• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers on desk - reflections

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
My new set up is planned to have a pair of studio monitors on top of a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO200 stands on a desk - probably at a fairly low extension.

Due to where/how there'll be positioned, there will still be 10cm-20cm of naked desk in front of the speakers, and I wonder if there's a chance of reflections from that area of desk.

And, if there is, what can be done? Some sort of foam, or soft material?

Many thanks.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
you could angle them upwards, this should minimise reflections, it's good to measure afterward, could be enough depending on directivity properties of the monitors

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

My new set up is planned to have a pair of studio monitors on top of a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO200 stands on a desk - probably at a fairly low extension.

Due to where/how there'll be positioned, there will still be 10cm-20cm of naked desk in front of the speakers, and I wonder if there's a chance of reflections from that area of desk.

Many thanks.
Depends on the size of the desk. The desk will reflect sound that is smaller than it. Otherwise, diffraction occurs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, this will happen.
Put the speakers higher (tweeter at ear height). It worked great with my Genelec 8020a.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Yes, this will happen.

Put the speakers higher (tweeter at ear height). It worked great with my Genelec 8020a.

Cheers. Again, I already plan to do this, on a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO200 stands.

I’m sure that will negate some (probably most) of the issue, but I’m just wondering if a small issue remains, and what -if anything - can be done.

Or, having put the speakers in stands, and tilted upwards, should I not be worrying at all.

The monitors are JBL 308P Mk.2. By my calculations, they’ll need to be on the minimum extension, and a modest tilt.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers. Again, I already plan to do this, on a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO200 stands.

I’m sure that will negate some (probably most) of the issue, but I’m just wondering if a small issue remains, and what -if anything - can be done.

Or, having put the speakers in stands, and tilted upwards, should I not be worrying at all.

The monitors are JBL 308P Mk.2. By my calculations, they’ll need to be on the minimum extension, and a modest tilt.
If you put the tweeter at ear height there is no need for an upwards tilt. I have no audible problems with this setup on my desktop.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
If you put the tweeter at ear height there is no need for an upwards tilt. I have no audible problems with this setup on my desktop.

The kit isn’t here yet. The IsoAcoustics don’t have infinite adjustments for height and tilt, and as far as I can tell, the ‘legs’ would put the tweeters just below or just above ear level. I’ll know more when they’re here.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This chap doesn't seem to worried about it!

studiososbrettatdesk-z3qmtqTlcdUVAOSHnlRltOBKD2G2pCnT.jpg

Although the article says...

...and that the desk surface is significantly lower than the monitors, so as to avoid strong reflections bouncing off the desk and into your face. If in doubt, put a mirror flat on your desk between you and the speakers, and if you can see the speaker, particularly the tweeter, when you look in the mirror, you have a potential reflection problem which should be addressed by moving the speakers if possible. Where the speakers must stand on a desk or shelf, foam isolation pads help keep the sound clean, and some products also provide a means to angle the speakers up or down if necessary.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The kit isn’t here yet. The IsoAcoustics don’t have infinite adjustments for height and tilt, and as far as I can tell, the ‘legs’ would put the tweeters just below or just above ear level. I’ll know more when they’re here.
You can always put a book underneath the stand or speaker.

Top Bottom