• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel2 Headphone AMP Review: another champ?

gvl

Major Contributor
The Archel2 has the potential to host a KTB inside, I will be interested in one if it can as this will be the ultimate office desk solution. Among other things, the industrial looks will help to keep workplace thieves uninterested.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just to be clear, I don't have permission to tell you what is inside much less a teardown. Nor have I looked inside. Understandably they don't want to enable someone else too quickly to figure out what they have done.

gvl

Major Contributor
Just to be clear, I don't have permission to tell you what is inside much less a teardown. Nor have I looked inside. Understandably they don't want to enable someone else too quickly to figure out what they have done.

Do you have permission to measure the case dimensions? Is this the same enclosure as the O2?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have permission to measure the case dimensions? Is this the same enclosure as the O2?
Sure. Stand by....

Geshelli

Audio Company
That's why you need to buy one on the open market then you don't need permission, someone will do a teardown
We will be offering this in the same clear plexi case as our previous products. You will be able to see the board without having to purchase :) The case is the same one we use for the Archel and ENOG2. It's easier to use the same case rather than have to pay for more tooling work.

gvl

Major Contributor
So it is a 4.3"x3.0"x1.8 aluminum enclosure, taller than the O2. This bodes well with the KTB dimensions. One concern KTBs RCAs may not clear the power and RCA connectors of the amp.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
We will be offering this in the same clear plexi case as our previous products. You will be able to see the board without having to purchase :) The case is the same one we use for the Archel and ENOG2. It's easier to use the same case rather than have to pay for more tooling work.

Very very nice work on this little amp. You can see that there are many here who appreciate elegant engineering. I'll certainly be looking more into your products.

Cheers.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

As I said at this level of value DIY/teardown is sort of irrelevant.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
That's why you need to buy one on the open market then you don't need permission, someone will do a teardown
The open market is a tough son of a bitch. No one can control it. Just ask anyone that's sold products to China...

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Very happy to see quality and performance at this price point and dimensions. This kind of device can bring me back into the market. It also shows that the punters don't have to spend $400 to get decent audio (*789*), or buy into buy into bullshit products (Schiit).

Last edited:

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
You think this Archel 2 performance can really be beaten that easily? :D
if yes, interesting to see what 'Topping' will come up with ;)
Topping does look like a different product; they have their own design language plus features like the LCD screen and remotes etc so they're more sophisticated in that respect. But this Archel is excellent for the money, plus it looks cool; like the car amplifier I had when I got out of school lol

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm, can you please measure THD vs frequency?
Sure:

Geshelli Labs Archel2 Unbalanced Headphone Amplifier THD+N versus Frequency Audio Measurements.png

Looks like you found a crack in its performance. Fortunately low frequency distortion is very hard to hear due to high threshold of hearing there so subjective results would not be that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps Amir could post a multitone to get rid of all the speculations ...
Here you go:

Geshelli Labs Archel2 Unbalanced Headphone Amplifier Multitone Audio Measurements.png

Same rise in low frequency harmonics as in the previous graph is shown here. Our hearing is most sensitive in 2 to 4 kHz so there, we are absolutely in the clear.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Here you go:

View attachment 36296

Same rise in low frequency harmonics as in the previous graph is shown here. Our hearing is most sensitive in 2 to 4 kHz so there, we are absolutely in the clear.
Ah 5W 4ohm? Is it 33ohm or 300ohm? I guess 300. It would be best to see 33ohm as well.

Degru

Definitely room in there for a E1DA 9038D (single ended version of the 9038s) though !

The only possible shortcoming I can think of is the slightly low power for low impedance loads. Insensitive planar headphones might pose an issue.
But its really clean output and low output impedance would make for an excellent desktop amp for super sensitive IEMS though.
No point; the 9038D is already powerful enough for most things and if you're trying to drive something outside of its ability then it will likely be too difficult for this amp also.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Awesome news here, new SINAD record, much appreciated!

So, each channel has a 300mA output buffer LMH6321 in the loop of a low-noise J-FET input OPA1642, very clever, indeed!

@amirm, I don't see clipping in the THD+N graphs, so is the gain too low especially to not make the output buffers to distort or am I missing something? I do have the feeling that if the gain can be increased, then the output power might be increased a bi, because the output buffers can take much more. Thank you!
If the supply is the same 2Watts DC/DC converter shown for the Pro, only 65mA per rail will be available.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah 5W 4ohm? Is it 33ohm or 300ohm? I guess 300. It would be best to see 33ohm as well.
Sorry, pulled that template form power amp folder. Ignore that. I ran it at 100 K load. Didn't make a difference at 300 ohm.

Top Bottom