• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full Range Speakers, under $5k

rexracer

This old thread is misleading. The BG Neo Planar Magnetic Drivers measure better than this cherry picked set. This thread also fail to consider the dispersion of planar drivers which reduce sidewall and floor reflections leading to improved imaging, as well as reduce the very real but often ignored noise component consisting of intra-aural crosstalk. All noise components are important and should be considered.

redboat77

I rarely agree with Maty, but he has the point here - electrolytic caps should really have no place in a XO of such expensive speakers.
I speculate that the F226be and F228be get upgraded crossover components, but the Revel reps consider that information "proprietary". :(

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I speculate that the F226be and F228be get upgraded crossover components, but the Revel reps consider that information "proprietary". :(

I wouldn't bet on it having upgraded components.

Because if it did, the marketing literature would talk about it and the Revel reps would be bragging about it as a selling point.

You don't put expensive caps in your BOM and then keep quiet about it.

As a counter example:

My recent purchase is of the Dynaudio Heritage Special and they make a big deal about the special Mundorf "Evo Oil" caps it uses.

samysound

I wouldn't bet on it having upgraded components.

Because if it did, the marketing literature would talk about it and the Revel reps would be bragging about it as a selling point.

You don't put expensive caps in your BOM and then keep quiet about it.

As a counter example:

My recent purchase is of the Dynaudio Heritage Special and they make a big deal about the special Mundorf "Evo Oil" caps it uses.
Not sure how this compares to the regular performa3 but Revel does have this little blurb in their brochure for the Be line:
1610044234847.png

redboat77

Well, in the case, I guess they are bragging about it.
Revel, Ascend Acoustics, Salk Sound, and Philharmonic Audio all say they put premium components in their crossovers, although from what I can tell, Revel's upgraded components start in the F228Be line, and are not in the F208s. Revel claims it allows "engineers to extract nuances and details that would otherwise be lost..." Is this just marketing hype?

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Interesting that Revel, Ascend Acoustics, Salk Sound, and Philharmonic Audio all say they put premium components in their crossovers, although from what I can tell, Revel's upgraded components start in the F228Be line, and are not in the F208s. Revel claims it allows "engineers to extract nuances and details that would otherwise be lost..."

Putting them in the Be models and not the vanilla models sounds like standard pricing segment tiering to me.

Top Bottom