• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General design stupidity

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you could rewire it to use a regular blinker module. Not everyone knew how obviously. Cheap fix if you did.

Suicide doors not an easy fix.
And the Tbird was a high-end car. Generally you weren't scraping by on a budget.

TheWalkman

And the Tbird was a high-end car. Generally you weren't scraping by on a budget.
When you were 17 like my buddy was with a six or seven year old ‘Bird, let’s just say he wasn’t lighting Cuban cigars with hundred dollar bills. (Though he was lighting his new blinkers with at least three.)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When you were 17 like my buddy was with a six or seven year old ‘Bird, let’s just say he wasn’t lighting Cuban cigars with hundred dollar bills. (Though he was lighting his new blinkers with at least three.)
Well, sure. But he got a high end car used and cheap.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why in the world are credit cards going from cards with nice large raised numbers to designs with a blank front side and small print on the back. And in my case not just small print but print with almost no contrast - light grey against slightly darker grey. I honestly cannot read these.
Because you don’t need to personally know the number anymore to make a transaction. My Chase card doesn’t even have the card number on it.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because you don’t need to personally know the number anymore to make a transaction. My Chase card doesn’t even have the card number on it.
I can't see how you can make any on-line purchase without knowing the number, expiry date and Security No. I always get asked for all three except those few traders that I buy from sufficiently regularly for them to have the numbers saved (except the security No). And then I have to authorise the transaction through a one-time code or App.

S.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you are in the UK. So if you make an online purchase you have to access an app for the info not on the card?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you are in the UK. So if you make an online purchase you have to access an app for the info not on the card?
Yes, I am but what I experience is not related to online, its about physical use as well. The merchant's terminal can read the card info like in any other card, hence we do not need the number anymore.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am but what I experience is not related to online, its about physical use as well. The merchant's terminal can read the card info like in any other card, hence we do not need the number anymore.
Yes, I think we all knew that. The question is what do you do with online or phone purchases using that card?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I think we all knew that. The question is what do you do with online or phone purchases using that card?
Maybe open your notes app and read the the card number instead of opening your wallet and get the card out? :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe open your notes app and read the the card number instead of opening your wallet and get the card out? :)
That was the question. To my knowledge they don't have those in the USA yet. I'm not sure I see a big advantage vs getting the card out of your wallet.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That was the question. To my knowledge they don't have those in the USA yet.
Unfortunately US Banks are slow to update. However, you do have them in the US; there are almost 7 million Apple Card users in the US alone. That is 7% penetration.

I'm not sure I see a big advantage vs getting the card out of your wallet.
What happens if your card is stollen? The thief has everything needed to make a card-not-present purchase. You are only protected on card-present purchases as they are protected with a PIN number.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A high school buddy had a ‘73 Thunderbird... (And don’t even ask me about the Suicide Doors on that same car)
Not a '73. That was the 2nd year of the "Gen 6" 'Bird which only came in a two-door coupe style. Same platform as Lincoln Continental Mark IV.

The "Gen 5" Thunderbird (1967 to 1971) could be had with suicide doors.

DAF-FNQ

Why does he refer to the handbrake/ park-brake as the emergency brake? I saw a YouTube video about the differences between America and Australia, the lady said she was surprised how everybody in Australia used the handbrake when they parked, and she was berated when she didn't use the handbrake. Is this common in the U.S.?

DonR

Major Contributor
Why does he refer to the handbrake/ park-brake as the emergency brake? I saw a YouTube video about the differences between America and Australia, the lady said she was surprised how everybody in Australia used the handbrake when they parked, and she was berated when she didn't use the handbrake. Is this common in the U.S.?
In Canada, I was never taught to use the "hand brake" AKA parking brake (at the time in the late 70's it was more common to be found as a pedal on the floor). My 3 children, however, were all taught to apply the brake when parking and the driving examiners looked for it on the test. My current car has an electric brake which I find annoying.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately US Banks are slow to update. However, you do have them in the US; there are almost 7 million Apple Card users in the US alone. That is 7% penetration.

What happens if your card is stollen? The thief has everything needed to make a card-not-present purchase. You are only protected on card-present purchases as they are protected with a PIN number.
Yes, I forgot about the Apple card. Don't have one myself, but have seen them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well emergency is when you don't otherwise have brakes. And also for parking. Probably most US drivers with automatics don't use parking brakes for parking. And quite a few don't for manual transmission cars either. One reason they don't call them handbrakes is the majority of USA cars for a long time had the emergency/parking brake as a small pedal down beside the regular brake pedals so it wasn't a hand brake. But yes for one reason or another it is quite common in the US for drivers not to use those brakes when parking their cars. They have the idea they are only for emergency use if your normal braking system fails because they've been called Emergency brakes.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been taught to stop the car ( stick shift naturally as it where in Europe 30 years ago ) leave the stick in a neutral position not in any gear and apply the handbrake otherwise the car would roll away from me .

To start your stick shift car you press down the clutch fully start the engine put in a gear 1 or reverse, release clutch so that you feels that it’s start to engage and slowly realease handbrake and release more clutch until your moving in the desired direction ( or if parked on flat surface cheat and let go of the handbrake first ). :)

Aah driving school start your stick shift car uphill was an excercise :) used handbrake and clutch in unison so that the car did not roll backwards when you got it going .

This does ofcourse only works with a handbrake lever.

I think modern stickshift cars auto realease the electronic handbrake so you don’t have to bother ? My recent automatic cars have all done this ? They auto release the electronic handbrake as soon as I start moving.

Hmmm must try a stick car with electronic handbrake ? Been using automatic transmission for so long now I’ve start to forget :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been taught to stop the car ( stick shift naturally as it where in Europe 30 years ago ) leave the stick in a neutral position not in any gear and apply the handbrake otherwise the car would roll away from me .

To start your stick shift car you press down the clutch fully start the engine put in a gear 1 or reverse, release clutch so that you feels that it’s start to engage and slowly realease handbrake and release more clutch until your moving in the desired direction ( or if parked on flat surface cheat and let go of the handbrake first ). :)

Aah driving school start your stick shift car uphill was an excercise :) used handbrake and clutch in unison so that the car did not roll backwards when you got it going .

This does ofcourse only works with a handbrake lever.

I think modern stickshift cars auto realease the electronic handbrake so you don’t have to bother ? My recent automatic cars have all done this ? They auto release the electronic handbrake as soon as I start moving.

Hmmm must try a stick car with electronic handbrake ? Been using automatic transmission for so long now I’ve start to forget :)
I've used them when I park too. I haven't used them for starting up hills in conjunction with the clutch. I release the regular brake and release the clutch as I increase the accelerator pedal to start with no roll back.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Well emergency is when you don't otherwise have brakes. And also for parking. Probably most US drivers with automatics don't use parking brakes for parking. And quite a few don't for manual transmission cars either. One reason they don't call them handbrakes is the majority of USA cars for a long time had the emergency/parking brake as a small pedal down beside the regular brake pedals so it wasn't a hand brake. But yes for one reason or another it is quite common in the US for drivers not to use those brakes when parking their cars. They have the idea they are only for emergency use if your normal braking system fails because they've been called Emergency brakes.
Hand/parking brakes became less reliable when cars got disc brakes all around and the parking brake used a much smaller drum. Had a Renault Clio from new and the parking brake wouldn’t hold the car on even a slight incline.

Top Bottom