• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For Linux users, what is your favorite Desktop environment, and Distro?

storing

Forum Donor
And no one can forget MS's messing with the Start thing (which they pretty much got right with Win 95
Depends on what 'right' you're after I guess. These days I can (finally) just hit the start button and start typing the first couple of characters of the name of the thing I want, and it usually gets it right. Not always though, so yes in that regard it's messed up. And while it's still not close to a fuzzy matching launcher, which for me is the only sane way to ever launch anything - apart from taskbar icons perhaps - mainly because it's faster than anything else and is one single access point, at least I don't have to manually scan a list point-and-click style which is a waste of time if you know the name of what you need already. Which is what pre-Windows 10 was always like, IIRC?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mate is pretty easy and I use this on the few systems I've migrated over to get free from the Windows updating hell.
I never thought I'd get into using Gnome, I always hated it for a number of reasons. I was a hardcore KDE guy for 20 years but just something about it slowly started to turn me off. I felt it was getting too bloated and complicated. Then at some point I tried the Mate build that PCLOS was using and fell in love, never knowing it was a Gnome2 fork. It reminded me of the old KDE3, not too big and not too small, just right IMO. LOL
YMMV

zanlation

I made the switch from Win 10 to Pop OS on my daily driver a few months ago. I won't be going back to Win 10 any time soon. I love the clean and usable Pop OS interface. The adverts in Win 10 drove me nuts, especially after updates that override my desktop and start menu settings.

I have used Ubuntu on my home servers for a decade or so. As well as many distros in Virtual box.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I made the switch from Win 10 to Pop OS on my daily driver a few months ago. I won't be going back to Win 10 any time soon. I love the clean and usable Pop OS interface. The adverts in Win 10 drove me nuts, especially after updates that override my desktop and start menu settings.

I have used Ubuntu on my home servers for a decade or so. As well as many distros in Virtual box.
Doesn't it feel good when it seems like your OS is responsive to you rather than you having to adapt to it. And of course the OS isn't trying to grab any revenue from you at all.

adamcstephens

I'm running River on Arch. Nothing wrong with any of the DEs, just not my thing. I switched to sway from Gnome and haven't looked back. After a while I discovered river which has a simpler tiling structure that I prefer. I prefer to store as much as possible in config files, especially ones I can commit to my dotfiles, which eliminates many of the fancier environments.

Arch over Ubuntu/Debian because of the package availability and package declaration simplicity. There's a reason almost every small tool is packaged for Arch (or in the AUR). It's because writing a PKGBUILD is significantly easier than building a deb package.

On headless systems I use Ubuntu, though I've been shifting more and more to Alpine.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've used Ubuntu to run my music server and DSP for years.

Currently running Ubuntu Jammy LTS for my server. Very happy.

But I've not been able to use it as my daily driver at home.

Mainly because I am fully tied into Apple iCloud Drive (iPhone user also) and need Microsoft OneDrive + Office.

Personal stuff is all with iCloud Drive. OneDrive is for work only.

I'm quite happy with iCloud Drive security for all my documents for now (with 2 factor authentication of course and super strong password) - until I see an issue on the news to Apple.

I previously moved everything from Google to Apple. I'm not an Apple fanboy though. If I see a reason to move all my sh!t again, I won't hesitate.

I know there's good cloud backup/drive options on Linux that also have iOS apps (so can access on the go) but not as seemless yet.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I know there's good cloud backup/drive options on Linux that also have iOS apps (so can access on the go) but not as seemless yet.

Dropbox works flawlessly. I’ve been using it across my Mac/Linux/iOS systems for years.

nerdstrike

Ever since the great Ubuntu One debacle with their everything is touchscreen redesign, I have always been sore about using Ubuntu distros. Nothing wrong with the Apt underneath though! I lean mintwards, with either xfce or whatever.

Anyone remember when Enlightenment was going to be all exciting and slick? I don't think they ever got ahead of the curve.

600_OHM

I feel so old. For me it was anything with TWM and xClock. Slackware and NetBSD come to mind.

Props to the Raspberry Pi desktop folk (for both rpi and pc/mac versions), since they take the LXDE environment and tweak the underlying Debian distro and the desktop environment to kinda' humanize and maybe oversimplify it. That's all it is really, Debian with a customized LXDE to their tastes so that people don't go too gaga over it, and get on with other things.

There is one guy there, who is into the whole Apple usability thing, and tweaks the LXDE to make things a smoother fit to setup without having to do any "drill downs" to get the setup right for non-computer savvy nerds unlike us. Including special fonts and whatnot. Automatic updates yadda yadda...

These days my interests are booting and *running* from fast USB, so I usually stick with the defaults. That way I don't have to bother what's already on the machine, be it a Windows install, or a full Ubuntu install. My "install" is only to a usb drive.

Knoppix 9.1 is one such distro (NEVER update it - just wait for semi-yearly releases). LXDE default, but you can choose among others at boot time - that thing is a kitchen sink!)

Porteus
NomadBSD (for those who like BSD, but still filled with gnu stuff. Makes a groovy usb)

.. and a whole host of others if you don't want to touch your existing install and just want to run from usb when desired...

Last edited:
Top Bottom