• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Got official WS-12 distortion measurements from Kali.

which sub do you think is right?

• JBL LSR 310s

• ADAM sub8

• KALI WS-12

• Yamaha HS8

• Just save up for the neumann KH750

• none of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

muhkul

I am currently looking to buy a studio subwoofer.

Considering the Kali WS-12, JBL LSR 310s or just saving up a lot more and getting a Neumann sub.
The Kali seemed way over powered so i asked their support for distortion measurements and got this graph. Does it look good to you guys?
sub measurements.png

i will mostly be playing the sub at low volumes but do enjoy room shaking bass from time to time. The sub will be in a 4.4 by 3.8 meter room with a ceiling height of 2.7 meters. The sub will mostly be used for electronic music production and DJ practice.

Sub will be paired with a pair of JBL LSR 308p mkII monitors. The speakers sound a lot clearer with a high pass filter at 40hz so getting a sub is a must.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a rare hybrid studio/live performance sub the WS-12 is really pretty unique compared with typical subs designed exclusively for use in a studio or live performance but not both. Kali states that the WS-12 is made to be used with any near- or mid-field studio monitors, as well as with small portable PA systems in a live setting. The optimization for 123 dB max SPL with PA speakers in live performances comes at a cost of deep bass in lower SPL studio use with monitors.

OP
M

muhkul

For comparison check out fellow user @sweetchaos subwoofer comparison: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-comparison.20494/

The Neumann KH 750 has been measured here: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/neumann-kh-750-dsp-subwoofer-mit-dsp-system/

Though I am curious as well what the consensus on the WS-12 seems to be :)
Neumann KH750 seems like the perfect sub for me and ticks every box except for price. with my current job i probably wouldn't be able to afford it for a while.

OP
M

muhkul

As a rare hybrid studio/live performance sub the WS-12 is really pretty unique compared with typical subs designed exclusively for use in a studio or live performance but not both. Kali states that the WS-12 is made to be used with any near- or mid-field studio monitors, as well as with small portable PA systems in a live setting. The optimization for 123 dB max SPL with PA speakers in live performances comes at a cost of deep bass in lower SPL studio use with monitors.
Could eq-ing down the higher bass frequencies and turning up the volume work if i wanted the sub to go lower?

More Dynamics Please

Could eq-ing down the higher bass frequencies and turning up the volume work if i wanted the sub to go lower?

Within limitations that could be a viable option. Another option would be to choose a sub more optimized exclusively for studio use without any compromises for live performance capabilities.

OP
M

muhkul

Within limitations that could be a viable option. Another option would be to choose a sub more optimized exclusively for studio use without any compromises for live performance capabilities.
Most subs at the 600 dollar range that i have looked at don't go lower than the Kali. The JBL says 27 hz on their website but there is no indication whether thats ±3db or not. The Yamaha boasts an impressive 22 hz but thats at -10db which isn't really useful.

OP
M

muhkul

Have you got any recommendations?

More Dynamics Please

Have you got any recommendations?

Are you only considering studio monitor subs with balanced connectors or would you also include home audio subwoofers? For example the SVS SB-1000 Pro (sealed) and PB-1000 Pro (vented) would both fit your $600 budget and have multiple DSP functions through a smart phone app. They won't play at 123 dB like the Kali but you've said you mostly listen at low volumes.

OP
M

muhkul

Are you only considering studio monitor subs with balanced connectors or would you also include home audio subwoofers? For example the SVS SB-1000 Pro (sealed) and PB-1000 Pro (vented) would both fit your $600 budget and have multiple DSP functions through a smart phone app. They won't play at 123 dB like the Kali but you've said you mostly listen at low volumes.
Did some research on the SVS and it seems fantastic but it doesn't have a high pass feature for my monitors so it might be a no go unless there is a cheap solution to that.

More Dynamics Please

Did some research on the SVS and it seems fantastic but it doesn't have a high pass feature for my monitors so it might be a no go unless there is a cheap solution to that.

Are you saying you have no high pass capability in your audio system and are looking only at subwoofers that have a high pass feature? Could you please describe your whole audio system and exactly how you plan to set it up.

OP
M

muhkul

Are you saying you have no high pass capability in your audio system and are looking only at subwoofers that have a high pass feature? Could you please describe your whole audio system and exactly how you plan to set it up.
Yes i have no high pass capabilities and i only have 1 balanced stereo channel. The audio currently is coming out of my Focusrite scarlett solo 3rd gen. I would either need a studio sub since those typically have high passed outputs built in or a home theatre sub with flat response and an external crossover. The sub will be set up under my desk with the speakers being on separate speaker stands next to my desk.

More Dynamics Please

OK, I see how a studio sub with balanced connections with high pass would be the easiest option with your specific setup. To make a home audio sub work I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with external crossovers with high pass, preferably with balanced connections, to make a recommendation. Hopefully someone else can give you good advice on this if you decide it makes more sense than a studio sub.

deprogrammed

Yes i have no high pass capabilities and i only have 1 balanced stereo channel. The audio currently is coming out of my Focusrite scarlett solo 3rd gen. I would either need a studio sub since those typically have high passed outputs built in or a home theatre sub with flat response and an external crossover. The sub will be set up under my desk with the speakers being on separate speaker stands next to my desk.
They do make external crossovers with XLR. Take a look at sweetwater or guitar center.

CHOKSTARmusic

Most subs at the 600 dollar range that i have looked at don't go lower than the Kali. The JBL says 27 hz on their website but there is no indication whether thats ±3db or not. The Yamaha boasts an impressive 22 hz but thats at -10db which isn't really useful.
Have you checked Sonodyne?
SLF 312 is really great.

HooStat

I have always thought the Kali sub looked like a high-value option. It seems well-built and has a built-in cross over for your speakers. It plays loudly too. You can play with placement and/or DSP to tweak the bass response in your room.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Rhythmik F12 maybe?

chadsch

I just recently purchased two of the Kali ws12 for my studio. The interface is an Audient ID22, to a 2 way external crossover, highs are suppied by Yamaha HS8. I am using balanced lines for eveything.
My thoughts are that the Kali ws12 is one of the better subs Ive ever heard in my studio. The lows are exremely deep but not overpowering. A sweep from 400hz down gives a pretty flat response to my ear. Because of the high power, they are in my opinion, more accurate. They have the power to produce the low punches accurately and easliy and also have a very low noise floor, especially when run balanced. When there are two, the frequency response does indeed go lower, and overall it seems to do the same low frequencies that one alone achieved, but it sounds like it does it EASIER with two, if that makes sense. I dont have any measurement capabilities, but to me the Kali is perfect for my setup. Ive had LOTS of other subs in the past, including many jbl (a few actual studio subs), a few klipsh (none of which were actual studio subs but did ok), KRK, yamaha, and presonus.
I was a FOH sound engineer for over 30 years so I know what my ears tell me, and they say the kali is the one for now.

I will add that these can be very subtle when dialed in correctly. Under the HS8 they can be set to seem almost invisible, only extending the frequencies of the hs8 in a way that sounds whole and complete. Or you can dial them up a bit and get some SERIOUS thump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom