• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 83x0 vs 83x1

EPC

If you have the budget, yes. In my case, I wanted all my front speakers identical and 8341 was expensive. Moreover I wanted a protective grill around tweeter which is not available with 8341.
I’m not sure whether to buy a smaller Genelec with a sub or a bigger monitor without a sub.
E.g. 8320/8330 and 7350
Or 8340/8350

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I’m not sure whether to buy a smaller Genelec with a sub or a bigger monitor without a sub.
E.g. 8320/8330 and 7350
Or 8340/8350

Buy the biggest you can now, you can always add a sub later but you can't make the monitors bigger and then you're limited

Sprint

Forum Donor
Do you mean midrange? Ones all have the same tweeter grill that every other Genelec has.

image of 8341a

Sorry my bad...oh yes I was referring to midrange. I guess it will cost around 1000 bugs if it gets damaged.

Sprint

Forum Donor
E.g. 8320/8330 and 7350
Or 8340/8350
I would say bigger has more oomph. I would have gone for 8350 if I could have got it in white color.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would say bigger has more oomph. I would have gone for 8350 if I could have got it in white color.
I'm also in love with the white but i can't see myself going with a smaller monitor just because of the color

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry my bad...oh yes I was referring to midrange. I guess it will cost around 1000 bugs if it gets damaged.

I guess it would be possible but you'd have to puncture a pretty small area with something hard. It's not like a tweeter that you can just push in or anything like that. I'm definitely not worried about my 8351Bs lol.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would be worried only in a case of an earthquake, but that applies to just about everything

Sprint

Forum Donor
I would be worried only in a case of an earthquake, but that applies to just about everything
Wish it was like that. But I had looked at it very closely and it is quite sensitive. In case, a kid takes a sharp object and pierces it through, then one has to be ready to send it to Genelec to get it repaired :facepalm:. If the kid repeats the same on other LCR as he had fun doing for the first one, then bad luck. I did not want to take this risk and hence went for a 2 way which is more rock solid due to the protective element on both the woofers and tweeters. Hope my 2 way stays safe :D. As you have seen my room pics, the speakers are on low board easily reachable for kids. If the speakers are on stands or on a standard desk, the risk is less :).

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Wish it was like that. But I had looked at it very closely and it is quite sensitive. In case, a kid takes a sharp object and pierces it through, then one has to be ready to send it to Genelec to get it repaired :facepalm:. If the kid repeats the same on other LCR as he had fun doing for the first one, then bad luck. I did not want to take this risk and hence went for a 2 way which is more rock solid due to the protective element on both the woofers and tweeters. Hope my 2 way stays safe :D. As you have seen my room pics, the speakers are on low board easily reachable for kids. If the speakers are on stands or on a standard desk, the risk is less :).
Completely agree with you, I hope the lack of midrange grill has a technical reason behind it.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a slightly tangential topic, since Revels are popular on ASR and I have the M16, I was comparing the dimensions of the Revels which have a 6.5" mid-range to the 8340A which has the same size mid-range and interestingly, the speakers are roughly the same size

M16: 14.75" x 8.6"x 10.76" (37cm x 22cm x 27cm)
M126Be: 15.2"x 8.3" x 10.3"
8340A: H 14 3/8 x W 9 11/32 x D 8 25/32 in, with Iso-Pod™

And the Genelecs have amps inside them! Retail price is another story. A 6.5" shoot-out would be quite the fun!

Thought this was an interesting comparison.

Sprint

Forum Donor
On a slightly tangential topic, since Revels are popular on ASR and I have the M16, I was comparing the dimensions of the Revels which have a 6.5" mid-range to the 8340A which has the same size mid-range and interestingly, the speakers are roughly the same size

M16: 14.75" x 8.6"x 10.76" (37cm x 22cm x 27cm)
M126Be: 15.2"x 8.3" x 10.3"
8340A: H 14 3/8 x W 9 11/32 x D 8 25/32 in, with Iso-Pod™

And the Genelecs have amps inside them! Retail price is another story. A 6.5" shoot-out would be quite the fun!

Thought this was an interesting comparison.

Absolutely agree, that would be fun. If I were in the US, I would have sent my 8340 to amirm for a measurement.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it should be added though that there are also some cases documented in the www where kids threw small stuff like toys inside the bass reflex tube which can be quite dangerous at an active loudspeaker.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Better directivity in the Ones is an important factor. Here's some graphs to aid your thinking. Bigger version though.

Genelec 8350A
View attachment 46278

Genelec 8351A
View attachment 46279
I've read about the the better directivity of the Ones many times, but no one seems to mention the mid driver quality and that they're 3 way vs 2 way of the 8000 series.
Is the mid driver that bad that it never gets mentioned? (especially not like the ATC and Neumann mid drivers get mentioned)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I'm getting senileo_O
But i really rarely read about them around here.

I think that the fact the Ones are 3-way is important, especially so as coaxials, as 2-way coaxials are notorious for high IMD and it's been reported to be audible by various sources.

I don't know if the Genelec mids are as good as the Neumann one. For the 8351B/8361A, it is much newer than the Neumann 3" mid-dome and plays over a wider frequency range, so perhaps not even a fair comparison. I would guess a lot of the reverence for the Neumann/ATC domes is due to historical reasons such as how long the drivers have been at top levels of performance.

But I'm far from a driver expert and tbh I pay much more attention to overall speaker performance, worrying about driver characteristics is a bit too close to the sausage-making for my interest :p

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I've read about the the better directivity of the Ones many times, but no one seems to mention the mid driver quality and that they're 3 way vs 2 way of the 8000 series.
Is the mid driver that bad that it never gets mentioned? (especially not like the ATC and Neumann mid drivers get mentioned)
Measurements show it as exceptional, especially considering the limitations brought by the coaxial design. I mean, its latest iteration in the 8361A can reach something like 115 dB at 3% THD, which is quite amazing; the KH420 only has a 5 dB advantage over it and it plays over 570-2000 Hz instead of 320-2800.

vocalisto

I don't know why... but I hear Things on my 8320's that I don't noticed on my 8361's... This is very strange.. it shouldn't be like that.. it should be the oposite..

Top Bottom