• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full Range Speakers, under $5k

Krunok

Major Contributor
As an overall package, I do think they are genuine alternatives to Performa3s (though I suspect Revel has the edge in compression and distortion due to the Klippel work and SB Acoustics drivers).

Funny thing about distortion is that we care so much of it in the front line of our chain (DACs, preamps, amps) but at the very end of the chain, where one would expect the distortions to matter most (as it is in the range of 0.1%-0.5% even for very good speakers) it seems that it is simply not the case.

Again I remember the fact that Toole's 500 pages book has only 2 pages about speakers distortion and the conclusion is pretty much this:

"In the general population of consumer loudspeakers, it has been very rare for distortion to be identified as a factor in the overall subjective ratings. This is not because distortion is not there or is not measurable, but it is low enough that it is not an obvious factor in judgments of sound quality at normal foreground listening levels."

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cerwin Vega XLS 215.

The muscle car of speakers, an Alpha man's speaker, like Conan it will crush the Revel and see your enemies driven before you.

xls215.jpg

Review:

http://www.cerwinvega.com/content/pdf/AudioVideoRevolution-XLS-Review-Reprint.pdf

Life is short ride, own a brute while you still can and before you shuffle off to a nursing home.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cerwin Vega XLS 215.

The muscle car of speakers, an Alpha man's speaker, like Conan it will crush the Revel and see your enemies driven before you.

xls215.jpg

Review:

http://www.cerwinvega.com/content/pdf/AudioVideoRevolution-XLS-Review-Reprint.pdf

Life is short ride, own a brute while you still can and before you shuffle off to a nursing home.

This is an interesting suggestion. back in the days REG of TAS fame reviewed it and liked it. TAS REVIEW CLICK HERE At its low price it deserves audition and I, for one, would like to see its measurements. Could it be the Atom of speakers?

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
If the loudspeakers cost $ 3500 like Revel Performa3 F206, spending at least 1% on the filter components (at wholesale price) does not seem like a crazy expense, I think. At least $ 20.

BTW, Cerwin Vega XLS 215 crossover does not have electrolytic capacitors like Revel!

I rarely agree with Maty, but he has the point here - electrolytic caps should really have no place in a XO of such expensive speakers.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I rarely agree with Maty, but he has the point here - electrolytic caps should really have no place in a XO of such expensive speakers.

What would we do without Maty?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RE: R11

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1300-kef-r11-loudspeakers
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...nded-reference-component-kef-r11-loudspeakers
View attachment 34656
Note the funky dip at 60hz.
There is a Best Buy/Magnolia less than a mile from my home which has these set up.
I have no idea where I could find a pair of Canton's.
Nearest retailer for Revel is in Austin, 3 hours away. Local Revel resellers are home automation/theater guys with no inventory.
I guarantee you the dip at 60hz is a measurement anachronism and not the actual response. Maybe the port resonance for example.

Krunok

Major Contributor
RE: R11

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1300-kef-r11-loudspeakers
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...nded-reference-component-kef-r11-loudspeakers
View attachment 34656
Note the funky dip at 60hz.
There is a Best Buy/Magnolia less than a mile from my home which has these set up.
I have no idea where I could find a pair of Canton's.
Nearest retailer for Revel is in Austin, 3 hours away. Local Revel resellers are home automation/theater guys with no inventory.

I wouldn't really pay attention to it - this was done in-room and dip like that could easilly be fixed.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The suckout at 3k is almost certainly a peak off axis. I would not equalize without seeing polars.

It exists in the same shapes in 15 and 30deg measurement. No harm equalizing it and try to listen how it would sound.

Reactions: 617

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding electrolytic- I use them for prototyping and yes they might drift in value in 30 years but they don't sound different from foil caps. I don't use them in final crossovers but there are q lot of very good speakers using electrolytics, especially for big values on woofer circuits. Same for the iron core inductors, which nobody has mentioned. If I had the choice between revel drivers and electrolytics or cheaper drivers and polypropylene I'd choose revel every time.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding your bass concerns. People tend to measure bass by looking at the f3. This is only part of what makes great bass. A speaker making 40hz with two 8 inch drivers will be able to produce a lot of musical bass very very loud with great impact. My last big speakers were similar, two Dayton reference 22cm per side. Four 8 inch drivers is a lot of surface area and I don't think you will be dissatisfied. You could easily end up with a speaker that does 30hz but with more distortion at a lower spl.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It exists in the same shapes in 15 and 30deg measurement. No harm equalizing it and try to listen how it would sound.
Yeah it cool be a cone edge resonance, which would explain why it wasn't corrected.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Regarding electrolytic- I use them for prototyping and yes they might drift in value in 30 years but they don't sound different from foil caps. I don't use them in final crossovers but there are q lot of very good speakers using electrolytics, especially for big values on woofer circuits. Same for the iron core inductors, which nobody has mentioned. If I had the choice between revel drivers and electrolytics or cheaper drivers and polypropylene I'd choose revel every time.

Once they dry out they will seriously affect sound as transfer characteristic of the XO would change.

And you are inventing a choice where there shouldn't be one: with a speaker of that price range you should get both, a good driver and foil caps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom