• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8340 / 7350 mysteriously not working. Please help.

alexreinhold

Hi all,

long time lurker, first time poster. I have an issue and, for the life of me, can't figure out what's going on. Please let me know if anyone has an idea - I'm on the verge of going crazy.

Setup: 2 Genelec 8340, 1 Genelec 7350 sub, Axe I/O audio interface, Macbook M1 Monterrey, Analog cables

I connected as shown in your user manual (see picture) but there's no sound. Here's what I have tried:
- connected speakers without subwoofer: no sound
- tried standalone and GLM trying on/off STORED dip: no sound
- tried different inputs/outputs on the subwoofer: no sound
- I factory reset both speakers: no sound

Here's the weird part:
- Yamaha HS7s work through the Axe I/O
- When I connect to the XLR cable to the HS7s daisy-chained via the 7350, they work (but the sub doesn't)
- when I run GLM, the test sounds work through the speakers
- when I factory reset, I hear sound from the Mac for a brief second.

From what I see:
- no problem with the cables
- likely no problem with audio interface (the HS7 work (haven't tired a 2nd one)
- likely no problem with the speakers (sound via GLM)
- likely no problem with Mac (haven't tried a 2nd one)

What could be the problem?
Thanks,
Alex

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-03 at 19.40.29.jpeg

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Output is probably at -90, that's the default setting after the calibration. BTW the test tones from GLM doesn't travel through the XLR cables, they doesn't have to be connected for it to work

Zrzut ekranu 2023-10-3 o 20.40.10.png

Last edited:
OP
A

alexreinhold

Nope, there's absolutely no sound whatsoever. I also tried raising up from -90 in GLM - did nothing. Unfortunately, nothing is coming out of the speakers (except the test tones from GLM) :-/

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nope, there's absolutely no sound whatsoever. I also tried raising up from -90 in GLM - did nothing. Unfortunately, nothing is coming out of the speakers (except the test tones from GLM) :-/
Can you show the first setup screen, the one where you place speakers on the honeycomb pattern? What color are lights on the monitors?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the speakers set up to accept analog input? Edit the layout and click a speaker, analog input should be checked.

OP
A

alexreinhold

Alright guys, turns out cyjanopan was right and I am very stupid. For some reason though, I had to create a new group to be able to set the volume from -90 to higher than -60 (no clue why). Also, when putting the speakers in standalone mode, they had to be turned off and on again to work. That little detail (and the fact I had to create a new group) really made me think that something mysterious is happening...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Top Bottom