• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR-Research "Little Giant Killer 2.0"

Pogre

I dig his past, he did send his speaker for review way way back.

At the bottom of his website, you can see how much reviews/award he bagged in the past. He just don't need reviews as an influencer now.
That review is over 16 years old! How about something more current? Where's the before and after testing for his mod upgrades? Do you have anything relevant?

PS, I'm not saying he can't build a decent speaker. The fuzzier claims are what I'd like to see demonstrated!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Wave field synthesis -- possibly something we'll see more in the coming years.
I can dig it.
We've seen Cardiod Speakers, Beam forming... I've seen Radar Theory applied to a Speaker design...
Let's call it a gut instinct to laugh at something with that many drivers crammed into it. ;)
Like a Tekton Ulfbert at 1/20 scale. :p

It would be cool to experience something like the link you posted. I can imagine it being quite immersive with the proper processing capabilities. I'd also expect it to be on the pricey side, I fear.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've seen Radar Theory applied to a Speaker design...

1649697322258.png

source:

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor

billyjoebob

So the filter costs $ 209,10 a pair :oops:

Get the miniDSP!
Not to be a d**k, but why would someone take your advice over the manufacturer here.
Assuming a typo and you meant to say $209.10, what is the manufacturers motivation for their statement. It dont appear to be financial.
Fwiw, I don't use any product listed.
Just really curious.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to be a d**k, but why would someone take your advice over the manufacturer here.
You should do neither. Just look at the information present and make up your own mind.
Assuming a typo and you meant to say $209.10, what is the manufacturers motivation for their statement. It dont appear to be financial.
Of course, it is! Those $200 in parts are the highest margin parts of the whole kit.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, some of us have experience with MiniDSP and 40€ wideband speakers. A 210€ filter will not make this 40€ speaker into a racing car. Neither will a MiniDSP, but you can sell the MiniDSP on or use it for other projects.

Assuming a typo and you meant to say $209.10
Surely you meant 209,10€?:p

what is the manufacturers motivation for their statement. It dont appear to be financial.
The fundamental statement is in the first post, i asked if a MiniDSP wouldn't be a better solution than the pricey filter. The manufacturer said no, MiniDSP sucks the life out of music. This is not peoples experience around here.

Why? So you buy his filter.:cool:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Because the manufacturer has a track record of wanting to sell a bunch of crossover parts. He might as well close shop the day he supports a DSP.

Just really curious.
It is not a typo. Some countries use comma as a decimal point.

Pogre

Just really curious.
Doesn't appear financial?? He's selling them! He doesn't do everything for free!

billyjoebob

Well, some of us have experience with MiniDSP and 40€ wideband speakers. A 210€ filter will not make this 40€ speaker into a racing car. Neither will a MiniDSP, but you can sell the MiniDSP on or use it for other projects.

Surely you meant 209,10€?:p

The fundamental statement is in the first post, i asked if a MiniDSP wouldn't be a better solution than the pricey filter. The manufacturer said no, MiniDSP sucks the life out of music. This is not peoples experience around here.

Why? So you buy his filter.:cool:
But the filter is not "required" unless more than 12watts is applied?
No?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But the filter is not "required" unless more than 12watts is applied?
No?
I don't understand?

The purpose of the filter is to fix the frequency response of the 40€ wideband driver. It has nothing to do with input power. The high price for the filter is caused by the amount of parts needed to fix the wideband driver and the "audiophool" quality of the parts.

Pogre

I didn't really see $200 as much of a windfall.
I did not come anywhere even close to suggesting it was a windfall. You said not for profit, I disagree.

A pack of bubble gum isn't a windfall either, but companies still sell it for profit...

billyjoebob

I don't understand?

The purpose of the filter is to fix the frequency response of the 40€ wideband driver. It has nothing to do with input power. The high price for the filter is caused by the amount of parts needed to fix the wideband driver and the "audiophool" quality of the parts.
When I watched the video, it said the filter was needed to prevent damage to the driver at peaks of 25w, and the filter allowed up to 50w.

As far as audiophool, I would buy from a company that I believed was deceiving me in the 1st place.
So you trust the speaker, just not the filter?

billyjoebob

Because the manufacturer has a track record of wanting to sell a bunch of crossover parts. He might as well close shop the day he supports a DSP.
Then why even purchase from a manufacturer that has a track record of such?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I watched the video, it said the filter was needed to prevent damage to the driver at peaks of 25w, and the filter allowed up to 50w.
That's right, now i understand what you meant.
The filter also removes lower frequencies the tiny wideband driver can't reproduce anyway.

But this and fixing the frequency response could be done better with a MiniDSP.

So you trust the speaker, just not the filter?
Not really, no. Tiny wideband speakers can be fun as a first project, but they are very much limited in every metrik. High distortion, bad frequency response, bad dispersion, low max SPL.

Add the price for the filter. Add the case. You are now at several hundred bucks. The entire proposal is a bad deal, only one winner, which is Danny. Hence his aversion to DSP ;-).

THAT'S KIND OF THE POINT MOST OF US ARE MAKING HERE...
Step back from the keyboard if it all gets a bit much. Simple as. But i feel your pain. ;)

Top Bottom