• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of you are either asking questions or rehashing information that was shared in the build thread.

Rather than repost and further clutter this review thread, please read here.

Thanks!

Rick

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bunch of good parts in there. Many drivers, even in expensive speakers that cost thousands are $50-60, plus the cost of tweeters...
Commercial speakers have a 5 to 10x markup vs parts cost for various reasons. Those are also not good value in many cases.

ta240

Major Contributor
This reminds me a bit of the ACA. A fun little project to build and play with at low volume levels. And both might make sense at a fraction of the price. They just don't perform anywhere near the price level they are at.
If I wanted a small single driver desktop speaker, I'd do Paul Carmody's Sprite in individual speakers or Troel's 5F/8422-T01 those tiny drivers can pump out the sound.
tem.jpg

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now I am so curious to try it myself. Especaially after sending my defective Topping PA5 back for static, crackling and pops. The amp that Amir used to test LGK 2.0. Then told Danny he used a Purifi amp?!?
You have it backwards. Amir mentioned the Purifi and Levinsons when he was asking for a loaner of a built speaker. The testing Amir did was on a DIY speaker a bit later. Amir could use whatever sources and amps he felt like, as GR never agreed to a loaner.

Toni Mas

This reminds me a bit of the ACA. A fun little project to build and play with at low volume levels. And both might make sense at a fraction of the price. They just don't perform anywhere near the price level they are at.
If I wanted a small single driver desktop speaker, I'd do Paul Carmody's Sprite in individual speakers or Troel's 5F/8422-T01 those tiny drivers can pump out the sound.
View attachment 212055
Interesting because the design tries to involve the desktop environment and the influence of boundary conditions ( walls, desktop itself...)... Things that are
obviously not covered by the Klippel measurements system, and do make a difference.

5F-8422T01-1.jpg
5F-8422T01-4.jpg

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

You have it backwards. Amir mentioned the Purifi and Levinsons when he was asking for a loaner of a built speaker. The testing Amir did was on a DIY speaker a bit later. Amir could use whatever sources and amps he felt like, as GR never agreed to a loaner.
[

you’re right, he said he would use Purifi, then used the Topping PA5 instead.

“As to listening to them, I always do that. My system for testing desktop speakers is RME ADI-2 DAC driving Purifi based amplifier. “

Toni Mas

As we are not testing real giant killers, maybe Sororifi and Bottoming Pun5 are competent enough amps... :rolleyes:

Everett T

Forum Donor
Now I am so curious to try it myself. Especaially after sending my defective Topping PA5 back for static, crackling and pops. The amp that Amir used to test LGK 2.0. Then told Danny he used a Purifi amp?!?
The discussion with Danny was "before* hand, FWIW. Also, no other product he used the amp with had an issue, as I assume, without question, would have been delt with. If Danny was sure there was an issue with anything, he'd be screaming from the rooftop.

Danny has designed a few really good speakers, I'm not here to take that away. I am here to say Danny is in the business of making money, and that doesn't include verifiable claims. Even the crossover work done by "the sking ninja" was ironically around the same time when Danny really got into crossover reworking with the same base parts, hmm (tube connectors) and his work was started, and wait for it, on Danny's products. I'd like to know that relationship...

Toni Mas

I wonder how Audio Note’s (corner placement) speakers would measure using Amir’s methods?
I don't know what Klippel might have in strore for these case, but it seems that Amir is using the same process whatever the speaker and intented placement is free of any boundary effects. But it is also clear that GR itself is designing a similar way, without introducing boudary effects in any way....

Everett T

Forum Donor
I don't know what Klippel might have in strore for these case, but it seems that Amir is using the same process whatever the speaker and intented placement is free of any boundary effects. But it is also clear that GR itself is designing a similar way, without introducing boudary effects in any way....
Loading should make no difference on the data in any meaningful way. Above the transition, it's irrelevant.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting because the design tries to involve the desktop environment and the influence of boundary conditions ( walls, desktop itself...)... Things that are
obviously not covered by the Klippel measurements system, and do make a difference.
Klippel gives you the full 3-D radiation of a speaker. You can use that data to model any room you want. PIR is one such modeling which is included in all the reviews. Other situations can be modeled as well.

With respect to LGK, there is no requirement stated to push them against the wall. Even if you did, it would make no difference to problem at hand which is severe distortion all over the audio spectrum. As I noted, I am actually ignoring the bass performance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't read the responses I write to you? If not, I will give a thread ban so you don't keep repeating the same question.

Danny was challenging me on my testing in general claiming I did not have proper setup to test any speaker. So I showed him that I absolutely did and described the setup I normally used. Once I got these speakers though and saw how tiny that driver was, I got concerned about pumping a lot of power into it using Purifi amplifier so used PA5.

This morning I hooked up the PA5 to a Revel speaker in exactly the same setup and I just melted in my seat. The sound was that great! Had never heard the Revels in near field. The sound was exceptional. I then just moved the speaker cable to the LGK 2.0 and man did it sound crappy. You hear the distortion as soon as you give it any volume. Then your ears get trained and no matter how much you lower the volume, you still hear the distortion. And distortion comes right out of the driver. Not the box. Not something rattling. Just the driver.

And oh, crank it up a bit more and it will crackle like nobody's business. You are liable to jump up a foot if you are not prepared for it!

As I said, this is the worst sounding speaker I have ever tested and one that simply is not fit for any hi-fi use. Period. Your PR stunt of continuing to complain about your broken PA5 is out of order and illogical to boot. Learn to read what is written and don't keep creating FUD. Some products are too poor to be used out there and message needs to be clear, front and center.

AudioArchitech

I guess I'm just quite surprised that it could that bad. Good to hear that you retested your PA5 and it still works good, that's promising. May have to try another PA5 later.

edit: only if PA5 warranty shipping is to somewhere in North America, not risking having to ship to China again, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
I guess I'm just quite surprised that it could that bad. Good to hear that you retested your PA5 and it still works good, that's promising. May have to try another PA5 later.
Not sure if it's "that bad" but just not as advertised and certainly not worth the price as a kit or completed speaker. Danny has made some good speakers, this isn't one of them, and the marketing and internal hype just makes it worse.

AudioArchitech

Sounds really bad !

Amir:
“ this is the worst sounding speaker I have ever tested”

“ I then just moved the speaker cable to the LGK 2.0 and man did it sound crappy. You hear the distortion as soon as you give it any volume. “

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It really is that bad. You need to put aside the misconception that it just doesn't have bass. That is not its most serious problem.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Sounds really bad !

Amir:
“ this is the worst sounding speaker I have ever tested”

“ I then just moved the speaker cable to the LGK 2.0 and man did it sound crappy. You hear the distortion as soon as you give it any volume. “
I follow, was speaking in relative terms.

Top Bottom