• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030 + additional speaker set desk position

LB82

Hello to everyone,

It's my first post here, I've been reading this forum a lot lately and found many useful informations. Last week I finally decided to buy a set of Genelec 8030 for my recording studio and I'm very happy with them, the monitors I've used in this last years are Yamaha HS50M and JBL LSR 305 Mk 1.

I would like to ask some opinions on how to place a secondary set of speakers near the 8030, after some days of listening to learn the 8030 I find both the Yamaha and JBL to sound weird/bad compared to the Genelecs but I need at least 2 pairs of speakers + headphone for mixing/mastering reference anyway.
I'm deciding if keeping the Yamaha or the JBL to pair with the Genelecs, I would also appreciate any suggestion on this choice.

Space is tight so I have to put the 2 sets next to each other, I used to position them by aligning the front side of the speakers to have no offset but I was wondering if anyone here can give me more opinions on how to position them to make the less "damage" to the listening quality. I attach a picture of my desk, the room is fully treated with Rockwool bass traps in corners, walls and ceiling.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_080058.jpg
    IMG_20230417_080058.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 143
OP
L

LB82

I would look at IK Multimedia iLoud MtM or the newer Precision series, since your space is limited.
I would like to keep one of the 2 sets I already have (HS50M or LSR305), the iLoud are not than much smaller than the Yamaha. The main question was about speaker placement

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It would help to understand why you need to retain the speakers. Ideally you would have only one pair in such a small space. What do you gain with the second pair?

OP
L

LB82

It would help to understand why you need to retain the speakers. Ideally you would have only one pair in such a small space. What do you gain with the second pair?
It is very common in mixing rooms to have at least 2 pairs of speakers, it's the first test on how a mix translates

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It is very common in mixing rooms to have at least 2 pairs of speakers, it's the first test on how a mix translates
If you read my sig you will see I've spent time as an engineer in large, complex recording studios. I'm well aware that there are often massive main monitors, nearfield monitors and 'orribletones. But they do different things and are used differently. You seem to be wanting two sets of roughly the same class in the same physical space, which is why I asked.

OP
L

LB82

If you read my sig you will see I've spent time as an engineer in large, complex recording studios. I'm well aware that there are often massive main monitors, nearfield monitors and 'orribletones. But they do different things and are used differently. You seem to be wanting two sets of roughly the same class in the same physical space, which is why I asked.
That's correct, nothing wrong with having 2 pairs of nearfields

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
OP
L

LB82

Fair enough.

Why do you want our advice?
I've written it: "...how to place a secondary set of speakers near the 8030..." and
"I''m deciding if keeping the Yamaha or the JBL to pair with the Genelecs, I would also appreciate any suggestion on this choice."

Top Bottom