• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Pancreas

I don’t think so, I literally never touch the power button since I got them 1.5 years ago, and only ever have the mild pop when it goes out of standby when I play music the first time, and then no matter what I do, it didn’t pop during restarting

try connecting only the speakers to a surge protector that is off, isolating them, then disconnect the interface from computer, then turn on speakers via surge protector switch, do you hear a pop/thump when turning on and off?

Mine pop during restarting because of my audio interface

pehu63

Do you get a pop or thump sound when windows starts or restarts? It always happens, even if the speakers are on and not sleeping. If I decide to restart windows, then when the computer logo appear, it makes a low thump, then another one before entering the screen where you put your password

I'm on windows 10

I think is related to windows rather than the speakers as they're new basically

I read it could be "sound scheme engaging and disengaging" but dont know how to disable that or change the sound

I wonder if is caused by the fact that I have the Genelec sleep mode on. Unlikely cause I never let them go to sleep. I turn off my surge protector before I go to sleep, then turn it on when I'm going to use the computer in the day. When I turn it on, the speaker do make a thump noise as well, probably from the current waking them up?

That doesn't explain why it still happens when they are already on, but only on windows startup or restart.

Do you have proper earthing on the mains of the Genelec 8030 speakers?

pehu63

There are 70 pages about this speaker. Personally, I think is overpriced and should've come with RCA inputs as well. Even Yamaha HS5, some cheap $200 speakers have RCAs. Not to mention, no option to turn off this annoying super bright green light, except the sleep mode on. You literally have to ghetto these speakers with some black tape to block this bright light. Speakers sound good, but for $1400, these options should've been included.

Of course, these are added options on the more expensive models, where you have to spend like 1k more to have them. I couldn't care less about GLM and all that stuff, how difficult it was to add the option to turn off an LED light? LED light bulbs and a switcher in the back would be cheap pennies, at $1400? no wayyy

Speakers are cute, but they look more like computer speakers than studio monitor, for better or worse. I like the design, but the green light is really annoying.

If you think these speakers are overpriced, why buy? Go for something else. Its a free world.
These speakers are marketed for studio use. If you want RCA, buy the G three. (or buy the 10 dollar cable...)

Well, I read GLM is a godsend. I use DIY corrections with REW measurements and a DSP.
Also, big difference. I have these 8030's now, if I would choose again, I would consider the 8340's with GLM.

Lilith

Maybe I should just leave my computer on all the time lol

another option is a power sequencer

apparently this pop is normal and the only way to avoid this is following the proper sequence

turning on speaker last and turning them off first

so the only way to simplify this is putting them in a surge protector
This is how it do it always. Turn on speakers last turn them off first.

Trell

Major Contributor
The 8030C have auto-standby (Genelec call it ISS) so usually no need to manually turn the monitors on/off.

Pancreas

The 8030C have auto-standby (Genelec call it ISS) so usually no need to manually turn the monitors on/off.

when i had this activated they would still pop because they "go to sleep" last after i turn off my computer and the interface that is getting from it

Pancreas

When you follow proper sequence as in speakers off first and on last.

When you power them on and off with the button on the back. Do you hear a very slight pop?

I hear a very quiet pop from the left speaker but not much from the right. I read Genelec said is normal. Not every speaker behaves the same.

Lilith

When you follow proper sequence as in speakers off first and on last.

When you power them on and off with the button on the back. Do you hear a very slight pop?

I hear a very quiet pop from the left speaker but not much from the right. I read Genelec said is normal. Not every speaker behaves the same.
I have the Neumann KH120 and they do not pop.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Omg, this is so ridiculous. Sell them and give us a rest.
Yep, it's gotten ridiculous, I don't think it deserves further discussion - it's had 4 full pages!

unpluggged

I own Genelec 8030c, so technically, I'm ON topic
This is a review discussion thread, not a troubleshooting one. It would be much better if you'd start a separate topic, that would also help bringing more attention to your issue.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fine if you'd limited it to just one page or something - it seems you're just going around in circles and you've had more than one working solution offered to you to solve the problem, so the way I see it - case closed.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No you are not Sir. As you have already been notified by other members. This is an Official Product Review Thread. We want to keep the conversation rooted in the test results of the review found on page 1, post 1. Please start a separate thread for your questions. Thank you for your understanding and support. ;)

RickNRoll

Do you get a pop or thump sound when windows starts or restarts? It always happens, even if the speakers are on and not sleeping. If I decide to restart windows, then when the computer logo appear, it makes a low thump, then another one before entering the screen where you put your password

I'm on windows 10

I think is related to windows rather than the speakers as they're new basically

I read it could be "sound scheme engaging and disengaging" but dont know how to disable that or change the sound

I wonder if is caused by the fact that I have the Genelec sleep mode on. Unlikely cause I never let them go to sleep. I turn off my surge protector before I go to sleep, then turn it on when I'm going to use the computer in the day. When I turn it on, the speaker do make a thump noise as well, probably from the current waking them up?

That doesn't explain why it still happens when they are already on, but only on windows startup or restart.
I've had that and it's really annoying, plus it puts undue strain on the speakers. I have just upgraded to a Focusrite 4i4 and the problem is gone.

They just have to design the circuits to mute everything till the power has stabilised but that costs money.

Top Bottom