• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

good quality stereo streamer with HDMI video out ?

pat355

hi,

I'm just wondering if there is any good quality stereo streamer out there with an HDMI video out?
I really enjoy video concerts and would like to enjoy hires audio streaming along with with video capabilities.
I know ROSE does something like that but there are several customer-service related issues that prevent me from going that route.

Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't do audio via hdmi I take it?

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The lower cost and more standard solution is spdif from the tv in a dac and switch to a usb streamer for streaming. But is not all in one. Some streamer have also spdif input. hdmi is nice but not absolutely necessary

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do, using Amazon Firesticks....but not from the tv, I plug them into avrs. Get multich concert videos, too. Chromecast units might be a way to go too? I do also use several Chromecast Audio units

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OP
P

pat355

It was a pleasure for me to try to help you, unfortunately I could not do it.
A more precise explanation of your use case can leed to better help. You already did it in the thread:

Looking for good streamer with HDMI (e)ARC+dig out+sub out
yes you did, but the use case is different.
I'm looking for a streaming transport or streamer with HDMI OUT not IN ;)

not sure how I can explain it better. I'm looking to stream audio AND video out, much like the ROSE streamers do

AdamG

Forum Donor
yes you did, but the use case is different.
I'm looking for a streaming transport or streamer with HDMI OUT not IN ;)

not sure how I can explain it better. I'm looking to stream audio AND video out, much like the ROSE streamers do
Members are trying to help you. If our answers are incorrect consistently, then you have not adequately explained what you are looking for. You can drop the attitude and engage faithfully or you will be shown the door. That should be perfectly clear yes?

OP
P

pat355

I apologize if I came across as rude, that was absolutely not my intention. I tried to say that I don't know how to say it differently, because I really don't know how to explain it differently, not because I believe that others aren't trying to help - they clearly are and I am grateful for that. I thought I acknowledged that but obviously that came across totally differently as my intent.
I'll stop here as I obviously cannot express what I'm trying to do properly. Thank you.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I apologize if I came across as rude, that was absolutely not my intention. I tried to say that I don't know how to say it differently, because I really don't know how to explain it differently, not because I believe that others aren't trying to help - they clearly are and I am grateful for that. I thought I acknowledged that but obviously that came across totally differently as my intent.
I'll stop here as I obviously cannot express what I'm trying to do properly. Thank you.
How about giving us a list of functionality attributes that you want. Did you look at the Shield Pro? There are a couple of new units coming out of China that might be more what you are looking for. What’s your budget?
I'm looking to stream audio AND video out
What is your source? From a home library, or some type of streaming service? Do you use Roon or Plex or a similar service?

Have you seen this?

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize if I came across as rude, that was absolutely not my intention.
You did not, at least not for me in this thread.
I tried to say that I don't know how to say it differently, because I really don't know how to explain it differently, not because I believe that others aren't trying to help - they clearly are and I am grateful for that. I thought I acknowledged that but obviously that came across totally differently as my intent.
Please don't. Just say what you want and answer any upcoming questions. It would be easier and faster in a live conversation but that's no choice, obviously.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW if you just describe existing gear and just what you want to do with this new addition.....

OP
P

pat355

ok, thank you all :)
Let me try again as best I can. So I have a great stereo setup with a streamer that goes into excellent active speakers through digital coax.
I'm using Tidal and Roon for my old CD collection that I ripped a few years ago. Straight stereo music listening is awesome in this case.

I realized over time that I *really* enjoy is watching concerts as much as just audio listening. So I'm using Chromecast with Google TV connected to my TV, out in optical into my active speakers and it works fine but it's not the greatest audio experience.

So I was thinking about using such a service: https://www.nugs.net/ which allows for hifi streaming for both audio and video streams. I'm not sure how one does this though?
how to stream both audio and video feeds without losing the quality and what device helps me do this?

Thanks again!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me try again as best I can. So I have a great stereo setup with a streamer that goes into excellent active speakers through digital coax.
I'm using Tidal and Roon for my old CD collection that I ripped a few years ago. Straight stereo music listening is awesome in this case.

I realized over time that I *really* enjoy is watching concerts as much as just audio listening. So I'm using Chromecast with Google TV connected to my TV, out in optical into my active speakers and it works fine but it's not the greatest audio experience.

So I was thinking about using such a service: https://www.nugs.net/ which allows for hifi streaming for both audio and video streams. I'm not sure how one does this though?
how to stream both audio and video feeds without losing the quality and what device helps me do this?

Thanks again!
What particular app is it you're using with the googletv/chromecast setup? What is lacking?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So what you want is not just audio out over HDMI but also video. This rules out audio streamers whether they have HDMI or not. One of the easiest way to get there is a computer. I use fanless PC for that. It is not ideal given the constant software updates but naturally I can run anything I need on it. Adam also gave a good suggestion with Nvidia Shield.

JakeK

Forum Donor

Thanks again!
I think we need to dig into what you think is wrong with your current setup. Is it the user interface, the number of button presses required or the actual sound? I use a new Chromecast connected to an AV Receiver and while I haven't tested Google TV critically the sound seems great. Youtube music is downright annoying though so is that what you don't like? Nugs lists Chromecast as one of the ways to use their service so I would suggest trying this on your Google TV. To do this you need to look for and install the nugs.net app on Google TV.

I think a photo of the listening setup you want to fix may help by the way.

Top Bottom