• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General design stupidity

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did I already mention "download applications" I'm shopping HD-tracks rigth now , a thing your browser did just fine for decades , now in the form of a cluncy app that does it far worse and bloated :rolleyes:o_O:facepalm: cant be justified unless it's also spyware then i understand .
Haven't purchased anything from them lately, but their way of purchasing has always been like that. I don't think it is spyware. Anyone writing spyware could do better. Most definitely belongs on the list of design stupidity.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't purchased anything from them lately, but their way of purchasing has always been like that. I don't think it is spyware. Anyone writing spyware could do better. Most definitely belongs on the list of design stupidity.
It's rigth up there with inventing your own file browser for windows :) why does anyone thinks this is great , I have many tech aplications where the act of "files save" or "file open" brings up something that looks like win3.11 :D or worse

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's rigth up there with inventing your own file browser for windows :) why does anyone thinks this is great , I have many tech aplications where the act of "files save" or "file open" brings up something that looks like win3.11 :D or worse
I started to comment it looked like something from the days of 3.11 and not a good example of that.

mansr

Major Contributor
I suspect one reason they do it is that it allows them to offer various file formats without needing to store and serve more than one. The app fetches FLAC and converts to whatever the customer selected. This saves a lot of bandwidth costs compared to letting people download uncompressed files. The app still sucks, of course.

ccc118

This thread is for venting on bad product design, especially when this replaces something perfectly good. My credit card prompted me to start this so lets start there:

Why in the world are credit cards going from cards with nice large raised numbers to designs with a blank front side and small print on the back. And in my case not just small print but print with almost no contrast - light grey against slightly darker grey. I honestly cannot read these.
I had to get a new credit card last year because my number was stolen. I noticed the other day that the numbers are already starting to wear off, as they're just printed on.

egellings

Major Contributor
I think the raised numbers on the cards have disappeared because the old-fashioned readers where the card was placed into a device over a receipt and a handle was slid back & forth, causing a roller to force the card down on the receipt to leave an imprint of the card's number on it, are no longer used. Now you just place the card over a reader and a chip's contents is read. it's sorta like the turntable being replaced by a digital source.

DonR

Major Contributor
I think the raised numbers on the cards have disappeared because the old-fashioned readers where the card was placed into a device over a receipt and a handle was slid back & forth, causing a roller to force the card down on the receipt to leave an imprint of the card's number on it, are no longer used. Now you just place the card over a reader and a chip's contents is read. it's sorta like the turntable being replaced by a digital source.
... and, therefore, it is cheaper to print a new card. Difficult, though, when the numbers wear off and you need to input your CC details online or over the phone.

mansr

Major Contributor
... and, therefore, it is cheaper to print a new card. Difficult, though, when the numbers wear off and you need to input your CC details online or over the phone.
Do you not have the card number memorised?

egellings

Major Contributor
I have my card numbers stored on a piece of paper hidden at home. I can recover if need be with those. When I travel. I take the numbers with me, remembering which card goes with which number, so all you see on the paper is 3 large numbers and that's it. No clue as to what they mean or what they are for is included. I have had to rely on that one time so far.

mansr

Major Contributor
I have my card numbers stored on a piece of paper hidden at home. I can recover if need be with those. When I travel. I take the numbers with me, remembering which card goes with which number, so all you see on the paper is 3 large numbers and that's it. No clue as to what they mean or what they are for is included. I have had to rely on that one time so far.
It's easy enough to recognise a valid credit card number.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
In the distant past, gasoline pumps would ask for the car license plate number, now the pumps ask for Zip code.
I don't have a clue what the plate numbers are.

Top Bottom