• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General design stupidity

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning

mini.gif

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They're just keeping their options open. Who hasn't seen drivers cross four busy lanes with the wrong turn signal going? This lends some legitimacy.
Perfect for the Boston metro area (where there be many Minis, in fact)! To paraphrase Dave Barry, turn signals only serve to give information to the enemy.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Used a small electric motor turning a cam that switched relays.
I know. I just thought it was funny use of the word, without electronics. Like relays and electric motor’s aren’t electronic.

Funnily enough, I just sim’d up a cascading resistor array circuit to act as a led meter for the stereo I’m maybe gonna DIY. It’s fun to try and figure out without using ICs.

Emlin

I know. I just thought it was funny use of the word, without electronics. Like relays and electric motor’s aren’t electronic.

Funnily enough, I just sim’d up a cascading resistor array circuit to act as a led meter for the stereo I’m maybe gonna DIY. It’s fun to try and figure out without using ICs.
They aren't electronic, they're electrical. At least in the UK.

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I'm sure you'll like this one, if it ever comes to pass:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/12/16880978/gm-autonomous-car-2019-detroit-auto-show-2018

"GM will make an autonomous car without steering wheel or pedals"

Of course, it seems odd that they couldn't figure out how to integrate the Climate Control

View attachment 107787

I wonder what it does if you press the red triangle?
I'd get rid of the front and back windows and have the front seats reversed so they face the back seats. You could have a pull down display if you don't want to talk with or look at the person across from you. If you're not driving no reason to deal with windshield issues and airbags popping up in your face, detaching your retinas. Let the carriage master take care of everything!

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They aren't electronic, they're electrical. At least in the UK.
Not surprisingly, I am probably using the words wrong (lay person). So I went and looked it up. Most definitions agree on semi-conductors making a device electronic. And things such as AC circuits are electrical. Some seem to imply that few DC circuits are electrical? Some indicate electrical is anything doing with electricity and electronics deals with circuits. One suggested that relays and transistors could be thought of as the intersection between electronic (usually) and electrical circuits. So by many definitions if an electrical motor was directly activating the relay, then yep, electrical, though some would still allow the use of electronic.

Anyway, total lay person at this stuff, who has taken up designing electrical circuits to work with electronics as a hobby. so thanks for the rabbit hole!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not surprisingly, I am probably using the words wrong (lay person). So I went and looked it up. Most definitions agree on semi-conductors making a device electronic. And things such as AC circuits are electrical. Some seem to imply that few DC circuits are electrical? Some indicate electrical is anything doing with electricity and electronics deals with circuits. ...

As an MSEE, I should think there's a difference... but if there is I wouldn't much care. I don't even think IEEE has a definition of either what establishes a difference.

To me -personal interpretation-, "electronics" refers to something that has some degree of logic built into it, or maybe just has some chips in it. "Electrical" simply the device function is powered by electricity, which to a large degree is pretty much everything these days... :)

A hair dryer is no doubt an electrical device. But throw in any function other than "convert electricity to heat and air flow" (ie some hair dryness detector or advanced temperature control) and it becomes "electronics". :) Pretty much every electrical device these days contains electronics.

TheWalkman

Better turn signals from 1965/66 without electronics.

A high school buddy had a ‘73 Thunderbird with similar signals and the turn signal control module went bad. As I recall, the replacement module was something like $300 and without it, he couldn’t pass Inspection.

$300 in 1976 was big money. To put that in perspective for our younger members, I can remember a guy wanting $300 for a decent, ‘69 MG Midget.

A new control module or a new car: that is the question.

(And don’t even ask me about the Suicide Doors on that same car, which proved to be problematic when his little brother opened the backdoor while he was temporarily stopped at the corner of his block. Suicide doors and pickup truck bumpers can be extremely detrimental to tranquil, sibling relationships.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A high school buddy had a ‘73 Thunderbird with similar signals and the turn signal control module went bad. As I recall, the replacement module was something like $300 and without it, he couldn’t pass Inspection.

$300 in 1976 was big money. To put that in perspective for our younger members, I can remember a guy wanting $300 for a decent, ‘69 MG Midget.

A new control module or a new car: that is the question.

(And don’t even ask me about the Suicide Doors on that same car, which proved to be problematic when his little brother opened the backdoor while he was temporarily stopped at the corner of his block. Suicide doors and pickup truck bumpers can be extremely detrimental to tranquil, sibling relationships.)
Well you could rewire it to use a regular blinker module. Not everyone knew how obviously. Cheap fix if you did.

Suicide doors not an easy fix.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wait! They did that without electronics? Is it hydraulic?

Well you could rewire it to use a regular blinker module. Not everyone knew how obviously. Cheap fix if you did.

Suicide doors not an easy fix.
The electric and the electronic. The analog and the digital.
Blinker fluid ties this all together, you know.

s-l500.jpg

blinker-fluid2.jpg

The bottom image, of course, shows the correct approach to refilling blinker fluid.

Andreas007

why are remotes black? you never find them in the dark.

web_version-999965_servicekit_product_image.png
A bit late, but I wanted to add that black is often the easiest option for plastics products which have a long lifetime. The added carbon black in the plastic acts as UV protection and is preventing degradation. See what happens to coloured plastic plastic toys over time. Carbon black stays black over many years and also protects the polymer matrix.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Had for a while an Avid Pulsus preamp, the dip switches were on the underside. What a ball ache trying to turn it over to try and get the right setting. What you get for buying HiFi reviewers best buys.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you'll find that some plastics last longer than others

the polymers on a Glock pistol will last til the heat death of the universe

the plastics on a cheap smartphone or laptop will degrade after a decade

about usability issues... i bought a harmon bds 280 bluray wifi streamer intregrated amp

there's no buttons for operation anywhere on the machine, just a very sexy but not well thought out lit animated volume and on off button

so you cant do nothing but with the remote or your phone app... and then you kinda need a screen on all the time to see where you're going as the dot matrix screen kinda sucks

maxresdefault.jpg

amazing sound though but no wonder they sunk like a rock

Top Bottom