• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec SAM GLM Monitors with NON-GENELEC subs

montyliam

Hi there, I am considering purchasing a set of Genelec 8340a monitors along with the Genelec GLM microphone. The monitors will be placed around 2.5m from the listening position on top of two DIY subwoofers either side to act as bass extension units and also as stands. I am planning on using some Peerless XLS12 drivers either side along with a Hypex FA502 amplifer.

My question is, will the GLM software allow me to set crossovers for the monitors so I can integrate the subs properly.

The signal chain plan is like this:

Topping D10B digital out -> Hypex FA502 (Hypex digital out) -> Monitor 1 (monitor 1 digital out) -> Monitor 2

This would allow the signal chain to be fully digital and avoid unnecessary digtal to analogue to digital conversion. I plan to cross the monitors around 80-120hz to the subs. So my plan would be to run GLM for the monitors, set an 80-120 high pass in GLM (if possible), and then EQ the subs and set XO in the Hypex software using Hypex filter design.

Would this proposed plan work? Thanks in advance!

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi there, I am considering purchasing a set of Genelec 8340a monitors along with the Genelec GLM microphone. The monitors will be placed around 2.5m from the listening position on top of two DIY subwoofers either side to act as bass extension units and also as stands. I am planning on using some Peerless XLS12 drivers either side along with a Hypex FA502 amplifer.

My question is, will the GLM software allow me to set crossovers for the monitors so I can integrate the subs properly.

The signal chain plan is like this:

Topping D10B digital out -> Hypex FA502 (Hypex digital out) -> Monitor 1 (monitor 1 digital out) -> Monitor 2

This would allow the signal chain to be fully digital and avoid unnecessary digtal to analogue to digital conversion. I plan to cross the monitors around 80-120hz to the subs. So my plan would be to run GLM for the monitors, set an 80-120 high pass in GLM (if possible), and then EQ the subs and set XO in the Hypex software using Hypex filter design.

Would this proposed plan work? Thanks in advance!

That sounds like a cool implementation, I would be interested in learning more about your DIY subs. Those suckers are so ridiculously priced here they are not a viable option for me. If you select one of the .1 options when you set the group up is lets you set a crossover before calibration. I can't confirm this actually works as I have not run through the setup with my sub disconnected. How are you powering the subs?

OP
M

montyliam

That sounds like a cool implementation, I would be interested in learning more about your DIY subs. Those suckers are so ridiculously priced here they are not a viable option for me. If you select one of the .1 options when you set the group up is lets you set a crossover before calibration. I can't confirm this actually works as I have not run through the setup with my sub disconnected. How are you powering the subs?
The subs will be powered by the Hypex Plate amp. It’s the FA502 with two channels of 500w at 4ohms. The subs either side will have to be mono, then from the plate amp the unfiltered digital signal into the monitors.

My main question is, will GLM software allow me to set a high pass on the monitors, so I can set the corresponding low pass in the Hypex software and delay as needed?

I can build the subs and Hypex amp for around £1000, which is still way less than any single Genelec sub would be!

hege

Forum Donor
Yes, you can do exactly as proposed, GLM can set filters on per-speaker basis.

james57

Yes, you can do exactly as proposed, GLM can set filters on per-speaker basis.
Hi Edge, I was told at one point you needed a connected genelec sub to be able to set a HPF in the GLM software to apply on the monitors, pls confirm as this is an option I am contemplating. Thanks

hege

Forum Donor
Hi Edge, I was told at one point you needed a connected genelec sub to be able to set a HPF in the GLM software to apply on the monitors, pls confirm as this is an option I am contemplating. Thanks
That's just false rumor. All settings can be done for individual speakers regardless of how many or type of speakers there are.

Top Bottom