. At Gearslutz someone posted a link to my AES Damn Lies video, which garnered many "thanks for posting that" comments. But then the (mostly anonymous) Ethan-haters chimed in with insults and accusations of fraud and ulterior motives. The worst of the comments were deleted, but these comments remain to this day:

I'll stop bitching about him [Ethan] when he starts sticking to what he actually knows and stops speading nonsense and misinformation about areas he doesn't belong in.

The Ethan's of this world who - and I'll say it out loud - in my humble opinion are nothing but a joke and if one thing, an absolute disgrace for the reputation of the word 'audio engineer' are apparently more and more setting the standard in places like these.

I am sorry, but this dude is a CRACKPOT. I knew he was a crackpot since the first day I ever navigated to gearslutz.
As is typical, they call me wrong, but are unable to explain why I'm wrong. So all that's left is insults."

I have a lot more than this. So I suggest you don't post about stuff you don't know (yet again).

DonR

Major Contributor
Just look for the ad hominem. It's the telltale sign.

GradyBeach247

1000 yard stare caused by Bose is a thing.

To that i say just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Behold, the Yamaha Sound Projector:
Yamaha_SYP5600_Bestueckung.jpg
Looks more like a missile battery

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Looks more like a missile battery
Looks like a Yamaha 5600 sound bar. That is one the most high end sound bars you can get with Dolby Atmos built in and a sub out connection. The sub out connections are getting fairly rare and that roasts my nuts. You can't buy a cheaper say $800 sound bar and add your own SVS 2000 Pro to it. Yamaha still has the connection but a pox on most other brands. Who wants a $1200 sound bar and a cheap $200 sub? Again, manufacturers are their own worst enemy. But this is off topic so I will stop now!

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a Yamaha 5600 sound bar.
It is the Yamaha YSP-5600, the YSP stands for Yamaha Sound Projector.

I listened to this one and the predecessor, friend of mine is a believer. It was fun, but not cinema fun. It's still just a soundbar.

Again, manufacturers are their own worst enemy.
Once the C-level execs listen only to the marketing dept and McKinsey, it's downhill.

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

Can anyone recommend some alternative small footprint speakers for desktop nearfield listening? Most of the active monitors recommended around here are fairly large for my small desk with a listening position just 24" away.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think small wideband speakers may have potential in the nearfield and with DSPing. You have to wonder why there are no comercial solutions like it.
Just add a tweeter and it works fine.:p

I think it's a damn shame tremendously well-engineered wideband drivers are ignored in the commercial market. Think Vifa TC9/TG9 and the Scanspeak 10F/8414 and 4424. These are drivers that have near dome tweeter levels of HF distortion and directivity with bandwidth down to 300-500Hz easy. You just lose a bit of dispersion up top and a touch more intermodulation. But I reckon the benefits in a 2-way are worth it. Frankly the LGK drivers have never convinced me in both guises. Danny doesn't have the data to back it with his next to useless smoothed data, and having an unnamed OEM driver gives him much more pricing power vs from a top, known OEM like Vifa/Tymphany, SEAS, Scanspeak or SB.

There are 2 niches for well-engineered widebanders that I hope companies will exploit more:

- The sub-$150 nearfield passive market - I believe people are better off getting one great 4" driver than a janky 2-way with a single cap crossover at 3kHz or something. The Dayton/Micca 2-way segment is purgatory.

- Highly dynamic 2-way speakers <$1,500. Imagine a really good widebander crossed at 300-500Hz to a 8-10" driver - if done well, it means a good directivity match horizontally, with less vertical lobing, great midbass dynamics vs the usual picture-perfect 6-inch standmounters at that price all at the cost of some top octave air and slightly more IMD. Almost nobody can do a good coax anyway. Only KEF, Genelec, Technics and TAD have cracked the code. And I think otherwise, coaxs are way more trouble than they are worth with the whole modulation of tweeter output issue and nulls in FR. Not to mention BOM cost and tolerances needed.

Other than DIY or PA speakers, the only guys who do larger format speakers for home audio I can think of are Tekton (and Zu but they stretch the definition of 'audio'). It's ironic that widebanders have all but faded from the market when they have finally become viable options.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
So i saw this video of Danny presenting his new "Little Gian Killer 2.0", a 3" wideband speaker box he developed:

The kit without case costs almost 280 US, so i thought to myself "Maybe you can just ignore the pricey filter parts and use a MiniDSP instead".

So i asked him:
View attachment 197567
He didn't like it.

So, do MiniDSPs really suck the life out of the music?
1655055090547.png

Ahemm....
1655055156588.png

images
85746891.jpg

Top Bottom